Transplanting Between Very Different Soil Mediums

elunex

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I was wondering if anyone could help. I have some girls that are about 3 weeks in now. They are growing, but are showing signs of nutrient issues, so I've picked up some nutrients to help that factor. But the other big issue for me is the soil I started growing them in. They are currently in organic potting mix, with a LOT of bark and solid matter. The medium retains water for what seems like forever, and I am worried that the dense material in the soil is also hindering root growth.

I've picked up a bag of 50% coco/perlite mix. And wish to transfer them into the new mix. However, having attempted it on one, I noticed that there were problems in neatly doing so. Moving between the same soil mix is a fairly easy process with minimal damage to the roots. However, getting it out of the barky mix would not be easy on the plant/roots. And I am worried about shock from the transplant, if it survives.

Is it worth attempting to transplant between the mediums, if so any tips on doing so? Or should I simply throw away the past 3 week's growth and start a-new with some new seeds in the new coco mix? Thanks

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I was wondering if anyone could help. I have some girls that are about 3 weeks in now. They are growing, but are showing signs of nutrient issues, so I've picked up some nutrients to help that factor. But the other big issue for me is the soil I started growing them in. They are currently in organic potting mix, with a LOT of bark and solid matter. The medium retains water for what seems like forever, and I am worried that the dense material in the soil is also hindering root growth.

I've picked up a bag of 50% coco/perlite mix. And wish to transfer them into the new mix. However, having attempted it on one, I noticed that there were problems in neatly doing so. Moving between the same soil mix is a fairly easy process with minimal damage to the roots. However, getting it out of the barky mix would not be easy on the plant/roots. And I am worried about shock from the transplant, if it survives.

Is it worth attempting to transplant between the mediums, if so any tips on doing so? Or should I simply throw away the past 3 week's growth and start a-new with some new seeds in the new coco mix? Thanks

Well the way I see it if your about to throw them away then what you got to lose honestly I do t think coco needs perlite in my opinion it holds 30% oxygen and remember to let feed daily in coco coir .

Also make sure you pre rinse coco sometimes they hold slot of salts and ferts.

Make sure you give s nice heavy dose of cal mag during pre flush .

Coco is more forgiving

I would let your medium dry out make sure it's been a few days where you haven't done anything stressful before transplanting

Pics always help as well .

I did it last grow , root bound in very little 0.5L pots in some dirt I found in the garage , 1 month of constantly battling overwatering or under ... could never do it right.
Decided to go coco , and wow , they exploded the next day , don't think I would ever go back to dirt , sure it works for some people , but not for me.

Transplanting is actually very easy ,
First wash the coco , plain water, when the ec of ruout is the ec of your tap water you can stop , let it drain a few minutes, prepare a light nute solution with some added cal-mag , like 200ppm nutes +200ppm calmag . and ph it to 5.2 (it will go up in no time don't worry ), pour solution in the coco till runout is 5.5Ph ish.
Let it drain a few minutes , make a inprint of you dirt pots in the new bigger coco pots, it's easy .
Place plant main stem between your finger , turn the pot upside-down , it should release , if not help it a bit bending the pot(if plastic doh). cover dirt with coco .
you could use some root stimulators directly on the roots at this stage
Now place the plant in the new pot , DONE !

Prepare to be amazed .

Keep in mind coco is not dirt , feed every day , till at least 10% runoff, no water-water-feed , don't let it get dry (nutes will crystallize and deposit , very bad thing)

I did it last grow , root bound in very little 0.5L pots in some dirt I found in the garage , 1 month of constantly battling overwatering or under ... could never do it right.
Decided to go coco , and wow , they exploded the next day , don't think I would ever go back to dirt , sure it works for some people , but not for me.

Transplanting is actually very easy ,
First wash the coco , plain water, when the ec of ruout is the ec of your tap water you can stop , let it drain a few minutes, prepare a light nute solution with some added cal-mag , like 200ppm nutes +200ppm calmag . and ph it to 5.2 (it will go up in no time don't worry ), pour solution in the coco till runout is 5.5Ph ish.
Let it drain a few minutes , make a inprint of you dirt pots in the new bigger coco pots, it's easy .
Place plant main stem between your finger , turn the pot upside-down , it should release , if not help it a bit bending the pot(if plastic doh). cover dirt with coco .
you could use some root stimulators directly on the roots at this stage
Now place the plant in the new pot , DONE !

Prepare to be amazed .

Keep in mind coco is not dirt , feed every day , till at least 10% runoff, no water-water-feed , don't let it get dry (nutes will crystallize and deposit , very bad thing)
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the helpful comments.

Glad to hear of the success with coco.

The plants are barely root-wrapped at this point. I only saw one root line outside of the soil on the pot I changed. So my worry is mainly that the current setup may continue to hinder root development if I move the current medium into a pot and wrap with coco. Though may not be another option.

Attached is an image showing the current size of the plant, nutrient issues and the soil type. The pot is a 1L plastic. Which will be moved to a 5l freedom pot.
2842e13aa40e09e6294e83395f2b1d98.jpg

Definitely your roots can't thrive in that mix. Pity you don't know the " name " of the present soil.

Just to be sure, they're not autos.....right?

I'd get my coco ready and transplant them. I'm not a coco guy, but no reason that they wouldn't bounce back. You could always start new seeds, but what's the harm on giving these girls another week to see if they improve? Best part about coco is that if they are deficient.....coco will allow the necessary nutrients to be taken in more quickly. Also, since your plants aren't growing that well in their present medium, the root development as discussed isn't large so I wouldn't sweat it about removing a lot of the existing root ball once you remove it from your existing pot.

I have agree if you have more seeds start them in better soil. Those plants look pretty young to come around. Even if they do it may take more time then it is worth. A healthy start could be a foot tall before the other comes around if it does. I know it is tough giving up on a seed. You are early on right now so a restart now won't be as bad as later on. Right it off as a lesson learned. In the end I have saved a couple sick plants, Only 1 or 2 of actually did well in the end. Most ended up with low production and fluffy buds. Later on in growth you are more committed to the plants.

Back
Top Bottom