Cyclical vomiting syndrome

TheFertilizer

Does anyone have any experience with this? My new GI doctor mentioned that sometimes chronic marijuana users have "slowed digestion" that causes problems like I have been having. Well I am not one for layman's terms so Iooked it up and believe he is talking about Cannabis Hypermesis Syndrome. When reading this I found two major criteria that seem to make it an inappropriate diagnosis: My symptoms do not stop when I cease cannabis use, and there is no compulsion to shower. On top of this it was apparently pretty rare so I don't think it could be it, but when reading I found this condition also mirrored the symptoms of Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome

Cyclic vomiting syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This seems to outline everything that happens even down to the sensitive to temperature I get afterwards. I wish I had known about this year's ago. I suspect the only reason my doctors haven't mentioned this as a possibilty is thst I have been bad about getting tests done to find any physical abnormalities. I am getting all those done now finally and have a mixed feeling of hoping there's nothing wrong and hoping they find something they can fix.

Anyway I have never seen any mention of this condition here and just wondering if anyone else has heard of it.

Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome is just another form of modern "Reefer Madness". We don't know why you are always sick, so we would usually call it CVS. However, you smoke Cannabis; so we'll make up a new "Syndrome", give it a cool name and blame it on Cannabis. Then we can make up new scary stories about your brain.

I found this, about the hot water effect and how applying Caspaicin Cream to your abdomen may ease the symptoms:

Case Series of Patients Treated for Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome with Capsaicin Cream. (Lapoint J, Southern California Permanente Medical Group, San Diego):

One of the most striking features of this syndrome is that patients often get symptomatic relief by taking hot baths or showers. They usually figure this out on their own, and sometimes come to the ED after they have used up all the hot water at home. Unfortunately, the symptoms often prove resistant to anti-emetics, analgesics, and other drug therapy.A brilliant insight by Jeff Lapoint, DO, an emergentologist and medical toxicologist at Kaiser-Permanente in San Diego, suggests another possible therapeutic option. Dr. Lapoint was researching another subject and came across a description of the TRPV1 receptor, a protein found in the peripheral nervous system. It is activated by exposure to scalding heat (>109°F) and to capsaicin, the compound in chili peppers that produces a burning sensation when it comes into contact with skin or mucous membranes. In fact, TRPV1 is the only receptor in the human body that reacts to capsaicin.

Dr. Lapoint was not convinced by the prevailing theory about hot water relieving the symptoms of cannabinoid hyperemesis symptoms, which posited a mechanism involving cannabinoid Type 1 receptors in the hypothalamus. He told me that the hypothalamus pathway seemed too far removed, more Rube Goldberg than physiologic process. Seeing how the TRPV1 receptor was activated by exposure to very hot temperatures and capsaicin, he wondered if capsaicin could be used for cannabinoid hyperemesis.His poster described seven patients with symptoms successfully treated with application of capsaicin cream (0.075%) to the abdomen. Symptoms resolved or dramatically diminished within 30-45 minutes.

A second poster described an additional patient with cannabinoid hyperemesis not responsive to ondansetron whose symptoms resolved 30 minutes after application of capsaicin cream (0.025%) to his abdomen, arms, and back. The authors suggest that response to topical capsaicin can be diagnostic and therapeutic in these patients.

Source

Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome is just another form of modern "Reefer Madness". We don't know why you are always sick, so we would usually call it CVS. However, you smoke Cannabis; so we'll make up a new "Syndrome", give it a cool name and blame it on Cannabis. Then we can make up new scary stories about your brain.

I found this, about the hot water effect and how applying Caspaicin Cream to your abdomen may ease the symptoms:

Source

That is extremely interesting about capsaicin, especially since eating lots of spicy foods often triggers the vomiting. I wonder if it could be having the opposite effect of causing illness due to those receptors... I don't know enough about medicine or biology to say though, probably just coincidence.

I had the same feeling about CHS (reefer tummy aches) especially after reading the case studies. Luckily I don't think my GI was referring to this but to the delayed effect "gastric emptying" has but the way they emphasized about "in chronic users" so maybe they are. Still though, the relief by hot showers is one of three criteria that doesn't apply to me at all, as well as it not happening again when I wasn't smoking.

But even bigger deal with CVS, there is a really high comorbidity rate with depression, anxiety and ADHD; my previous doctor said I had ADHD, but for sure depression and anxity. In fact whole thing started after a psychological breakdown. Then as the final nail in the coffin, in terms of genetics of your mother had migraines or chronic pain it's more likely that once present: check and check.

One particular thing I have learned is that it seems to be more related to the central nervous system and brain functions than gut. There's some people that think it's essentially the same thing that cussed migraine headaches but in the gut. Unfortunately that means they also prescribe a strong narcotic pain reliever at the hospital for high is why I stopped going, especially because of every time the thing that helped the most was the IV. I tell them to just give me an IV now so they don't treat me like a drug seeker, or more likely I just set up shop at home with a 5 gallon bucket, some Gatorade and some smoke.

So anyway if I had done all the tests like I was supposed to then this all could have been found out years ago. On top of that I have torn my esophagus so many times I know they're going to find something wrong there, and what if they misattribute that as the cause. Depression is such an ugly monster though, I wouldn't have got out of bed of it was on fire some days.

Back
Top Bottom