Timer won't start 400W HPS

frankffs

Hi, today I came home and my timer thats set on a 18/6 schedule didnt start.
So ... wtf must I do for it to work?!?!?
I'm using a 400w HPS with a 400w ballast.

Here are the stats of the timer :
125V ac. 60Hz
15A resistive
1000W tungsten
5A Ballast

please help!

Have you used this setup before or is this first time use and it hadn't worked at all?

Yeah, a timer is pretty much just a switch.
The "Is there gas in the tank?" question is "Does the light work when you just plug it into the wall?
Then, if you plug a plain old desk lamp into the timer, does that work?
RTFM?

yes it works!
It worked just fine to turn off the light, the problem comes in when its supposed to turn back on the light!

light is plugged on a digital dimmable ballast (ACE)
input : 120-268v
47-63hz
power factor >0.99

its a new one. it did the samething with the previous one. I changed outlets, and it still does it.
Wtf?!!??!

edit : the timer is a mechanical one.

its a new one. it did the samething with the previous one. I changed outlets, and it still does it.
Wtf?!!??!

edit : the timer is a mechanical one.

When you said earlier that it was "digital timer" I assumed that you just had it programmed wrong. That's easy to do since the user interface on those things is often unintuitive and complicated.

But a mechanical one? Not much to go wrong there.

So just to be clear, your mechanical timer WILL turn a regular desk light on and off, right?

The timer will turn a desk lamp on an off correctly.
The HID lamp starts correctly when plugged directly into the wall, but not when plugged into the timer.

There's only one conclusion: the timer is somehow faulty--I would have to guess that it has bad contact that will allow enough current for a desk lamp but not enough for the HID lamp. That seems EXTREMELY unlikely, but it's the only conclusion available with the information you've given us!

Buy a new timer.

I've tested it and wierdly, the timer did turn on the light. I'm going to wait until tomorrow 22h to see if it turns back on. (its set on a 18/6) schedule anyways. If it doesnt turn back on, i'll go to the local hydroponic store and buy a heavy duty specialized timer.
Which, lets be honest, will cost me 90$.
FML

If it doesnt turn back on, i'll go to the local hydroponic store and buy a heavy duty specialized timer.
Which, lets be honest, will cost me 90$.
FML

OK, one more point: there are mechanical switch contacts--metal on metal--and there are solid state switches, which are semiconductor devices (silicon controlled rectifiers or thyristors). I have a feeling that your "mechanical" timer somehow must have a newfangled solid state switch that can't handle your ballast for some reason. If that's the case, just get a cheapy clockwork mechanical timer with metal on metal contacts and you should be fine.

Good luck.

Couldn't resist. I mean no offense.
420-magazine-mobile95041071.jpg

Back
Top Bottom