Calmag PPMs through different stages

Hasnain

Hey guys, just a quick question:-

So I know that thru different stages of its life, Cannabis will require different PPMs.

I'm growing in cocopeat and right now my plant has started flowering. I'm planning on feeding my plant about 1200 PPM of my 3-part nute mix. + some water soluble Cal and Mag powder.

Now what I wanna know is; if my target is 1200 PPM, how much percentage of that 1200 should come from calmag... for example 300 PPM of calmag would be about 25% of the total mix.

Also, for example from that 300 ppm, how much should each cal and mag be?

what do you guys think?

Please let me know,

Thanks and Cheers!

FWIW, General Hydroponics has you add their CALiMAGic at a fairly constant dose of 5 ml/gallon each week from seedling to the end of blooming (though I think I was feeding it to my little dwarf at a constant 1.5 ml/gallon each week). I may have the PPMs that gives you in my notes somewhere...

The water here is so extremely soft that supplementing Ca/Mg is a must. Those who are growing with 200 PPM or whatever of CaCO3 naturally in their water probably don't need it.

FWIW, General Hydroponics has you add their CALiMAGic at a fairly constant dose of 5 ml/gallon each week from seedling to the end of blooming (though I think I was feeding it to my little dwarf at a constant 1.5 ml/gallon each week). I may have the PPMs that gives you in my notes somewhere...

The water here is so extremely soft that supplementing Ca/Mg is a must. Those who are growing with 200 PPM or whatever of CaCO3 naturally in their water probably don't need it.

Hey thanks,

So just to be clear I don't have a calmag liquid, I've got calcium and magnesium separately in the form of water soluble powders.

So are u saying that sticking to 200-300 PPM of cal and mag throughout the grow will be alright?

If so, how much ppm should each Calcium and Magnesium be?

I don't think ppm is the measurement you're looking for when it comes to CalMag. I use the liquid form so it's easy to measure per gallon. If it helps any I mix my nutes then test the ppm and adjust according to how much ml per gallon of each nutrient I am using. I'm currently using tap water and 2.5ml CalMag per gallon. You could dilute your powder and test that if you really want to know the base ppm. Hope this helps

I don't think ppm is the measurement you're looking for when it comes to CalMag. I use the liquid form so it's easy to measure per ...

Thanks!

I've already done a test, I used 0.1 grams of calcium nitrate powder and the same amount of magnesium sulphate powder and mixed them one by one with a liter of water.

I used distilled water so it had a negligible ppm of 3.

After mixing 0.1 grams of the calcium powder I found out that the calcium added 69 PPM to the water and when I added the magnesium it added an extra 55 PPM in the water.

So 0.1 grams of both calcium and magnesium added up to 125 ppm total in 1 litre of water.

Now I know how much cal and mag I need to add, my question is, if I am targeting a nute mix of a total of 1200 PPM, how much of that should my cal and mag be?

Thanks!

I've already done a test, I used 0.1 grams of calcium nitrate powder and the same amount of magnesium sulphate powder and mixed them one by one with a liter of water.

After mixing 0.1 grams of the calcium powder I found out that the calcium added 69 PPM to the water and when I added the magnesium it added an extra 55 PPM in the water.

So 0.1 grams of both calcium and magnesium added up to 125 ppm total in 1 litre of water.

Now I know how much cal and mag I need to add, my question is, if I am targeting a nute mix of a total of 1200 PPM, how much of that should my cal and mag be?
Well that would depend on the rest of your nutrients after you add the CalMag. It's betater to experiment with different leveks and try and read what your plants needs at different stages. I'm still very new to this so take my word with a grain of salt. For my recent grow I started out with a 1/4 strength of the recommended feeding and gradually increased my solution as the plants matured.

Thanks!

I’ve already done a test, I used 0.1 grams of calcium nitrate powder and the same amount of magnesium sulphate powder and mixed them one by one with a liter of water.

You are definitely doing it the hard way!

I found this in my notes for whatever it may be worth:
5 milliliters per gallon of General Hydroponics CALiMAGic (the recommended dose in their feed chart) in my very soft (28 PPM from the tap) water gave a pH of 5.6 and a PPM of 365.

<edit> Now that I think about it, that pH number seems suspicious since to the best of my recollection CALiMAGic is alkaline...

You are definitely doing it the hard way!

I found this in my notes for whatever it may be worth:
5 milliliters per gallon of General Hydroponics CALiMAGic (the recommended dose in their feed chart) in my very soft (28 PPM from the tap) water gave a pH of 5.6 and a PPM of 365.

<edit> Now that I think about it, that pH number seems suspicious since to the best of my recollection CALiMAGic is alkaline...

Ok maybe I'm asking it the wrong way...

Let me ask u this, so when u added calmag to a gallon of water u got a ppm of 365 right.. so is that a good range to stay in? Like if ur planning to feed ur plants with about 1200 ppm.. 365 comes from calmag and the rest comes from ur nutes... is that the way?

Also when u figured out that ur calmag in 1 gallon = 365 PPM... any rough idea what PPM the Calcium and Magnesium are separately?

Since I'm Adding Calcium and Magnesium powders separately I'd like to figure that out.

I'm using distilled water so I'm thinking I'll add some calcium powder till the ppm hits about 100-150... then add magnesium till the ppm becomes about 250-300... and then add about 800-900 PPM of my nute mix.. totalling it to about 1000-1200 PPM...

Is that how I should go?

Ok maybe I’m asking it the wrong way...

Let me ask u this, so when u added calmag to a gallon of water u got a ppm of 365 right.. so is that a good range to stay in? Like if ur planning to feed ur plants with about 1200 ppm.. 365 comes from calmag and the rest comes from ur nutes... is that the way?

Also when u figured out that ur calmag in 1 gallon = 365 PPM... any rough idea what PPM the Calcium and Magnesium are separately?

Since I’m Adding Calcium and Magnesium powders separately I’d like to figure that out.

I’m using distilled water so I’m thinking I’ll add some calcium powder till the ppm hits about 100-150... then add magnesium till the ppm becomes about 250-300... and then add about 800-900 PPM of my nute mix.. totalling it to about 1000-1200 PPM...

Is that how I should go?

> when u added calmag to a gallon of water u got a ppm of 365 right.. so is that a good range to stay in?
I don't know. That's what using the manufacturer's recommended dose gave me.

> ike if ur planning to feed ur plants with about 1200 ppm.. 365 comes from calmag and the rest comes from ur nutes... is that the way?
I think when you read about people feeding at 1000+ PPM, they mean just NPK+trace elements, not including extra Ca/Mg.

> Also when u figured out that ur calmag in 1 gallon = 365 PPM... any rough idea what PPM the Calcium and Magnesium are separately?
No. The label says what's in the bottle, but not how much.

I think what you need to do if you really want to pursue this (and it does seem like a lot of work...) is to get fertilizer textbook and read up. You will end up working not in PPM, I suspect, but in the chemist's measurement, "moles."

Thanks!

Never use distilled water or humidifier water for plants - no nutrients & PPM is way too low...

Never use distilled water or humidifier water for plants - no nutrients & PPM is way too low...

I'd argue that in cocopeat you want to use water with minimal PPM's to start with, humidifier condensate water not so much, R/O is a good choice, as is distilled water , since you're supplying all the nutes/calmag, but in any case the thread is 5 years old.

Back
Top Bottom