How do you mix your nutrients in the proper & efficient way?

DontEvenAsk

420 Member
Do you guys mix all your nutrients at once, and THEN add them to the reservoir? Or do you take it one by one.

EXAMPLE: Do you mix all your nutrients (Cal Mag, SVA, SVB, etc...) into one mixture, and then pour it into the water reservoir?

or pour the nutrients into the reservoir one by one and then stir after each one? (Cal mag then mix... SVA then mix... SVB then mix...)

Just wondering if there was any difference.

re: How do you mix your nutrients in the proper & efficient way?

I always add my cal-mag first then the nutrients. After that I PH the water and then add z7. If you add you mixture one at a time you can see what each one does to your ph also.

How do you mix your nutrients the proper/efficient way?

I always add my cal-mag first then the nutrients. After that I PH the water and then add z7. If you add you mixture one at a time you can see what each one does to your ph also.

What about in coco should I use first using advance nutrients ?

I usually go right now

Example tap water 150 ppm in 1 gal jug
3 drops mammoth p .
Cal mag
Root enhancers
Then miix grow micro bloom base
? So where would z7 be added ?

Thanks got a ratio lined up .

Can use your feedback if ya don't mind man .

My first job out of college was mixing hundreds of gallons of nutrient solutions every week at a bioengineering facility, so I've got some experience with this and offer you these pearls of wisdom from a former professional nute mixer. ;)

First, I would suggest checking with the manufacturer of your fertilizer, or at least reading the bottle labels carefully.

For example, here's what General Hydroponics says:
When using Armor Si and/or CALiMAGic, with Flora Series, these products should be added prior to adding FloraMicro.

That means that for GH nutes, the sequence is:
  1. Si and or Ca/Mg
  2. Micronutrients
  3. Everything else (e.g. FloraGro and FloraBloom)

I believe this has something to do with Ca/Mg and micronutrients being in a basic solution and the others being in acidic solution.

In any case, put them in in the right order or the nutrients will be (in GH's words) "locked out"! (I think what happens is they crash out of solution at the wrong pH and form an insoluble precipitate at the bottom of the mixing vessel.)

Three more thoughts:
  • Just like a good cook, do your calculations first, and write them down (e.g. .75 ml of X per gallon in 5 gallons = 3.75 ml of X). Don't do your calculations in your head and on the fly.
  • Pay attention! If you're anything like me, it's super easy to get distracted in the middle of measuring and adding the contents of four or more bottles to the soup. If you're lucky, you catch your mistake and you just have to pour it out and start over. If you're unlucky, maybe you damage your grow.
  • Take notes and hold onto them. You may be surprised how often you refer back to them. I keep a spreadsheet.

In my experience with GH nutes in my very soft water, the pH comes out at the right level all by itself. If you do decide to adjust the pH, bear in mind that you are fighting the solution's buffers which are there to resist changes in pH! So add your pH Up/Down but then allow plenty of time for it to interact with the buffering system and the pH to stabilize. That may mean waiting over night. If your water is hard and you have to add a lot of pH Down, that goes double.

<edit> Oh, and bear in mind that much of the benefit of using expensive modern fertilizers is that they are formulated with nutrients in different chemical forms and nutes are chelated and buffers are added, all so the fertilizer works well over a broad range of pHs! So you really don't have to dial in the pH to exactly X.yy. Seriously.

Happy mixing!

I would suggest checking with the manufacturer of your fertilizer, or at least reading the bottle labels carefully.

For example, here's what General Hydroponics says:
When using Armor Si and/or CALiMAGic, with Flora Series, these products should be added prior to adding FloraMicro.

That means that for GH nutes, the sequence is:
  1. Si and or Ca/Mg
  2. Micronutrients
  3. Everything else (e.g. FloraGro and FloraBloom)

I believe this has something to do with Ca/Mg and micronutrients being in a basic solution and the others being in acidic solution.

In any case, put them in in the right order or they will be (in GH's words) "locked out"! (I think what happens is they crash out of solution and form an insoluble precipitate at the bottom of the mixing vessel.)

Three more thoughts:
  • Just like a good cook, do your calculations first, and write them down (e.g. .75 ml of X per gallon in 5 gallons = 3.75 ml of X).
  • Pay attention! If you're anything like me, it's super easy to get distracted in the middle of adding the contents of four or more bottles to the soup. If you're lucky, you just have to pour it out and start over. If you're unlucky, maybe you damage your grow.
  • Take notes and hold onto them. You may be surprised how often you refer back to them. I keep a spreadsheet.

How does cal mag by gh play a role in its growning stages through its course?

I understand as it it'll hits flower cal mag is twice as much needed and my micro spiked my ppm high so that allows me to put a lot of growbase or bloom
Base without barely in spike increase?

So a little in sure of what I'm working with I guess thanks need to figure this out. Thanks for making me think ?

Re: How do you mix your nutrients the proper/efficient way?

What about in coco should I use first using advance nutrients ?

I usually go right now

Example tap water 150 ppm in 1 gal jug
3 drops mammoth p .

Cal mag
Root enhancers
Then miix grow micro bloom base
? So where would z7 be added ?

Thanks got a ratio lined up .

Can use your feedback if ya don’t mind man .

Hey King, I have never used coco so I really can't help there. I always add z7 last after the reservoir has had time for the ph to be stable.

I have been following culitvators methods for coco. I start with RO. Calmag it to 150ppm add the base nutes to a specific ppm then add any additives. After everything is in the solution then i adjust the ph. With RO as a base i have to ph up. I set it for 5.5-5.6 and let it sit overnight. It will rise .2 to .4 over that period. I readjust the ph if needed and its pretty stable. I always try to keep it at 5.7 to 5.8

Do you guys mix all your nutrients at once, and THEN add them to the reservoir? Or do you take it one by one.

EXAMPLE: Do you mix all your nutrients (Cal Mag, SVA, SVB, etc...) into one mixture, and then pour it into the water reservoir?

or pour the nutrients into the reservoir one by one and then stir after each one? (Cal mag then mix... SVA then mix... SVB then mix...)

Just wondering if there was any difference.

From everything i have read nutes go into the water seperate. You dont mix concentrated nutes together by themselves.

Hi guys. As a NOOB I'm very confused about nutrients!!! And I have had so much information from people! It's been amazing. It's the calmag thing again. I have a Coco and biobizz light mix , mix . For a full story you can look at my thread "A winter garden rescue". But the question! Do I use calmag in every feed??? I just don't really know what to look for??

I use a wilma water pump, i mix 20L everytime, i simply just put the pump in the middle and pour the nutes into the intake and it circulates around for about 15 mins, tested this with PPM and PH, all 10 samples i pulled out of the tub were all the same PPM/PH.

Great way to mix them and a pump will only cost you £10/$15.

Yea man I got a aquarium pump !!! Pushes about 500L a hour and a added bonus of a aquarium pump is you can add a filter to take out things from the water

Ohhhhh and you can attach air pipe to the Venturi system to add CO2 and oxygen to the water

Ive just mixed 20L there, it gives you the reasurance its all mixed together, i did try putting an airstone in while it was mixing but it knocked my PH all over, im lucky enough to get 5.8-6.2 Ph from the tap at 80 PPM.

Air stone may work better for others.

Nice. I don't understand my local water companies stats.

420-magazine-mobile148143405.jpg
I guess I'm the light green!

Hi guys. As a NOOB I'm very confused about nutrients!!! And I have had so much information from people! It's been amazing. It's the calmag thing again. I have a Coco and biobizz light mix , mix . For a full story you can look at my thread "A winter garden rescue". But the question! Do I use calmag in every feed??? I just don't really know what to look for??

Yeah if your feeding to run off under led in coco I would feed about 1 ml from day one per gal of cal mag . But make sure you look into your base nutes see if the biz as calcium . I think it hard to over dose cal mag . Least seems that way to me.

Thanks dude

You should pop along to see how my rescue plays out!!! Lol the more help I get the more chance I get of a harvest and I won't throw in the towel lol

Back
Top Bottom