In need of advice

greenermannow

Hello all-I was wondering if anyone could help me with a grow problem/issue-a guy I heard about started a little garden this year-he’s growing by sunlight in containers-he started them inside with good seed from known strains-kept them in front of a big picture window under a few fluorescents until the outdoor area was ready and it got warmer- they grew good and got to be pretty big by the time he was able to get them outside-a good foot and good branching out-now they’ve been outside about 6 weeks and he has some very nice clean healthy plants-the plan was to take a clone or two of each before they started the flowering stage, weed out the males then after harvest choose 2-3 of best females to grow into mothers for next year.

The problem is males are showing up already-a few last week and one this week-and the days have not even started to shorten yet so they should still be in veg state-he thinks maybe they went into flowering stage because the decrease in sunlight hours from the 16-17 hours a day inside to the 13-14 outside-he was afraid that may happen but it was too late by the time he thought of that potential danger-but he said he thought they might be ok because they were in front of the big picture window sensing the natural increasing daylight hours and because he left the fluorescents off the last few weeks inside-but apparently they’ve started flowering.

It wouldn’t be much of a problem-except the loss of normal veg time/growth/size is regrettable-but thinking he had a few weeks time in veg state and being busy getting the inside clone/mother room ready he hasn’t taken cuttings yet-he’s ready to now-but what he doesn’t know is-

1-does it sound like they have indeed started flowering? He thought it might be a particular strain but the males were different strains.

2-can the clones be forced back to veg state under 18-24 hour light if they have started the flowering but r not very far along-or at least not showing it much-yet?

3-if the clones can’t be forced back can the best females be forced back-re-vegged-after harvest? He said he read this can be done-that when put back under inside lights for 18 or 24 hours day they start sending out shoots again-is that in fact the case? Due to financial constraints he was only planning to use fluorescents for the clone/mother room-he has a clean bright room painted flat white so can max light usage-but doubts that will be enough to force re-vegging after harvest-that he’d need a metal halide-is that the case-that he’d need more than just fluorescents?

4-after getting mothers in veg state inside of 18 hours day over the winter how to avoid same problem when he takes babies to put outside in spring? My guess is he kept them inside under 16-17 hours light too long and by the time he got them outside they were big enough to start flowering-but if babies r taken in spring and put outside when still small they would be ok and follow the natural cycle-is this the case? Or can it be done-going from 18 hour mothers to babies starting outside under less light hours?

Any information, advice or ideas would very much appreciated-thanks in advance!

you can force the clones back to veg but this will be time consuming.

i beleive somtimes a plant will show presex after a certain amount of days vegging but im not sure if this is accurate.

:grinjoint:

Yeah they show sex pretty early (some of em). Pull the males now if your worried, and take some clones now from females. It is time consuming to re-veg. So if your worried better start it as soon as possible. There are some here who swear by flowering clones, I'm trying out one or two now my self.

You've got 2 weeks leading up to the longest day of the year 6/21, If these plants truly flowered, they may be forced back in to veg by the increasing daylight hours.

Back
Top Bottom