Flowering & budding seems behind schedule - Temperature? Light?

dogtomato

420 Member
I've got three plants in flower since October 20th, so as of 12/8 coming up on week 7/day 50. The buds just don't look as big as what I've seen (generally) in grow journals that are at this stage. I'm guessing it could be two things: temperature, since it's been averaging low 60s and occasionally dipping into the upper 50s; or light - the tent has just one 300W Mars covering a 2'x3' space.

This is my first grow - any feedback is greatly appreciated! Should I throw a space heater in there for a bit???

(One is a feminized White Cookies, the other two are auto haze. When the 2 autos started to flower, I threw all three into the flower tent.)

re: Flowering & budding seems behind schedule - Temperature? Light?

I've got three plants in flower since October 20th, so as of 12/8 coming up on week 7/day 50. The buds just don't look as big as what I've seen (generally) in grow journals that are at this stage. I'm guessing it could be two things: temperature, since it's been averaging low 60s and occasionally dipping into the upper 50s; or light - the tent has just one 300W Mars covering a 2'x3' space.

This is my first grow - any feedback is greatly appreciated! Should I throw a space heater in there for a bit???

(One is a feminized White Cookies, the other two are auto haze. When the 2 autos started to flower, I threw all three into the flower tent.)

Your plants look healthy. What are you feeding during flower ? Looks very green still. During flower you should cut back on the N and up the P and K.

re: Flowering & budding seems behind schedule - Temperature? Light?

60's okay for lights off but generally you want to sit in the sweet spot between 65f-85f. Anything above or below can cause your plants to slow down. I had this issue at the higher end in the 90's and my plants took an extra 2 weeks to finish because the heat slowed growth.

Thanks, guys!

Re: feeding - the whole time they've been getting cal-mag and Superthrive. When I put them in the tent, I switched from Dynagro's 9-6-3 to their bloom 3-12-6, so it's been those three for 7 weeks with PH between 5.5 and 6. 2 weeks ago, I added Earth Juice Catalyst. Should I up the P + K even more? I'm planting in soil (nursery blend of peat and perlite - no added nutes) and have been sticking to 1.5ML/gallon of the three (total of 4.5ML/gallon) plus PH adjuster.

I also cut some of the larger fan leaves off that were blocking the lower buds - that was about 4 weeks ago. Maybe 10 per plant? Then I read that's a bad idea - stresses out the plant - so I haven't done it again since...

I'll try to get it into the high 60s during the day. I don't mind waiting - I just don't want to affect the yield. Cannabeard, was your yield down on that hot grow?

Thanks, guys!

Re: feeding - the whole time they've been getting cal-mag and Superthrive. When I put them in the tent, I switched from Dynagro's 9-6-3 to their bloom 3-12-6, so it's been those three for 7 weeks with PH between 5.5 and 6. 2 weeks ago, I added Earth Juice Catalyst. Should I up the P + K even more? I'm planting in soil (nursery blend of peat and perlite - no added nutes) and have been sticking to 1.5ML/gallon of the three (total of 4.5ML/gallon) plus PH adjuster.

I also cut some of the larger fan leaves off that were blocking the lower buds - that was about 4 weeks ago. Maybe 10 per plant? Then I read that's a bad idea - stresses out the plant - so I haven't done it again since...

I'll try to get it into the high 60s during the day. I don't mind waiting - I just don't want to affect the yield. Cannabeard, was your yield down on that hot grow?
Sounds good but I have heard to stop using superthrive during flower. Not sure will have to research and get back to you on that.

You will never really get big buds while using LED from what iv seen on quite a fair few posts, but i have noticed people say you get quality rather than quantity.

If you want big buds aswell as a nice yield go for a hps light, if you have the perfect environment the you can then think of adding flower nutes.

If you have got autos running in the same tent dont expect them to yield alot being on a 12/12 schedule, to get the benefit from an auto you really need to run them 20-4/24-0.

I think your light could be stronger. The temperature as mentioned above could be a bit warmer. What kind of plant are you growing?

Have you checked for light leaks. Is your 12/22 discipline good?

They look healthy, and you’re right. They should be a couple of weeks further along, but they look to be right at the time that things start moving apace. I’d check for leaks. If you can get more light, I would do that too. Other than that your good to go.

OK, I've upped the temp to mid/upper 60s during the day. @Calvados - the big one is White Cookies and the other two are auto amnesia haze. I'm going to move the autos to the 18/6 room and add another (white) light to the tent tonight. (The white cookies is my pride and joy - she was vegging from July until October and she's super bushy and healthy.)

12/12 discipline is good (timer and no peeking), but there could be light leaks... my tent is a DIY number. Heavy duty tarp sealed with duct tape around a wood frame. There's a little leakage at the floor and along the seams, and I probably should've gone with the "extra heavy duty", or doubled up on the tarp.

I'm going to address all the issues you guys mentioned and post more pics in 2 weeks. Thanks for all your help!! This site is the best.

The best way to check for light leaks is to turn on all lights outside, get in it, and seal it up. If you can't see, you're looking good. :cool: Duct tape any problems. Open vents with netting should be fine, but you'll know that when you check.

It's been a little over two weeks since i made some adjustments, so we're into week 9 of flower (day 66).

White cookies got an increase (strength, not hours) to lighting and temperature raised from high 50s/low 60s to high 60s/low 70s. (I'd go higher if I could!!) The Amnesia Haze Auto got put into the 14/10 area with a stronger light over it as well, but couldn't raise temps for them.

Overall, though, the AHA seemed to improve quite a bit. WC got a lot more frosty, but bud development is still crawling.

I guess my issue now is not wanting to harvest too late - I'd like to avoid the couch-lock effect of overly-mature stuff and would rather err on the side of harvesting too early...

Anyways, here's where we are. Amnesia Haze auto:
IMG_824910.JPG

IMG_82438.JPG

And the White Cookies:
IMG_82417.JPG
IMG_82388.JPG

Back
Top Bottom