A question about LED lighting for Vegging plants

My grow operation is quite small with a 2' x 2' x 4' tent with a 450 watt LED light fixture. The fixture has two switches, a VEG switch and a BLOOM switch. The instructions say to flip on just the VEG switch until flowering when you would turn on the BLOOM switch also and have both turned on.

My question is this..........Would the plant not receive more beneficial light with both switches turned on the whole time? That is what I'm thinking, but I do not know and asking is how I'll learn. What do you think?

Old school thinking is that the blues promote plant growth and the reds promote flowering. While I don't think it will cause a problem to run both sides (like the sun) I'm not sure it will help much either. Try it out :)

I'm guessing they put these switches on to save a little hydro.

I'm no light expert but I think newer models are running full spectrum all the time.

Would the plant not receive more beneficial light with both switches turned on the whole time?

Good thinking! Cannabis loves light. The more the better. Flame on! (And don't be afraid to try moving that light closer than what the instructions suggest. Usually the suggested distance is too far.)

Good thinking! Cannabis loves light. The more the better. Flame on! (And don't be afraid to try moving that light closer than what the instructions suggest. Usually the suggested distance is too far.)

I had the light at 12" above the plants when I had just the VEG light on. After turning the BLOOM light on too I noticed two of the plants started to show some signs of heat stress with the sides of the leaves curling upward like a letter V. So I moved it up to 18" and they seem to be relaxing now. I'll keep my eyes on them.

I had the light at 12" above the plants when I had just the VEG light on. After turning the BLOOM light on too I noticed two of the plants started to show some signs of heat stress with the sides of the leaves curling upward like a letter V. So I moved it up to 18" and they seem to be relaxing now. I'll keep my eyes on them.

Cool that you have determined what the maximum is.

Back
Top Bottom