Bug Strips?

akrazyrunner

I've seen a few bugs hanging around my plants and I am concerned. They don't seem to be bothering the plants at this point, but who the hell wants them around. I've been reading about different solutions, but I am fearful of the cure being worse than the problem, so I was thinking of using bug strips. The first thought was to put a solar lamp in the shed thought the light being on in the other side of the room would attract them during the dark time and I could hang strips there and lure them away. The second thought was to put them in and arond the plants. Any thoughts on this?
...and thanks
Bug Strips Link

I had one of these outside my grow room at one point but the label gave a specific warning. It said to make sure the strip was not in an enclosed area where humans and/or animals would be, even for short periods of time. I got rid of it within weeks. Make sure you check the warning labels and you may want to consider not hanging too many of the strips too close to your plants.

Get a tape-based lint brush (also called "lint roll", or similar). Unroll one (or more) strip of tape about a foot in length. Place it in the grow room, right next to your plants. Looks something like this
lint.jpg

The lint brush tape is better than many other tapes (especially duct tape) at sticking to small particles, such as insect legs. The flies land & stick to it, and you simply replace as needed.

I don't doubt your wealth of experience, but it seemed to help my small problem with them in the past. Or it may have just been coincidence. *shrug*

I had about 15 of them stuck to the tape after the first day or two then none after that.

Just to follow up I ended up putting up a couple of plain old

Victor Fly Catch Paper Ribbon in the room. One near the plant, but under the line of a light (not blocking it, just so some of the strip would be lower than the light). A second one across the room next to some solar laterns that that stay one about 1/2 hour or so after my lights go out and the No Pest Insect Strip near the plants in the beginning and moved it to just within the room because it seems to all have worked. I do not see any bugs anymore and the plants seem fine. The no pest strip does say do not stay near it for four hours at a time, so no worries about that (someone posted that above)

One thing that should be a huge concern to growers, especially ones who grow organic or care at all about their ( and our!) environment. The NPS is made by Shell Oil (Occidental Petroleum) and contains chemicals in the Dioxin family. These things are VERY toxic. If you can find a copy of "America the Poisoned" by Lewis Regenstein, he details the chemicals in these things along with a million other toxic poisons unleashed upon an unsuspecting, and unprotected public over the last 50 years. People who love to grow things should consider carefully what kinds of products we purchase and what kinds of industries we support.
A guy at the plant store had a couple of Sundew plants that he was propagating to sell. They are a carnivourus plant that should do well in an indoor garden, but it receives all it's food from bugs. The one he had was covered in fungus gnats. I'm getting one when they are large enough.
The rule with poisons, if it can kill an insect, it CAN harm you. It just may take a while or not be apparent until a toxic concentration builds up in your body. They have found PCB's in 99% of all human tissue samples in this country.

Organic or natural! It's the only way to go!
Don't poison yourself! It ain't worth it! There are always alternatives!

Peace:ganjamon:

"What luck for leaders, that men do not think." A. Hitler

DSCF01691.JPG

Back
Top Bottom