Can I push TDS for better results in soil?

Jedthedog

Am I on the right track ? Quick story We run a sealed room CO2, light mover,1000 watt HPS in flower.The grow medium is homemade compost ,Earthworm castings,perlite,crab shells and a few other goodies.The plants are fed compost teas, and The Bio Canna line of nutes when we feel the need. Everything is PH TO 6 - 6.2. My results have been pretty successful and I do feel that it is dialed in pretty well. So now I am looking at stepping up my game. My question is I know nothing about hydro but was looking into understanding TDS. So in short if we were to build up the TDS in flower can I expect better results ? Thank you all for your EXPERT Advice ...

Am I on the right track ? Quick story We run a sealed room CO2, light mover,1000 watt HPS in flower.The grow medium is homemade compost ,Earthworm castings,perlite,crab shells and a few other goodies.The plants are fed compost teas, and The Bio Canna line of nutes when we feel the need. Everything is PH TO 6 - 6.2. My results have been pretty successful and I do feel that it is dialed in pretty well. So now I am looking at stepping up my game. My question is I know nothing about hydro but was looking into understanding TDS. So in short if we were to build up the TDS in flower can I expect better results ? Thank you all for your EXPERT Advice ...

A nutrient solution that is too weak will result in feeble, nutrient-starved plants that are leggy and yellowed. A nutrient solution that is too strong will cause the plant to overgrow, but produce little or no fruit, and in some cases high nitrogen levels will burn a plant.

A nutrient solution meter is recommended to monitor and adjust nutrient levels. A meter is also used to monitor pH and nitrogen levels.

Different plants utilize nutrients at different rates, so a different nutrient solution is required depending upon what is being grown. For this reason there are many plant-specific formulas commercially available. This may explain a little better what I was thinking ..

The proper nutrient strength will not remain constant because plants will require more nutrients as they grow and produce fruit. When growing hydroponically a horticulturalist may use several different nutrient solutions during the growing cycle.

My advice is this...

If its working well now dont mess with it. Not in terms of adding more nutes as im sure your soil is giving what it needs and adding more could cause more probs than anything else..

HOWEVER....

If youvwant to take it to the next level just ditch soil altogether. If you want purely organic soil grown weed then stick with it. But hydro done correctly, and i mean correctly, iscway better than just about any soul grow.

Try switching to coco. There are many hydro tecniques and systems but after growing many thousands of plants over many years i find coco is the best growing mediym for 99% of people. Its super simple and very forgiving media. You get explosive growth, can run organic if you like, you cant over water and as long as you follow the very simple dos and donts you cant go wrong. A side by side grow of soil and coco will blow your mind, soil doesnt stand a chance.

Check out my how to grow in coco thread in my signature. It might help you out and notvone person has said it was a bad move on my threads that have done it.

Whatever you decide goodluck...

Peace...

I grow in coco, and a close friend grows in HP. He produces product and yields that make most dirt baggers blush. And from what I'm told by other gardeners, I'm not doing too bad in coco either. I believe, and this is JUST my opinion, that you can grow amazing crops out of either. But its all about the time you wanna spend. It takes me more solution to feed my 7 gallon pots with coco, than it does his 10 gallon pots of HP. (With 20% run off). His plants can survive days without feeding, where mine won't make it three. So do some research and see what suits your lifestyle the best.

I just give my thouvht based on 15 years or more growing and i havent had a break in 10years give or take and ive grown probs 25-30000 plants in coco. Thats not a look 'hey look at me' its more just so you know why i say i believe coco is the best medium. I dont think theres any tyoe of set up ive not used and i am considered an expert professional hydroponic grower.

Its true that you get out what you put in absolutely. However in a like for like situation where the common denominators are : time, size of growing area, light, environment.

Soil wouldnt beat any hydroponic set up. Thats not to say soil doesnt produce good weed, it absolutely does. However plants grown in coco grow faster, bigger, stronger, yield more and quality is at least equal.

When feeding coco on a daily basis dont feed to run off ever. Its a waste of nutrient and water and isnt necessary. The only time for run off is wheb its time to flush.

Ofcourse there arw pros and cons to every type of growing and you have to figure out what works for you. But build a simple dripper rig or flood and drain for coco and you could get away witj visiting your room onky once or twice per week if time was an issue..

Anyway goodluck.

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom