Growing At Altitude - From Nu-B

urankjj

Any issues when growing at higher altitudes,(geographic elevation), that is. I'm in the mountains of the south west U.S, @ about 6000 ft. Thankx ahead....

Hi urankjj -- Wow, I think that's actually a brand new question! The only problem I can think of when growing while high is messing up the arithmetic when mixing up the fertilizer. ;)

(Somebody had to make the dumb joke, so it might as well be me.)

But seriously, I can't think of how high elevation would be a problem. Outdoors the sunlight is more intense, but that's a good thing usually, and temps can drop a lot, but I would expect that a plant grown outdoors would adapt as long as its getting plenty of sun.

Getting into the noodley theoretical area, maybe CO2 concentration is a little lower than at sea level, but I don't think that would be a problem for most grows, though maybe if you're going for ultra champion flowers you might want to consider a little CO2 supplementation when you're ready to go for bud of the month...

But really, I think you're good.

Check out the grow journals here and start one of your own!

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.--- I'll try to run the important numbers before I get to elevated :thumb: Do you think that the variety to be grown, (mountain, island, forest, desert, Mars, etc.) should be a pertinent consideration prior to planting ?

Do you think that the variety to be grown, (mountain, island, forest, desert, Mars, etc.) should be a pertinent consideration prior to planting ?

I have seen different strains rated for size, how easy they are to grow, potency, indoor/outdoor, etc, but never for altitude. Maybe some of the growers in Colorado or your neighborhood could weigh in on that.

A couple of thoughts that come to mind: At high altitude you often have a shorter growing season (I remember snow on the 5th of July at 4000 feet once...) so something that matures fairly quickly (an autoflower with an 11 or 12 week growth cycle?) could be good.

And something that the seed purveyor lists as easy to grow would probably be good for your first go-round. How about an easy, feminized autoflower like White Widow? (I love the look of White Widow and want to grow it next.) Early Miss has a 7 week flowering time, so maybe as little at 10 weeks total?

Basically, though, I suspect that anything that is grown in good soil with good fertilizer, plenty of light, and loving attention should do well. :)

Back
Top Bottom