EC/ppm question

The Germinator

My meter reads 2275 when set on EC. How do I convert that to a useable number like 1.0 ? Thank You

My meter reads 2275 when set on EC. How do I convert that to a useable number like 1.0 ? Thank You
To obtain an approximate sodium chloride TDS value, multiply the EC reading (in milliSiemens/cm) by 1000 and divide by 2. To get an EC value, multiply the ppm reading by 2 and divide by 1000. Thus, if your EC is 1: 1*1000/2= 500 ppm.​

To obtain an approximate sodium chloride TDS value, multiply the EC reading (in milliSiemens/cm) by 1000 and divide by 2. To get an EC value, multiply the ppm reading by 2 and divide by 1000. Thus, if your EC is 1: 1*1000/2= 500 ppm.​

You lost me. Read it four times. Can u give an example using 2275? Like to see what that ec is. Thank You

Is this what you're looking for?
To obtain an approximate sodium chloride TDS value, multiply the EC reading (in milliSiemens/cm) by 1000 and divide by 2.

To get an EC value, multiply the ppm reading by 2 and divide by 1000. Thus, if your EC is 1: 1*1000/2= 500 ppm.

2275*2/1000 gives you an EC of 4.55, neither of which sounds plausible.

Maybe it's actually giving you an EC of 2.275?

RTFM?

If I take a reading with it set to ppm I get 1100. If I switch it to ec it says 2275.

That reminds me of the kids' riddle, "What time is it when the clock strikes 13?" "Time to buy a new clock."

Those numbers don't make any sense.

What does the booklet tell you?
What concentration are you expecting to be reading?

One gram of table salt in one liter of water should give a reading of about 1000 PPM or an EC of 2.0.

The booklet that comes with it don't say anything.
I seen cultivator earlier tell someone their ec should be 1.0 to 1.5 so it made me wanna check ec. I've always only used ppm.

The booklet that comes with it don't say anything.
I seen cultivator earlier tell someone their ec should be 1.0 to 1.5 so it made me wanna check ec. I've always only used ppm.

EC of 1 to 1.5 would be 500 to 750 PPM.
EC of 2.2 would be 1100 PPM.

I'm guessing that your EC reading of 2275 is actually 2.275, which the formula says would be 1137 PPM, which agrees with your PPM reading of 1100. Yes, 1137 PPM is high, but I have seen people here feeding at that level.

I thought it sounded high but I see no sign of nute burn. If anything it seems they need more nitrogen. I am way below the recommended dose. Thank You for your help.

Ok so I tested the ec of my tap water. It's about 800.
So my reading of my nute solution is 2275.
So 2275-800= 1475. So 1.4 ec correct?

> Ok so I tested the ec of my tap water. It's about 800.
If my guess is right, that EC value is .8, not 800.

An EC of .8 would be 400 PPM, which is very hard water!

> So my reading of my nute solution is 2275.
> So 2275-800= 1475. So 1.4 ec correct?

That looks right. That is, 1.4 EC units out of 2.275 are from fertilizer, and .8 is from water hardness.

I think it was Advanced Nutrients who said they formulated their fertilizers assuming pure water. My understanding is that that much water hardness would actually affect how well the fertilizer works.

(I do know that General Hydroponics makes a special version of their micronutrients called "FloraMicro Hardwater" that they recommend use with water greater than 250 PPM.)

Sorry for hijacking your thread, im using a Adwa EC/TDS meter.

My EC measures in uS and shows 147, i think i convert this measure by dividing my 1000 right? so my EC is 0.14? Sounds way to low right? I Calibrated the meter today.

am i measuring wrong? :thedoubletake:

Thx

My EC measures in uS and shows 147, i think i convert this measure by dividing my 1000 right? so my EC is 0.14? Sounds way to low right? I Calibrated the meter today.

Thx

I am guessing yours means 1.4 ec.

Thx

EC and "uS" are the same thing. (That is, electrical conductivity is expressed in units of microsiemens per centimeter (uS/cm).)

To convert EC to PPM, you multiply by 1000 and then divide by 2.

But 147,000/2 = 73,500 PPM, which doesn't make sense.

So I'm guessing that your meter is actually giving you a reading of 1.47 as Germinator also guessed (so 735 PPM).

Or conceivably it's .147, so 73.5 PPM.

Which of those makes sense to you?
What does your manual say?

Weird that neither of your meters seem to have a decimal point...

Back
Top Bottom