Irritable Bowel Syndrome

JesusLover

I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I've had it since at least 2002; and it slowly has gotten worse 'til today where I am sick over 90% of the time. I went through the process to get my card, sent the money in to the state of Michigan and am currently waiting for my card any day now. ( I've tried smoking twice to see if that would help and it does not seem to, plus I am getting too high in the process. Also my lungs are shot so smoking a joint is out, and I tried a vaporizer for the first time today. It worked great but it did not help my IBS and kind of increased my panicky I'm gonna be sick meter... then I leveled out, went home and went to bed. So, smoking seems to be a last resort as of now. I am now looking into high CBD, low THC strains and am sort of overwhelmed after being out of "the game" for so long (I used to grow back in the late 70's and early 80's etc., but quit growing in the 90's). And Southwest Michigan does not have many open dispensaries around Kalamazoo and consequently I forsee a very hard time obtaining strains specific to my gastrointestinal problem(s), let alone processing it into oils/hash that I can eat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
And it's not like I can just go over to a buddies house and bog down [already tried it twice], I have to stay specific to my medical needs to treat my area of my body... which is my gastrointestinal tract, or my gut to be simple. Smoking may be an option in the future once I get used to cannabis in my system again and learn my limits.

Things I cannot have:
Milk and all milk products (for sure)
Coffee (acidic?)
Jellies and jams (Citric acid?)
Pop (Citric acid, carbonation)
Gluten (not as bad as the milk but it still affects me)
In reality I can't have 95% of the foods out there.
It might be embarrassing but it must also be noted that back in circa 2000 I had a problem with meth and cocaine for a summer. One day my body just rejected them and I ended up in the hospital. Suffice it to say that if someone rolled a joint with either of these in it (a swifty) it would probably kill me. All the more reason to physically see what I am taking. So you see I can't really "roll" with the same crowd anymore. I am kind of on my own so to speak. I need to make my own path, learn how to grow [again], and treat myself.
Your understanding, help, and expertise is much appreciated. I have no where else to turn to as another forum I joined is full of catatonic, mindless 12 year olds, and not much serious posting.

Good luck in your efforts. I have has IBS for as long as I can remember. And I'm old. Having said that, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 8 years ago and have gone through many opiates. I hate them. They make IBS so much worse. So when a friend suggested MMJ for that (pain), I thought why not. The interesting part was that I was having a major IBS issue on the way over to my friend's place. While I was praying for pain relief, I was flabbergasted to find that within moments of smoking, the IBS symptoms stopped cold. I was astounded. I'm still not sure about the pain yet as I had taken my meds for that, but wow! This medicine wasn't 'commercial' grade MMJ, but it absolutely worked for me. I had only 2 puffs and the cramps and urges to deficate were gone. I have little experience in this but nothing (pharma related) has ever worked. I've tried this twice for IBS and it worked both times. Perhaps the strain I got was well suited for GI problems. I go for the results of yet another CT scan this week hoping they will find something other than the generic IBS label. The GI doc gave me some anti spasmodic meds that seem to work a little, but they have sexual side effects which kind make life less interesting. So I say keep up the faith, I have had success. Perhaps I was lucky. And I hope you are too. Keep trying because God helps those who helps themselves. You will find the right medicine. Perhaps others here can give guidance as to the strains that work best. The one I tried was a grow house generic. Thanks be to God, I may be able to plan a life.

Good luck in your efforts. I have has IBS for as long as I can remember. And I'm old. Having said that, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 8 years ago and have gone through many opiates. I hate them. They make IBS so much worse. So when a friend suggested MMJ for that (pain), I thought why not. The interesting part was that I was having a major IBS issue on the way over to my friend's place. While I was praying for pain relief, I was flabbergasted to find that within moments of smoking, the IBS symptoms stopped cold. I was astounded. I'm still not sure about the pain yet as I had taken my meds for that, but wow! This medicine wasn't 'commercial' grade MMJ, but it absolutely worked for me. I had only 2 puffs and the cramps and urges to deficate were gone. I have little experience in this but nothing (pharma related) has ever worked. I've tried this twice for IBS and it worked both times. Perhaps the strain I got was well suited for GI problems. I go for the results of yet another CT scan this week hoping they will find something other than the generic IBS label. The GI doc gave me some anti spasmodic meds that seem to work a little, but they have sexual side effects which kind make life less interesting. So I say keep up the faith, I have had success. Perhaps I was lucky. And I hope you are too. Keep trying because God helps those who helps themselves. You will find the right medicine. Perhaps others here can give guidance as to the strains that work best. The one I tried was a grow house generic. Thanks be to God, I may be able to plan a life.

Thanks mmjC,

I had to stop smoking cannabis after going to the hospital 3 times, 3 days in a row. smoking. While continually suffering and all that jazz in the Emergency Room a younger doctor came up and said something about a newer study on a condition called Cannabis Hypermesis Syndrome. He gave me his source as I was leaving the hospital. I can't give his source at this time because I have not looked at copyright issues [except the first article-That one is okay] There are three.
I am back on Bentyl, for now, until I can get back to a new family doctor and start the process all over again. It's a learning process.

However, stopping the cannabis did not "instantly" or within a short time alleviate the symptoms as quickly as those in the study. I will try and get the study onto the medical pages here but I am still in the recovery process and doing very little.

The ER doctor actually told me to not stop smoking cannabis. But I did anyway because I want all my faculties about me.

From your original post, it sounds like you had the problems prior to any usage. I can't see howCannabis Hypermesis Syndrome could be involved. Of course, I suppose that cannabis could make whatever your problem is worse. Good luck!

From your original post, it sounds like you had the problems prior to any usage. I can't see howCannabis Hypermesis Syndrome could be involved. Of course, I suppose that cannabis could make whatever your problem is worse. Good luck!

I was diagnosed with colitis. The doctor who diagnosed me asked me "Who diagnosed you with Irritable Bowel Syndrome?" I've had problems since at least 2001 because I have hospital papers from 2002. I tell you what; not having money for proper doctor care really affects how you are treated and diagnosed.
I will post more as the situation progresses. For now I am taking antibiotics for the colitis. I've lost over 20 pounds but turned the corner for the better today.
I took down my grow outfit and am contemplating putting the LED growlight on my world record tomato plant outside for a couple more hours of light a day to give it that extra boost at beating the 7 lb. 12 ounce world record [tomato]. I might buy another one (for the other side of the plant) as it states that it does not penetrate the leaf canopy past 42 inches.
Of course these are not outdoor grow lights so I will have to bring them in every night.

Sounding like your best option is to wait for your card, once card is obtained i would recommend Finding a pure cbd strain, very little to no thc if possible. if this is not possible, then hopefully a grower on here is close by to you or you can get the word out at the medical clinic you go to for a CBD strain.

Once you get the CBD i recommend making Cannabis Oil out of it. It seems very overwhelming at first but i can promise you, it is not nearly as hard as it looks. your first run will most likely be trial and error so i would recommend making it out of trim (less expencive to destroy).

im in a rush right now but will take time to address this more tomorrow morning. 420 motoco has a thread about making Cannabis oil i recommend reading that and speaking with him as well. im sure you will see him soon :)

Take care and best of luck
I&i

Hahaha, already tried Brother! True about making the oil, after a couple of times it gets easier and easier to make great concentrate. BTW what region is your collective in? :)

Sounding like your best option is to wait for your card, once card is obtained i would recommend Finding a pure cbd strain, very little to no thc if possible. if this is not possible, then hopefully a grower on here is close by to you or you can get the word out at the medical clinic you go to for a CBD strain.

Once you get the CBD i recommend making Cannabis Oil out of it. It seems very overwhelming at first but i can promise you, it is not nearly as hard as it looks. your first run will most likely be trial and error so i would recommend making it out of trim (less expencive to destroy).

im in a rush right now but will take time to address this more tomorrow morning. 420 motoco has a thread about making Cannabis oil i recommend reading that and speaking with him as well. im sure you will see him soon :)

Take care and best of luck
I&i

Hey man, I'm sorry to hear about your condition. I have been diagnosed with it too, although by a doctor I really don't trust, but nonetheless what I've read about it seems accurate with my symptoms. So, I feel you.

That said, I have just made my first batch of Oil and it wasn't so bad doing it, and taking it seems to help so far.

I agree with Motoco that it is intimidating looking at the process on paper and contemplating A.)F*cking it up, and B.) blowing yourself up. However, I accomplished A without doing B. So, 50/50... A push.

I just don't cook much, kind of suck at it, tend to be lazy, and make assumptions that are costly. All of these happened my first trial run.

Long story short, I got about 1g of oil from 23g of premium White Russian bud. My errors were:
1. using 91% Isopropyl Alcohol instead of 99%
2. I didn't monitor the high heat in my rice cooker well enough and burned my oil down too much because of that.
3. I also jerry rigged my rice cooker to bypass the high heat automatic switch to low heat by resting metal objects on the container to press down the button to keep the high heat on... LOL. What a dumb*ss...
4. Also *nicely done* burned the oil on the coffee warmer by using a metal cup that was too thin.

BOTTOM LINE : read, again, once more, then do it while you make the stuff because you're probably going to screw up at least one part.

BUT: Try it dude, what have you got to loose? Nothing has worked for me, sounds like the same for you? And besides, I'm finding it hard to believe that the only thread dealing with something so prominent as IBS is so sparsely discussed even here on this forum... So, I would be glad to share notes with someone as I take this trip myself.

So, I want to stress that I have either had short term success with Cannabis Oil, made only semi-successfully (1g/23g/$290 is an expensive first result), but... if I am having success due to the oil, it has been a welcomed three days so far (1 full grain rice/3 or 4x day). Or, my symptoms may have run their cycle and dissipated due to that or what...

I will be monitoring this site and others and the forums where I've engaged the threads, too. I hadn't done enough research before attempting to make this stuff.

I'm optimistic. Google "IBS [and] CANNABIS" in the "Scholarly Articles" section if you're unsure that cannabinoids are good for IBS. It's the neuroscience behind the magic. That said, that's why I upped my medicinal regimen game to Cannabis Oil in hopes that it will work *better.*

I have a ton of thoughts on all this, so please feel free to ask anything. I may or may not be able to answer, but feel free :popcorn:

Lastly, best of luck my brother. It would be great if you got in the game and could share with the rest of us. I'm sure there are others like us out there who are suffering with a solution in our backyards. Literally...

BW

I've tried smoking twice to see if that would help and it does not seem to, plus I am getting too high in the process. Also my lungs are shot so smoking a joint is out, and I tried a vaporizer for the first time today. It worked great but it did not help my IBS and kind of increased my panicky I'm gonna be sick meter.

I will say that my first three days I have most certainly under the effects of a heavy psychoactive. I can tell you more about this experience if you like, but compared to smoking cannabis, ingesting it amplifies the effects that you might feel.

Symptoms of over-consumption: (Again, see character faults above, lol...)
1. nausea - can come because of lack of food in stomach to start with, or, about an hour after ingesting. Cured with small amounts of food. Try what works for you next time you feel this (also works when smoked cannabis too).
2. anxiety - it's weird, but I have some distance on this psychologically, so I'm detached from the worry, but more of an observer of it. Noticing it, letting it pass down river, then I'm okay. I'm consciously working on this, but for some reason, I can certainly attest to the lack of impact of my usual anxiety when I've consumed too much that for now is at least managed well. I would say though that I have been around the block and know what works and what doesn't, and that is an invaluable set of tools when consuming cannabis in any form.
3. intense body buzz - can lead to heart racing, itching, irritability and needing to move a lot, but these are all idiopathic an don't necessarily have a defined origin yet - could be strain specific, etc. But, long story short, if you can ride the wave, you'll be okay.
4. tension in the head - tight jaw occasionally, headache occasionally, needing to straighten posture, normal stuff...

Bottom line: TAKE IT SLOW!!

BW

Check out this chart -

0kDQdUNqR0GCXCMdfgbs_leafly-cannabinoid-wheel-large.jpg

Peace,
BW

All the antibiotics pumped into my belly during my last surgery pretty much destroyed my stomach, what used to be a delicate stomach became a diarrhea machine and I even started losing weight.

In 11 months I've gained 20 lbs, I no longer have stomach problems and I can occasionally have a bit of ice cream or cheese without having to run to the bathroom. I didn't even bother getting the colonoscopy and all the other bs docs kept sending me, I just spent a weekend with a friend of the family with IBS and he told me his trick.

Metamucil; I like the orange one, tastes like Tang. Its odd that something marketed for constipation would help but it works on both ends, people who are constipated or "loose in the caboose" and just regulates the whole thing.

A teaspoon in half a glass of water should do the trick, mix well and drink right away. If you let it sit it will turn to a texture like baby food.

I used to have one in the morning and then one at night, 6 months ago a switched to one at night and now I have one every other day.

All the antibiotics pumped into my belly during my last surgery pretty much destroyed my stomach, what used to be a delicate stomach became a diarrhea machine and I even started losing weight.

In 11 months I've gained 20 lbs, I no longer have stomach problems and I can occasionally have a bit of ice cream or cheese without having to run to the bathroom. I didn't even bother getting the colonoscopy and all the other bs docs kept sending me, I just spent a weekend with a friend of the family with IBS and he told me his trick.

Metamucil; I like the orange one, tastes like Tang. Its odd that something marketed for constipation would help but it works on both ends, people who are constipated or "loose in the caboose" and just regulates the whole thing.

A teaspoon in half a glass of water should do the trick, mix well and drink right away. If you let it sit it will turn to a texture like baby food.

I used to have one in the morning and then one at night, 6 months ago a switched to one at night and now I have one every other day.

Hey Lab Rat, Thanks for chiming in. A few questions, if you have some time to respond:

1. Was your surgery you mention related to IBS? Did you stomach become more sensitive b/c of IBS?
2. Do you use Cannabis Concentrated Oil/RSO to treat your condition?
3. Metamucil? Really?? Would be awesome if that would work for me, so I'll do some research. Would seem that it would cause greater chance of loose stool and diarrhea, but that's not been your experience?

Great to hear that you do not usually have symptoms any more (is that correct?) through whatever means possible. Thanks for adding your two cents, Lab Rat!

Peace,
BW

I'll bring your quote over here to continue the discussion.

By consistent I meant that with the use of cannabis I have not been able to consistenly relieve the associated pains that come with it. The cannabis oil is a tremendous help but I still have almost daily issues. I am still on a strain quest to find that right one for me though...

Mood management meant as of now I am focusing my efforts on maintaining a better and more positive attitude to cope with the anxiety and issues I have.

Hey man, Would welcome your engagement in the IBS thread as well. Sorry to hear you have had so long suffering. I've only had it for about two years now, worse in the last year, so I'm trying to get this thing early.

Can you pls explain what you mean about "consistent results?" Also, by "mood management," do you mean that you work on reducing anxiety and the like to help prevent flare ups? If not, could you pls elaborate? (Pls feel free to just jump over to Irritable Bowel Syndrome to further discuss!)

I certainly do hope you learn "a thing or two!" That's why I'm here, so if I can help, just ask!

Peace,
BW

I'll bring your quote over here to continue the discussion.

By consistent I meant that with the use of cannabis I have not been able to consistenly relieve the associated pains that come with it. The cannabis oil is a tremendous help but I still have almost daily issues. I am still on a strain quest to find that right one for me though...

Mood management meant as of now I am focusing my efforts on maintaining a better and more positive attitude to cope with the anxiety and issues I have.

Cool man, thanks for the input.

Regarding Oil use, can you speak a little bit on how you've used it? How much, how often? You might be able to help me and everybody else by letting us know these things, as I'm having *some* issues daily, but they are minimal. Today, however, is turning out to be more issues that the last three days, so I'm upping my dose. I'm still on about a grain of rice or 1 1/2 per dose, but I'm planning on getting up to 1g/day when I can and see if that works.

So, how far along are you, and does my path sound like what you've been working on? Would love to know what seems to have *not* worked so that maybe I can try another path, hopefully find something better, then relay back to you and others and see if it helps y'all as well or not.

Same thing with strains... what have you tried that has helped or not? Any info you could relate would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the option of strain selection (much) b/c my connect only has two - White Russian and Mazar. I've tried the WR this first time, but I've heard that Mazar can be good for IBS, so I'll try that next.

Lasty, I hear you on the stress thing my friend - I went through a period of nausea related to IBS or just plain same-time coincidental symptoms relating to stress where I would wake up in the morning, 5:30 or so, and in one swift motion go from my bed to the trash can and start gagging.

It was freaking horrible. The less stress I've had - conscious stress I would add - the less problems I've had with nausea. Don't know if that's what you get, too, but I get excessive and problematic BMs plus nausea, so Thanks for that God... lol... but seriously, I feel you and I hope you find relief soon. I've basically had to adopt a humorous approach to this thing b/c otherwise I'd cry or just start beating the heck out of inanimate objects out of frustration and anger.

If you are comfortable talking about your symptoms, your current and future research on strains and their efficacy per type of symptom (diarrhea, loose stool constipation, frequency of BMs, nausea, etc.) would be of great help to us all. This thread is basically empty compared to others!!

Thx for considering! :)

Peace,
BW

Hi all,
I'm popping over here quickly from the Cannabis oil thread.
I will have a much detailed post about the oil, my own IBS and results. I had suffered from this for almost 50 years.

I wanted to mentioned very quickly that if any of you have a caring GI doctor (I did not through all of these years), ask them to refer you to a registered Dietitian that specializes in diseases of this nature. Health insurance picked up the cost for me because it was a referral.
I finally have a great GI specialist and they referred me to a Dietitian that was extremely helpful with the types of foods and behaviors I needed to adjust.
So with her help and the RSO oil, I am really doing great! Unfortunately I am one of the "worst case scenarios" of the results of long term IBS/IBD with my colon.
However, my last follow up was good news for me.

More details later.

:circle-of-love:

I will say that my first three days I have most certainly under the effects of a heavy psychoactive. I can tell you more about this experience if you like, but compared to smoking cannabis, ingesting it amplifies the effects that you might feel.

Symptoms of over-consumption: (Again, see character faults above, lol...)
1. nausea - can come because of lack of food in stomach to start with, or, about an hour after ingesting. Cured with small amounts of food. Try what works for you next time you feel this (also works when smoked cannabis too).
2. anxiety - it's weird, but I have some distance on this psychologically, so I'm detached from the worry, but more of an observer of it. Noticing it, letting it pass down river, then I'm okay. I'm consciously working on this, but for some reason, I can certainly attest to the lack of impact of my usual anxiety when I've consumed too much that for now is at least managed well. I would say though that I have been around the block and know what works and what doesn't, and that is an invaluable set of tools when consuming cannabis in any form.
3. intense body buzz - can lead to heart racing, itching, irritability and needing to move a lot, but these are all idiopathic an don't necessarily have a defined origin yet - could be strain specific, etc. But, long story short, if you can ride the wave, you'll be okay.
4. tension in the head - tight jaw occasionally, headache occasionally, needing to straighten posture, normal stuff...

Bottom line: TAKE IT SLOW!!

BW

Hey BW,

I just read this post where you mentioned that you experienced "heavy psychoactive". Was that while using the oil? If so, you shouldn't be getting high when using the oil "tacking" method.
Just wondering if you have read the thread on how to tack the oil on your gums.

How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

This was what I was most concerned about when starting the oil, I could not risk being high at work all day. I have been using the proper tacking method and do not experience any of the "highs" and euphoria associated with smoking it.

My Mom, who is very old school and hasn't been high a day in her life is now using the oil too. There is no high.

Just wanted to mention that. The Dosing thread explains much better than I can.

Hey Lab Rat, Thanks for chiming in. A few questions, if you have some time to respond:

1. Was your surgery you mention related to IBS? Did you stomach become more sensitive b/c of IBS?
2. Do you use Cannabis Concentrated Oil/RSO to treat your condition?
3. Metamucil? Really?? Would be awesome if that would work for me, so I'll do some research. Would seem that it would cause greater chance of loose stool and diarrhea, but that's not been your experience?

Great to hear that you do not usually have symptoms any more (is that correct?) through whatever means possible. Thanks for adding your two cents, Lab Rat!

Peace,
BW

My surgery was not related to IBS, I have a benign tumor in my brainstem and they were trying to remove it.
I do use a type of RSO to treat my tumor, if I had discovered it a bit earlier I would have probably skipped the surgery as RSO has been more beneficial.
Metamucil or plantago psyllium, a small orange one is like $6. Yeah its not a laxative but works more as a stomach stabilizer, its basically a ground up natural fiber. Some brands/types tend to produce more gas on some people but even that is ok with me. Being able to fart without having an accident is a step in the right direction.

I'm loose like once a month now but its usually just once and because I'm playing with fire and eating ice cream or cheesecake.

Its cheap and you can try it for a week, like I said twice a day.

Wife suffers from IBS now for the last 10 yrs.....it's gotten worse in the last 2.

Milk and Dairy are her enemy as well as anything fried or cooked in oil.

I have just started following the RSO thread and this IBS as of today, really excited to get this going and get her started.

I'll follow along and post any results etc as they unfold.

Really glad you have already been experiencing the use of the RSO Canna, and look forward to more details from you as well :high-five:

I can't really say that RSO helped with IBS although I was taking RSO for another more serious problem and IBS was causing weight loss. Although RSO is taken tacking you do end up swallowing some and if your digestive system is not working too well you do end up absorbing less.

Hey BW,

I just read this post where you mentioned that you experienced "heavy psychoactive". Was that while using the oil? If so, you shouldn't be getting high when using the oil "tacking" method.
Just wondering if you have read the thread on how to tack the oil on your gums.

How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

This was what I was most concerned about when starting the oil, I could not risk being high at work all day. I have been using the proper tacking method and do not experience any of the "highs" and euphoria associated with smoking it.

My Mom, who is very old school and hasn't been high a day in her life is now using the oil too. There is no high.

Just wanted to mention that. The Dosing thread explains much better than I can.

Yeah, Cannafan... I have been lazy (total character fault lol) these last four days and have not heeded the tacking method Motoco describes. I have read some of the thread, enough to know there is another way. Which, as it seems today, I will try. The part about the horse is awesome.

I started by vaping some of the oil to evaluate its potency, determining that it was low compared to what I was expecting. So I initially dosed - ingested - about a large grain of rice, and played around with it after that. Had no problems physically, but I was certainly , from day one, affected.

Thanks for looking out! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom