Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deep Water Culture grow

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deep Water Culture grow

Thats what I thought, and its even more specific to say it adjusts to around 6.5 in 98% of household waters. Only way I know how to make that happen is full time monitoring sensors feeding a cpu controlled dispenser, they do it with two bags of powder. Here's their quote;
    "Fire and forget" style feeding with Stealth Grow, Stealth Bloom and Stealth Micro individually sized nutrient packets which eliminate the need for measuring. Simply fill the reservoir bucket to the indicated line with water, and add the required feeding packet. Furthermore, Stealth Grow, Bloom and Micro automatically pH balance (to approx. 6.5) for 98% of all household water types. This nutrient mix is specifically formulated for use with SH Deep Water Culture and SH dual spectrum lighting systems."

They hired them a real good writer for sales stuff I guess, but don't have a real good grasp on nute solutions huh.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Never in my reply I say what to add to his set. I was telling him an issue I had with the water in my set. That has nothing to do with nutrients which I use very little of because I do lack understanding on what I really need. So far as a beginner I have been doing fine. As far as the stealth hydro site. I have read all that junk as well but still end up taking my info from you guys because proven results. Unfortunately nute are my most expensive portion of my grow and still looking into the better ones to use. My response if taken wrong was solely for the set up not the grow. I said only that I use nutrients to the gallon not to do this himself. I only feed the resevoir gallons at a time so I can keep it regular and measured myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey GW, just want to say no worries Bro. I think the guys are just worried that you appear to be topping off based on volume loss alone, and this won't tell you your total nute levels or Ph, both/either of which can kill a crop quick in hydro. Again no worries as like you, I cruise the boards for all this expert advice/ideas and then go do what I do. My actions include good, bad, indifferent and stupid as part of my own learning curve. Please don't feel slighted and remember their base motivation is concern. Nuf said, back to thread.
    I noticed on the SH site they also sell a High Grow nute option in which he states part of the ingredients is a Ph buffer solution. This must also be applicable to the base nutes. One can only imagine that he is using a citric acid & base combo trying to give a small window around the 7.0 neutral making minor adjustments 'automatic'. After all, it just would not do to use a chemical base like arsenic in a unit you would assume product to be consumed by humans, even if only tomatoes rather than cannabis. Then again we can't tell by available info on site, so just wanted to ask you if they elaborate any of this detail in the actual kit? Do the bags even have a stated N, P, K on them?

Before I left the site, I did order a couple of things I liked. The first was some kind of expansion set including a float valve and three of the Greenback valves. I know the valve is the Antelco Greenback, but they only make these with barbs on both inlet and outlet, so SH is modifying these on the inlet side to include the bulkhead washer and seals. From what I can tell in the photos, it looks like they shave the barb off and glue/plastic weld the fitting on. So also wanted to ask you if you can actually see a glue line or other fit line when looking at your valve inlet? Little pricey at $30 for the kit, but I want to install a valve on mine and maybe play with the float valve on feeder res for vacations and such. Was going to make my own, but would have been bulkhead fitting to tube, to valve, to more tube and theirs is basically same but a little cleaner for roughly same cost when all said and done.
    The second purchase was the 6 month nute packages at another $30. I don't intend to use them just yet, but am curious to perform a couple of basic mix and measure of 'standard dose' just to see what kind of EC it yields. Maybe also note some Ph effects etc. Just a small chem-lab experiment for my own info is all. I live near the University of N. Texas but don't know any students and would probably get arrested as the "old man running around campus with bags of powder", but should there be any U.N.T. Chemistry or Medical majors reading, give me a holler and I'll get you a bag of each of these three components for a little extracurricular activity.

At the end of the first operational week with the unit I made, its running 'fair to partly cloudy'. I only put plants in 2 of my 3 net cups so far. One is doing fair(bagweed), while my little Carmalicious is suffering. I am still fighting to get the feeding cycle correct for each plant and has become an obvious issue with hydro when mixing species in one lid. Thank God for the little valves as I'm working them to each cup as appropriate and only hope I get it dialed in before killing the little gem. Murphy's law, kill the costly one!
    With the severe weather blowing through Dallas this last week, I also got my first taste for another hydro issue, loss of power. Seventy mile an hour gusts for a couple of days knocked my power off and on numerous times. Really did not need that as an added variable to the grow dial-in. Meanwhile, just waiting for what hits next and am adjusting Ph daily as it floats up/down about a full point per 24 hour period. Have not been consuming much nutes to this point as they are still basically rooted in the rockwool. I did put some covers over my net cups to avoid losing liquid via evaporation, and to prevent any light leaking into res which may start algae growth. Thanks to the expert growers on the site, you pick up tips every time you read. Thanks Guys/Gals.

Fallen Cannabis Warrior Medical Marijuana's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

^great input. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

^Got the stuff from SH mentioned in the previous post to include the valves and nute powder for sampling. Since GW has no meter, hopefully this can at least give you some clue in case things head South on you.
    They in no way identify the Grow, Micro or Bloom by %/wt as to contents ie..?-?-?.
    The bags are premixed for a 6 gallon base carrier. I did not want to mix up 6 full gallons of the stuff since not using and only measuring,so broke it down to 1 gallon quantities.
    I used the 500 conversion on EC meter, and solution temp was 79.5*. I did balance starting gals Ph to 7.0.
    Mixing each into a 1 gallon jug by itself;
    The G full bag is 30g/6gal so I broke out 5g/1gal and measured a 5.98Ph @ 361ppm.
    The M full bag is 12.6g/6gal so 2.1g/1gal went in and got 6.85Ph @ 26ppm.
    B full is 32.4g/6gal so took 5.4g/1gal for 5.85Ph @556ppm.
    Mixing the G & M together measured a 6.35Ph @ 350ppm.
    Mixing the M & B together measured a 6.25Ph @ 505ppm.

Looks like it is a very light feeding schedule in general, and you may need to boost nutes particularly toward flower time to increase yields. I only have an EC/ppm meter so can't tell anything about macro or micro nute contents or quantity. Assuming it is not real high in N there is probably little chance of a burn using it.
    I'm sure some of these guys could help you out as to what to add should you experience slow growth or something.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well coming up on the end of my first full term grow. I will have some pictures for you guys. There is many things different I have already began with the clones. The kit I have holds 6 plants and I think that is too confined for them considering I found one grew out instead of up. They are all strong though. I Think I have read everything I could during the stages of the plant. I need to get used to the use of nutes how much how often and what to use when. I have been researching. Thank you guys for helping and look for the end results coming soon. After all in a sense we all grew it together hahahaha.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey GW, thats great. I didn't realize you were that far along. Heck you got me excited for you now and am really curious to see some shots of flowers, (go ahead and make them scratch & sniff so we can get a cyber-whiff please).

I have also been playing around a little more with their nutes and they do seem to be more Ph tolerant than my un-buffered tank. Your Ph as supplied from them appears to be a little closer to soil at about a 6.3 vs hydro desired closer to 5.8, but seems to be working OK for you. Its hard to quantify, but I would say your tank probably reacts about half as fast as mine to Ph swings, (seemed to take twice my normal Ph up/down dose to achieve same change).
    Post some bud pics early so these guys can help you beef them up with appropriate flowering additive as it looks like you are light with stock SH nute. Then don't do like I do and get impatient and harvest early. Rather do like these experts do and go for the extra couple of weeks and really blow your previous yield away. I just did this finally, incorporating some self administered blows to the face, and was amazed. Next time will be easier to do now I hope.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK after all this is 23 days of flowering I do believe that 6 was too much for that set up they all fight for light. I had to pull 2 1 died for unknown reasons and the other turned hermie. But the rest look awesome. The clones are going to start flowering before a foot tall because these things shot up like crazy.

Well anything to make the next batch better I am all ears. Or eyes in our case. With this grow I did nothing special. Very little generic nutes if any at times.
    Last edited by Keith Lake; 03-20-2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: fixed pics

Post Thanks / Like

Hey GW, looking good man. Not monsters, but not bad either for just basically following their instructions and all 6 holes running. They should also swell some more if your snipping finger don't get to itching to bad. Be sure to get a shot right before the final topping ceremony. Looking forward to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12