When and How to Transplant from an AeroGarden

akrazyrunner

Hi everyone,
I have five nice little plants started in my AeroGarden
(sorry no recent pictures) and I figure tat there is no way that
they'll all grow to a good size to produce in there and I was wondering
if anyone who has previously used one successfully transplanted from the
AeroGarden to soil. How far along should they be before transplanting?
Ideas on how to best get the roots set up in the soil?
Do I keep them keep them in the sponge or try to get them out?
Also at what point can I still move them around within the AeroGarden
and not cause any ill effects and does it matter which hole(s) I decide to keep
the couple in there that I will grow to bud?
Any idea will be appreciated

Yeapper, both the veggie pods, didn't do well.
Probally 'cuz I ripped them from the foam/sponge pellets.

And clones,
I left them in the pellets.
I tried not using the pellets and had a very low success rate but the ones that did live transplanted great.
How far along should they be before transplanting?
The longer you leave them in the AG the harder it is too get them out without damaging the root system. I'd say no longer than a month.
One of the reasons I just used mine just for clones.
how to best get the roots set up in the soil?
Cover with dirt right up to the first/bottom set of leafs
Just make sure you water them in good!
You want to make sure the roots get covered with dirt and no air pockets.
Do I keep them keep them in the sponge or try to get them out?
Yes. keep them in the sponge. You loss too much root system trying to get them out.

does it matter which hole(s) I decide to keep
the couple in there that I will grow to bud?
I would use the center row of holes,
that placement will give you better light coverage.

They have an extender kit that moves the light up another foot or more.
The Pro models come with the extra light length arm.

i tried aero garden to start seedlings..it sucked.. the sponges would'nt let the taproot penatrate after about a week i relized something was up..i was smart enough to transplant. when i opened the sponge.. i noticed the roots were growing into a coiled pattern Not natural...i recently transplanted and 4 of the 5
seem to be ok i lost one.. witch gets me mad because they were feminized..and were'nt cheap..

Hi there.

first ever post on these forums, but i stumbled across this thread by accident tonight, and thought i'd register so i could chime in.

I have been successfully cloning with the Aero-garden 3 for quite some time.
I always transfer to soil after a good root system is established, and have never had 1 single clone NOT make a transplant to soil from the AG.

here a few things i have learned about the AG for cloning:

- Get a small razor blade, lay down one of the AG sponges on its side, and cut halfway into the sponge length ways, from tip to tip... because of the tension in the sponge, it should naturally want to pop open a bit where you cut it....

- Before you take the cutting, put the sponge in DISTILLED water for about 5 mins. take it out and give it a squeeze or two to get rid of any excess water retention.

- After you've taken your cutting, and you have it properly coated in rooting hormone, open up the AG sponge and lay your cutting inside the open slit.

- Use as much of the sponge as you can around the base of your cutting. To clarify, I mean put the clone into the slit, with the bottom most tip of the clone about 1/8 of an inch from the bottom of the sponge.

- IMPORTANT*** - from experience, when you place the sponge in its plastic holder. find a way to keep the plastic holder sitting higher than normal in its socket on the AG tray. it should sit just high enough that the TIP of the sponge JUST touches the water in the AG water chamber.

- I have always used the liquid nutrient starter package that comes in the "grow anything" kit for the aerogarden, with great success.

- Once the clones are in place in the AG, i use Clear plastic beer cups as humidity domes over each clone. 3 will fit very snugly on the AG3, which is just fine.

- Change the entire water reservoir once every 8 days.

- Always use distilled/filtered water when re-filling, and add a new nutrient pack each water change.

- *optional**- I found an old stereo cord that had the same head as the light does on my AG, so i disconnected the light from the AG base and plugged it directly into a timer. this allows you to plug the light into a power source other than the main AG, giving you full control of the light cycle. I plug the light into a timer set to 20hrs on, 4hrs off, for the first 2 weeks. then i switch back the AG cord, and let it run its default 17-on, 7-off cycle for another two weeks. at that point the roots are dangerously close to being intertwined in the reservoir, so i transplant them to soil.

- When transplanting from AG to soil, i usually make a hole in the potted soil about 2 fingers wide, and about as deep as the two fingers poke. carefully lay the roots into the hole, and use a free hand to fill the hole with really fine soil (just crumble it up really good in your hand). this will prevent air pockets from forming around the roots, which could be quite possible if you just push a clump of dirt over the hole and pack it.

- once the clone is in place, and the finer soil fills the hole to the base of the clone, add a handful of soil to the top of your planter and pack the entire pot firmly......don't pack it down into a hard rock, but make sure its settled decently.

- water the plant VERY little with a bit of transplant shock treatment mixed at about 50% if you use it..i never do any more, as i find it doesn't make much of a difference, but i understand, "to each their own".

- watch your transplant grow!!!

*** note **** I know some people have successfully used rock-wool plugs/cubes in the AG, But i have found it just retains too much water, ultimately leading to death. I imagine it takes some finesse to get it right, and i just figure my way works for me, so i go with what i know...it sucks having to be gouged by the prices of these sponges for the AG, but it's the one sacrifice well worth it to being successful.

I will post some pics once i learn how to use these forums a little better.

~Marconius~

Back
Top Bottom