Repotted seeds in soil - Seed root growth has stopped?

ojmm

can anyone pin point what I am doing wrong? I did the paper towel method on three seeds, it worked sprouted and started growing so I planted them in soil and ... put led light on it for the first 12 hours, then thinking I shouldn't do that, I haven't put any lighting on them... both days I examined and the root has no growth to it anymore? What can it be? Are you supposed to light the seedlings once they are in soil and a pot or no? Something else? Newbie here. ..

Re: repotted seeds in soil, seed root growth has stopped?

just realized this is an "introduce yourself" chat page and since I am so new here I can't even find my way to the right thread to post at............ hi everyone!

Just to clarify as not sure I'm following you. So you did paper towel method, roots came out of seeds so you planted them into soil. So you been digging them up to examine the roots to see if they are growing? Not sure if that is what you meant, but if so put them in the soil and leave them the heck alone for a week minimum, as disturbing them you can damage the roots and kill the plant before it ever starts, that and roots and light on them for very long don't get along well (it will kill them basically). They don't have to be planted real deep, make it easier on them to pop out (1/4" to 1/2" max). The light is like the sun outdoors, it warms the ground up so the plant thinks it is spring and time to pop out and grow. Depends on type of light but you don't want it too close once seedlings pop out of the soil as they are vulnerable to too strong of light (along with too much moisture, cold temps, etc...) as they are babies basically and not very strong yet.

Just to clarify as not sure I'm following you. So you did paper towel method, roots came out of seeds so you planted them into soil. So you been digging them up to examine the roots to see if they are growing? Not sure if that is what you meant, but if so put them in the soil and leave them the heck alone for a week minimum, as disturbing them you can damage the roots and kill the plant before it ever starts, that and roots and light on them for very long don't get along well (it will kill them basically). They don't have to be planted real deep, make it easier on them to pop out (1/4" to 1/2" max). The light is like the sun outdoors, it warms the ground up so the plant thinks it is spring and time to pop out and grow. Depends on type of light but you don't want it too close once seedlings pop out of the soil as they are vulnerable to too strong of light (along with too much moisture, cold temps, etc...) as they are babies basically and not very strong yet.

Thank you so much for replying. Great info. I did realize I planted them too low into the soil, so I'm starting over with new seeds as the other ones failed. Thanks for your useful information!!!!! Hopefully I will have a better outcome now that I have this info and knowledge.... thank you thank you!

Back
Top Bottom