Nutrient question from a very noob

Droopydroors

So I just brought my first seed to harvest and it went smoothly. But I have a question on nutrients. I use FFOF and grow autos so there isn't much nutrients going on anyway but this is a general question. Do nutrients help your plant and flowers grow bigger or is that a genetic thing and the nutes just give the plant what it needs to stay healthy? I think I'm a bit confused because I hear some people say "It didn't need nutes till 3 weeks into flower" so that makes me think you just give them nutes when they show signs of needing it. So in my new grow I have been feeding the same schedule as my last and it's basically starting at 1/8 and moving to 1/2 over a few weeks alternating every other watering. I was thinking of going to nute, nute, water on this grow but would it make a difference or is it a waste? My tap water is very low ppm at 44 and 1/2 strength nutes with calmag get me to 650. Just something I have been wondering and have been curious about. Thank you in advance for helping a very GREEN grower learn.

> Do nutrients help your plant and flowers grow bigger
Yes, definitely. They of course get incorporated directly into plant tissues.

You are using a rich (and expensive) premium soil, so you don't need a lot of fertilizer because it's already in the soil.

> Do nutrients help your plant and flowers grow bigger
Yes, definitely. They of course get incorporated directly into plant tissues.

You are using a rich (and expensive) premium soil, so you don't need a lot of fertilizer because it's already in the soil.
Thank you. And yes I do realize this. But that is my question if I give them more nutrients and they do not show signs of burn does it help them grow bigger and stronger?

Thank you. And yes I do realize this. But that is my question if I give them more nutrients and they do not show signs of burn does it help them grow bigger and stronger?

I think that's the trick: you want to give them as much of everything they need as they can take so that no nutrient is limiting, but you don't want to push it so far that your get an excess. I pushed the nute level on the little dwarf I grew last summer until I started to see just the faintest yellowing at the tips of the leaves, then backed off. That's easier to do when you're growing hydroponically or in coco coir because you can take your foot off the gas so much faster...

Right at the edge (The burned tips got worse in the weeks following, even though I cut back immediately.)
2017-07-20_Day_51_003.JPG

Ok. That makes sense!! On my last grow I did notice at 1/2 of Flower nutes the very tips turned brown and it was just a little bit almost exactly like where yours are yellowed in that picture. Not knowing what I was doing I continued at 1/2 strength but the tips were the only thing that changed. So maybe they just needed got to much too fast? Because it did not go any further.

Ok. That makes sense!! On my last grow I did notice at 1/2 of Flower nutes the very tips turned brown and it was just a little bit almost exactly like where yours are yellowed in that picture. Not knowing what I was doing I continued at 1/2 strength but the tips were the only thing that changed. So maybe they just needed got to much too fast? Because it did not go any further.

If you got just the littlest bit of tip burn but it went no further, that seems like you've hit it just about perfectly (or that the plants nutrient needs continued to increase and you stayed at the same level so the burning stopped?).

The nice thing about sticking with one strain for a while is that you get to know just those sort of things about it. For instance that little dwarf couldn't even take half strength nutes. But it was wee. ;)

So I just brought my first seed to harvest and it went smoothly. But I have a question on nutrients. I use FFOF and grow autos so there isn't much nutrients going on anyway but this is a general question. Do nutrients help your plant and flowers grow bigger or is that a genetic thing and the nutes just give the plant what it needs to stay healthy? I think I'm a bit confused because I hear some people say "It didn't need nutes till 3 weeks into flower" so that makes me think you just give them nutes when they show signs of needing it. So in my new grow I have been feeding the same schedule as my last and it's basically starting at 1/8 and moving to 1/2 over a few weeks alternating every other watering. I was thinking of going to nute, nute, water on this grow but would it make a difference or is it a waste? My tap water is very low ppm at 44 and 1/2 strength nutes with calmag get me to 650. Just something I have been wondering and have been curious about. Thank you in advance for helping a very GREEN grower learn.
My autos use more nutes than my photos I use ionic grow n bloom good stuff and cheap too

My autos use more nutes than my photos I use ionic grow n bloom good stuff and cheap too
See that's why I'm doing my current grow with a bunch of things people say not to do with autos!! I've heard people say not to top autos but mine seem to be fine. So with the nutrients I'm going to try to push one of my girls to see what happens. I think some of this stuff just gets said so many times that it becomes "gospel" and things have changed. But I guess I will find out. Thank you.

So much folklore, so many different perspectives and experiences (and no small amount of plain old BS ;)).

You absolutely can (and should, IMHO) top autos (see the summer "dwarf on my deck" outdoor grow in my sig file).

Many people around here seem to say that autos use less nutrients than photoperiods, not more, but I imagine that varies for any of a dozen different reasons.

Ya gotta kinda take it all with a grain of salt and see what works for you I guess...

Top dem autos! ;)
2017-06-19_Day_20_1100_Topping_005.JPG

So much folklore, so many different perspectives and experiences (and no small amount of plain old BS ;)).

You absolutely can (and should, IMHO) top autos (see the summer "dwarf on my deck" outdoor grow in my sig file).

Many people around here seem to say that autos use less nutrients than photoperiods, not more, but I imagine that varies for any of a dozen different reasons.

Ya gotta kinda take it all with a grain of salt and see what works for you I guess...

Top dem autos! ;)
2017-06-19_Day_20_1100_Topping_005.JPG
Hahahaha!!! Yes sir!!! I just kinda held the stem and pushed on the top with my finger and it pops right off!!
Look at those 2 beautiful tops!!
420-magazine-mobile902060243.jpg

See that's why I'm doing my current grow with a bunch of things people say not to do with autos!! I've heard people say not to top autos but mine seem to be fine. So with the nutrients I'm going to try to push one of my girls to see what happens. I think some of this stuff just gets said so many times that it becomes "gospel" and things have changed. But I guess I will find out. Thank you.
Same here dude I always try to test things like one plant would get over dosed on nutes just to see how much is safe and this run my scrog is a photo so need to drop lights to 12-12 but got 6 autos and these 6 and better with much more thc already after only 5 weeks still 7 to go yeild looks close to what I normlay get too so thinking hard about doing 20 4 again

U can top every dutch passion auto I top all my autos all the time
cd87a1dbe1a37fdb8909ae2fb4a0a5e4.jpg

I always get to full straight start at half the bottle dose and build up I use bloom pk cal mag suoerthrive raw silica
Thank you. I'm using FF nutes with FFOF this grow but I'm going to slowly try to get to 3/4 strength or further. I do add calmag and superthrive. At 1/2 strength my ppm is around 650.

I don't use ppm even at 3/4 my plants needed more
d8cbf012e4948ba3f425ea8d4a4b622a.jpg
Ok. My first grow my one auto started showing calmag issues about 3 weeks before harvest. I originally thought my tap water would have enough calmag but when I got my meter my tap is pretty empty at 44ppm. So I'm using 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) per gallon with my nutes on this grow.

Ok. My first grow my one auto started showing calmag issues about 3 weeks before harvest. I originally thought my tap water would have enough calmag but when I got my meter my tap is pretty empty at 44ppm. So I'm using 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) per gallon with my nutes on this grow.
What lights and medium do u use leds use more cal mag and coco needs it.

Sorry, but I have to add a couple of thoughts here:
I think that notion that plants grown under LEDs need more Ca/Mg is an urban legend.
After coco coir gets saturated with Ca/Mg it doesn't need more "all the time."
See i grow with both leds and hps and notice a little bit more cal mag but not loads don't know why I wrote all the time just know it's needs it

Back
Top Bottom