Pain management for gastral bypass surgery complications

profbeeker

Hi all.
I'm pretty new to this community and new to the quest for medicine but long time rec user. I'm basically just seeking feedback from any persons who may can resonate with my story.
Ok, so my mother had gastral bypass surgery about 15 years ago. It was the old school surgery where they stapled half of the stomach to Make only a certain portion of it usable and in function. I think now the similar procedure that succeeded the old one uses a rubber band to half the stomach(lapband?). Anyways, pretty much since her surgery she has had a real struggle with both keeping food down and on what she can eat. So many foods upset her stomach to the point where she's immobile and in bed the rest of the day. Over the past 15 years she's lost so much weight,as was expected. But to me, so much more weight. She was prescribed Norcos after the surgery and has been on them since then. Her doctor prescribes her 300 a month and has for 15 years. It's obscene. It's deteriorated her health by itself. My dad (good man) has had to be in charge of her pain pills and dole them out to her for probably the past ten years. I've tried to get her to try cannabis to substitute the opiates but to no avail,the effects of the grade of cannabis I have is too much for her, almost like a trip she says. So long story short she needs a replacement for the opiates and to avoid a serious withdrawal the need is time sensitive. God love my dad but he wants her to start going to the methadone clinic. I think that's out of the question. My wife and I have been slowly growing medicine for my mom in the hopes of having a large supply of CCO. If there's anyone out there that's read this far, any suggestions on strains or treatment types for the madre? Currently growing supreme cbd durban. Feel free to check out my journal

all topics discussed by me or in threads are strictly fictitious

I'm new to this site and just saw your post. I had gastric bypass surgery six years ago. I still MUST be very careful on what I eat. I get massive bloating, nausea, vomiting with too many carbs. I must start my day with protein. Deviation? I pay the price with severe hypoglycemia. I am disabled with back problems for the past 11 years. I know about narcotic use, abuse, tolerance, dependence, addiction and death. Your mom isn't going to like this, but the narcotics have got to go. I know they are the only thing giving her an iota of relief at this point, but they are killing her slowly. Personally, I'd look into a hospital stay where they keep you unconscious for 3-4 days until you have withdrawn from them. Then I'd tackle re-medicating her with cannabis. I did the withdrawl alone at home. Not fun. I literally tore drywall off my bedroom walls with my fingernails. I don't recommend it, besides going through hell, it's dangerous. However, it's something I'll never forget either. After she's gotten most of the narcotics out of her system, she really needs to see a registered dietitian. Not nutritionist, not coach. She should also seek support groups for those that have had weight loss surgery. Mine are free at our hospital in town. I seek info/tips/recipes also through ObesityHelp.com. She also should give cannabis a fair try. I'm using it 100% to control my pain, appetite and my mental health. People hear marijuana and they think smoke filled rooms, stoned/drugged out people eating munchies all day. That's not me. I'm a 51 year old grandma living in Oregon. I'd love hear from your mom, if it would help.
Julie

Hey Jules 13!
Such a relief to hear someone chime in about this. Sometimes when you're dealing with health issues you feel like you're the only one who ever has. You described my mom's life to a T. In the past year she's gotten way better about the protein intake. She does an egg with cheese on it a few times a day. The sad reality is that after all these years her doctor has finally cut her off with her prescription. She has until the end of may until she runs out. I dread that day. I've dealt with her withdrawing a little bit before, and it absolutely breaks my heart. My dad's strong willed decision to get her into a pain or methadone clinic really makes me nervous. I think that is the worst mistake they will ever make and will inevitably kill her. I've tried to talk him into just trusting me to medicate her with cannabis but he just doesn't like the idea. Or rather doesn't think it will do the trick. It's also illegal in any shape or form where they live so that makes them nervous also. Our CCO and other concentrates won't be available for her until at least june, which will be way past when she runs out of her prescription. Such a dilemma. I like the idea of what you mentioned about the hospital stay detox. I will relay that option to both of them. By the way, my mom is in her early 60s. She's been dealing with this for about 20 years total I'd say....such a shame. She not a very Internet savvy person but I will talk with her about downloading this app and maybe soon you can both talk directly. Again, thank you so much for your outreach. It means a lot.

I think I'd have stopped the pain medication, if I'd knew I could have at least gotten through the initial 4 days without going through the withdrawals, so id highly recommended to have your mom detox with medical supervision at the very least. Withdrawls are seriously scary and produce anxiety just recalling it. Also, knowing that I can medicate with cannabis helps the associated anxiety that comes with chronic pain, knowing i have some relief available. In fact, I think my anxiety is worse than the pain at times. Its a merry go round. Which came first/chicken/egg. It really doesn't matter. Regardless, you have to deal. She doesn't live in a state with medical marijuana approval? That completely sucks! I get the legality issue. I've got a dozen state and feds in my family. My dad? Narcotics and homicide state cop. I'm using pot? Remember, this is your brain on drugs?? What could I possibly be thinking?? What people fail to realize is there's more to cannabis than getting high. Getting high has it's place and time (party on), however, the high is controllable. I admit it, there are times I use the cannabis to deliberately get high to take my head out of the equation to get anxiety down, so I can deal. However, with all the different strains, I don't have to be high, if that isn't my goal. I found a cco made with Harlequin (thc=2.04%. cbd=64.61%) made by Who? (walkin happy oil) that controls my pain with zero head high. I'm not familiar with 100% cbd tinctures that claim to be 100% legal in all states. I've heard they're made from hemp seed oil, not hemp oil, which doesn't help?? I honestly have no idea. My thoughts are with you and your family. Write back.

Well I've tried kicking around this oil idea with my pops now for about 6 months. She's about 2 weeks away from being out of her meds and he just won't yield. He thinks the methadone clinic is the only route. Being that they live so far away, it's tough to really know what's going on. I've reinforced a million times that we've invested a lot of time and good energy into making this medicine for her but he just doesn't trust me. And yea, the biggest issue is they're oldschool and are just too scared about getting "busted". Actually some drama has come from me feeling so strong about her NOT going to methadone clinic forever. We're supposed to have a huge family reunion next week and my wife and I have both been planning for it for months and they're giving us the silent treatment so we've opted not to go. I really hate the thought of her having such a deadly awful withdrawal but maybe that's what it will take to get my dad to see how serious this is, and that maybe the decision they make about it could kill her, or make her a dope zombie forever. Sigh, anyways, I'm so very appreciative for your support. This has been such an uphill battle and I feel like a tiny little helpless voice of reason in all this.

Wow @profbeeker, I don't envy the position you and your family are in. I can only speak from my own experience, so please don't think I'm trying to tell you what to do. I'm not. I have no idea your family's background. Personally, I wouldn't miss the family reunion. Life is short. My parents, although they drive me nuts at times, are getting up there in age where I physically see them slipping away from me. Your mother is about to go through a very distressing time. She will be sick, angry, hurt, anxious, unreasonable and possibly an outright bitch and those are just the beginning. Unfortunately, with her prescriptions ending, withdrawls are to be expected. I hope she's been trying to cut back slowly, but with me, I always had good intentions, but never was strong enough to follow through. If I knew what the future held, personally, I'd go to the family reunion and try to agree to disagree. I believe you said you and your wife don't live close to your parents. All the more reason. Clear the air, maybe not agree, but know you left the current situation as best you could and that you did your part in the relationship. You have no control over your mom's health treatment plan. Don't you hate that?? NO control? Boom. That's my biggest hurdle every day. Realizing I have very little to no control over some aspects of my life and having to let those things slide. Do I enjoy that I use cannabis? No....okay.....yes?? I do enjoy it at times. I hate that I must rely on it. Do I feel like the addicts you see in the media dying from od'ing on heroin? Yes. It's been drilled into my head that marijuana is BAD, a gateway drug, you'll lose your job and die an addict or at best, in prison. Would I rather use it and be able to LIVE a decent, productive, somewhat happy life with my friends and family? Yes. It comes down to being the lesser of 2 evils for me. Narcotics or cannabis. Dead or alive. Because I guarantee you, I eventually would have tried heroin to bring my pain down, stop withdrawls, whatever. THAT scared me more than cannabis ever could. I truly hope your mother never feels that desperation. I still feel it at times. My hugs to each and every one of you. I live in Oregon. I'm sure your parents don't live here, because you mentioned cannabis is illegal in their state, but if I could ever been of assistance, or just a friend to vent to, I'm here. I don't feel comfortable putting out my phone number for all to see, but you can contact me at (remove spacing) julene . (dot) williams 0513 at gmail . com for more privacy, if you'd prefer.
Julie

Back
Top Bottom