First grow - Would like opinion on nutrient deficiency

Budfarmer08

Hey guys new here and would like some more experienced opinions on my grow. Want to make sure I treat the plants properly so hope you guys can lend a hand.

After doing extensive research looking at charts I initially thought it may have been a magnesium defficency but looking at a couple more charts and reading a few articles I now think it is a potassium deficiency. Let me know what you guys think and what a good course of action is.

Strain is supposedly Bruce banner and is 41 days old from seed
Soil is fox farms ocean forest
I use flora nova grow every 3rd watering
Light is a 300w mars hydro led
Grown in a 3 gal pot

I've noticed the inner yellowing on the bottom leaves with the growing on the edges as the leaves progress and die. I've also noticed some slight red on the leave stems but not the main stalk.

420-magazine-mobile1700125846.jpg

420-magazine-mobile993996386.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1294997132.jpg

More info will help folks help you out:
How to Ask for Grow Support

PH you are watering at? When did you start feeding them Nutes and are you using full dose or less? Have seen some threads that the Ocean Forest runs hot so you may have started Nutes too soon. I"m still rather new at this, but really the more info you can give the more accurate help folks that know more than me can give you, as really no such thing as "too much info" in growing.

More info will help folks help you out:
How to Ask for Grow Support

PH you are watering at? When did you start feeding them Nutes and are you using full dose or less? Have seen some threads that the Ocean Forest runs hot so you may have started Nutes too soon. I"m still rather new at this, but really the more info you can give the more accurate help folks that know more than me can give you, as really no such thing as "too much info" in growing.
Thanks I compeltly over looked the fact I did not include that.

I've been keeping my PH around 6.3-6.5 I waited about 3 1/2 weeks from potting in the Fox farms before adding additional nutes as I read it does run hot as well. And I am giving them a 1/4 strength of nutes currently.

So is Flora Nova Grow a complete fertilizer? Isn't it one bottle in a two or three bottle solution? If so, if you're not adding the other components in proportion, you will get a deficiency. (Usually the "Grow" part of a multibottle solution is high in nitrogen and lower/missing potassium and phosphorous.)

A couple more things: It's best to show the leaf while it's still attached to give context <edit> I think I can actually see it still attached at the bottom of the last photo?</edit> and photos in white light are much more useful than blurple.

I think your plant looks pretty good!

So is Flora Nova Grow a complete fertilizer? Isn't it one bottle in a two or three bottle solution? If so, if you're not adding the other components in proportion, you will get a deficiency. (Usually the "Grow" part of a multibottle solution is high in nitrogen and lower/missing potassium and phosphorous.)

A couple more things: It's best to show the leaf while it's still attached to give context <edit> I think I can actually see it still attached at the bottom of the last photo?</edit> and photos in white light are much more useful than blurple.

I bought the 2 pack flora nova grow/bloom. I've read of people only using that so I assumed it would be alright (again I'm a newbie so still learning) I assumed the grow was for the veg state and the bloom was for the flower stage.
Flora Nova is a 7-4-10 so it should have plenty of potassium but maybe I am not administering enough or I may have a lockout?

And right! Only pictures I had at the time of posting but I went down and took some more

Here's a top view
420-magazine-mobile1479952337.jpg

Here's a shot of a damaged leaf
420-magazine-mobile1914124066.jpg

Another side view
420-magazine-mobile1227464124.jpg

And a younger plant that is showing the same signs. This strain is a Cinderella 99
420-magazine-mobile1418770670.jpg

I bought the 2 pack flora nova grow/bloom. I've read of people only using that so I assumed it would be alright (again I'm a newbie so still learning) I assumed the grow was for the veg state and the bloom was for the flower stage.

I looked, and the feed chart says to feed them (as you knew buy I didn't) separately, Grow in veg and Bloom during bloom. (I was thinking of FloraSeries in which you use three bottles simultaneously at different levels.)

Flora Nova is their complete fertilizer including micro-nutrients sold in a Grow and Bloom, Flora Series is 3-parter you're thinking of Scientific. The Flora Nova should have absolutely everything he needs in it. Potent stuff too.

Just by taking a look at your plants, I'm suspecting over-watering is your main culprit. The red stems point to phosphorous in addition to potassium, and I'm seeing other signs of it, like the leaves being firm but drooping downward, and very defined intervenial ridges. Over watering will cause lockout of various nutrients and cause other necrotic and chlorotic spots as the roots struggle for oxygen.

How often are you watering?

Flora Nova is their complete fertilizer including micro-nutrients sold in a Grow and Bloom, Flora Series is 3-parter you're thinking of Scientific. The Flora Nova should have absolutely everything he needs in it. Potent stuff too.

Just by taking a look at your plants, I'm suspecting over-watering is your main culprit. The red stems point to phosphorous in addition to potassium, and I'm seeing other signs of it, like the leaves being firm but drooping downward, and very defined intervenial ridges. Over watering will cause lockout of various nutrients and cause other necrotic and chlorotic spots as the roots struggle for oxygen.

How often are you watering?
I tend to water every 2-3 days. I wait till the top of the soil is dry and I water until I see the runoff in the bottom of my pot (I'm using frabric smart pots)

Hey buddy plants are looking good, I wouldn't be too concerned, just a bit too much of some things and not enough of others I think... I would imagine the issues is the watering schedule. Water them daily if you can, and water till it trickles out the bottom then stop watering.. they can really do with watering every 24 to even 12 hours with enough coco and perlite in that soil mix.. As far as feeding goes, for plants that age I'd be feeding them 2/3 or a bit less even every second day, I use nutrientless soil for grows like that, so in your scenario I'd be using 1/3 food, like a really weak coolaid / cordial mix for you.
Enjoy buddy, water deep and true, it can take it with your set up, promise you'll see good results

Hey buddy plants are looking good, I wouldn't be too concerned, just a bit too much of some things and not enough of others I think... I would imagine the issues is the watering schedule. Water them daily if you can, and water till it trickles out the bottom then stop watering.. they can really do with watering every 24 to even 12 hours with enough coco and perlite in that soil mix.. As far as feeding goes, for plants that age I'd be feeding them 2/3 or a bit less even every second day, I use nutrientless soil for grows like that, so in your scenario I'd be using 1/3 food, like a really weak coolaid / cordial mix for you.
Enjoy buddy, water deep and true, it can take it with your set up, promise you'll see good results
Thanks for the info! I really appreciate everyone's help. Is there a measurable amount on average I should be giving watering them? Or watering untill I see drain out the bottom is fine?

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate everyone's help. Is there a measurable amount on average I should be giving watering them? Or watering untill I see drain out the bottom is fine?

Well I would have to strongly disagree with his recommendations. I have grown in Ocean forrest soil, it by no means has enough perlite (or any coco) to support such frequent watering and I can guarantee your plants would get worse. Especially since I am fairly certain that is what your problem is now.

When you see the dirt on top dry, there's still a lot of wet soil underneath. You can probably let them go 2-3 days longer than you have been. If you want a better idea how often they need watering, just don't water them until you see them wilt. They will bounce right back and it will give you a better idea how often they need water.

So maybe up his pk a bit ?

Soil mix like that (I see TheFertilizer disagrees with me but I'm gonna continue .) have plenty of nutrients locked away, and plants respond well when they are given "fresh" water each day to use the soil to its utmost.
I'm suggesting watering daily because it looks like the plant is sucking itself dry and finding pockets of unbalanced nutes throughout the soil.
You can water everyday because;
-Fabric Pots
-Peat moss retains heaps of oxygen when saturated
-Contray to Ferts beliefs, I was under the impression FoxFarm where still using Coco Coir in their worm farms, leading to a heavy coco substrate in the "worm castings"

With fabric pots and good soil it's nearly impossible to drown your plants, I've tried.. literally.. go grab the garden hose and leave it trickle slowly into the pot for a week and see how your plant looks at the end..
✌️

I recently picked up a soil moisture meter. Very helpful in knowing the moisture level at different depths. The top is always dryer because of lights and air movement.

I saved me from over watering when the middle and bottom of the pot were still moist.

I recently picked up a soil moisture meter. Very helpful in knowing the moisture level at different depths. The top is always dryer because of lights and air movement.

I saved me from over watering when the middle and bottom of the pot were still moist.

Yeah I like the meters as well. Feeling the weight of the pot is often recommended the most, but I don't really have a great perception of the weight differences so I'd always over-water doing that. The problem is that not all the meters are as good as others. I have a RapidTest 4-in-1 meter that wouldn't know a dry pot of soil if you stuck it into the sandy Sahara. I "calibrate" mine, by letting the plants get a little wilted, and then putting the meter in to see what that level of moisture reads at. Then I just wait until it's a point or two above that level to water.

Back
Top Bottom