Trimming fan leaves

Castle

Black Indica has large fan leaves. Will they reduce production by blocking the sun? If so, is it helpful to trim the the biggest or does that harm the plant?

Black Indica has large fan leaves. Will they reduce production by blocking the sun? If so, is it helpful to trim the the biggest or does that harm the plant?

You're going to get mixed msgs on this subject. I personally believe in cutting fan leaves that block bud sites. Good luck.

You're going to get mixed msgs on this subject. I personally believe in cutting fan leaves that block bud sites. Good luck.

Kind of depends on what stage the plant is in too, as they kind of like big solar panels collecting energy that helps growth, later they block light from bud sites and get in the way of good circulation.......and yes will get all sides of the coin and everywhere in between too ;) :rofl:

My candidates for trimming are any leaves that are
  • Damaged
  • Blocking light to buds/bud sights
  • Permanently in the shade
  • Blocking free air circulation (more of an issue with bushy plants, obviously)
A leaf that ticks two of any of the boxes is in danger of removal

Here's one thread on it. Increasing yield with defoliation indoors - What's it mean? How to do it?
Increasing yield with defoliation indoors - What's it mean? How to do it?

Thanks for posting the thread. Very interesting. As a new grower I have a firm and informed opinion based on little experience. :cheer:

I hang on to all the fan leaves so long as they are productive. Anything blocking light in the mid to latter flowering stage should be brutally and decisively dealt with. No prisoners at that point. It's all about the flowers.

Back
Top Bottom