Crohn's Disease

Happy Kitty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you suffer from Crohn's Disease?

Does Cannabis help ease your Crohn's Disease?

Please share your experiences with us.

Thank you:rollit:

Re: Chron's Disease

Crohn's - Info.

Crohn's disease is an inflammation of the small and/or large intestine, with accompanying pain, cramping, tenderness, gas, fever, nausea, and diarrhea. Though usually mild, bleeding may occur and may sometimes be massive.

Although the inflammation and scarring can affect any region of the gastrointestinal tract, typically the ileum (part of the small intestine) and colon are affected. The inflammation caused by Crohn's disease damages the mucosa, where nutrient absorption occurs. As a result, the ability of the intestine to do its job is severely compromised and in many cases requires surgery.

Weight loss is common due to reduced intake because of abdominal pain, cramping, and diarrhoea. In addition, the ability of the intestine to absorb the energy-yielding macronutrients, in particular, protein and fat, may be reduced.

Iron deficiency is common in individuals with Crohn's disease due to poor intake and blood losses via the gastrointestinal tract. Deficiency of vitamin B12 is also common, as it is absorbed in the ileum. Anaemia can result from deficiency of iron and/or vitamin B12. Both B12 and iron can be administered via injection if needed. Individuals with Crohn's are at risk for osteoporosis (loss of bone) because of both the disease and the corticost*roids that are used to treat the disease. Therefore, most individuals take supplemental calcium and vitamin D.

Conventional treatments have significant side effects (even when they work, and they don't always) more than half of people with Crohn's disease turn to natural therapies.
In September 2008, the FDA ordered stronger warnings for common Crohn's drugs -- inflix*mab (R*micade), ad*limumab (Hum*ra) and c*rtolizumab pegol (C*mzia) -- after an association with the risk of developing fungal and yeast infections such as Candidiasis was found.

Typical alternative treatments include:

Probiotics - Specifically: Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidus.
Fish Oil + Antioxidants
Vitamin B12 supplements (preferably sublingual, shots are painful)
Acupuncture - This has been gaining support from Crohn´s patients in recent years.
Diet Control - Just avoid processed foods, white breads and dairy.
Stress Control - Stress makes Crohn´s worse physically, we don´t fully understand why.
Marijuana is not a typical treatment for Crohn´s....however:

"The major active constitutent of the plant Cannabis sativa (marijuana), THC, and a variety of natural and synthetic cannabinoids have been shown to possess... anti-inflammatory activities...
Results indicate that the endogenous cannabinoid system represents a promising therapeutic target for the treatment of intestinal disease conditions characterized by excessive inflammatory responses."

Apr. 2004 - Journal of Clinical Investigation

and

"While marijuana might temporarily reduce pain and nausea, there is, as yet, no evidence that it can control chronic intestinal inflammation--the underlying cause of these symptoms in Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis...
CCFA's expert consensus remains: The harmful side effects of marijuana far outweigh its potential benefits."

Aug. 4, 2005 - Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA)

All of the above information has been taken from reputable sources.
However, please bear in mind that this disease can vary immensly from patient to patient, i.e. what works for one, won´t automatically help another.

Hi,

I am pretty sure you can get medical MJ for Crohn's here in Canada. I thought I had it (pretty much everything I eat upsets my stomach badly and comes out.. well I won't go into the details) and tried to get a prescription but my doctor said I didn't and won't even talk MJ. So I've taken to medicating myself.

At first I thought it was his reputation that he was worried about then a friend pointed out that the villians (big pharma companies) kick back to doctors who prescribe their drugs, hold conventions in nice places in fancy hotels, ect. These multinationals go to big efforts to seduce doctors into prescribing their meds and little of that has anything to do with improving the quality of life for their patients. MJ dispensaries spend their time rebuilding from raids and on other costs not sending doctors to Miami. People blame the politicians but forget that most politicians are empty headed automatons for their special interest groups. Politicians do what their campaign contributors tell them to do.

God, I'm sorry for the rant. What I wanted to know more than anything is what strains people are finding best for Crohn's since I'm about to start growing in a few months and unlike what I get from dealers I want to pick something targeted more specifically at my problems. I was thinking of Blueberry or God Bud... Heavy Indicas.:ganjamon:

Thanks!

My buddy has Crohn's, and is on all kinds of pharmaceuticals. Especially for pain.

mmj USED to help stimulate his appetite, take the "edge" off the op*ate effects, and he could gain some weight.

then... they pissed him, and told him if he pissed positive again, he wouldn't be able to get his pain meds.

now he only puts weight on when his pr*dnisone cycle comes around.

i told him to move to michigan. those mmj folks really have their stuff together.

personally, i prescribe to an old indica strain that KILLS my gut pain within 5-15 seconds of first exhale. this strain has been in my family for years... way b4 all these fancy names. but i think indicas are a good starting point for you.

i am completely op*ate and gluten free.:peace:

I have taken several tests to see if i had Crohn's Disease and none were positive. However, my Dr. still insists that he suspects that i might have it. I have had no side effects and he is letting me just go day to day until i experience anything related to Crohn's. I have my medical marijuana license in California and have been a member for 3 years. Maybe keeping up with my daily intake of cannabis has helped in the long run. I have my license for other medical reasons by the way.

Happy Tokin..:yummy:

I have severe Crohn's disease, it's pretty much everywhere from my mouth to my rectum and even the newest drugs can't remove the inflammation completely. I quite often use pot in a bubble vaporizer. Works wonders for the pain due to bowel/stomach inflammation and nauseau due to stomach inflammation. Better than op*ates and with less side effects! I don't really have an idea what kind of strains are best. I suppose higher CBD strains (including indica's) are better due to the fact that CBD increases pain reduction and has some immuno-modulatory/anti-inflammatory effects. Technically this would also make Sativex a good drug for Crohn's and I believe it's currently in clinical trial somewhere.

It's pretty cool that THC has been proven to reduce TNF-Alpha secretion, meaning it has a similar effect to many of the new Crohn's drugs which are bloody expensive.

this would also make Sativex a good drug for Crohn's and I believe it's currently in clinical trial somewhere.

Sativex is/was being tested in Spain if I'm not mistaken. In recent months I was told that they approved it to market.
I know the post is old, but how do edibles affect Crohn's? My docs are leaning toward IBS for me. MMJ helps the appetite for sure. Sometimes when ingested it calms my stomach. I eat cookies, cakes, rice krispy treats, firecrackers. it definitely helps.

As with any edible mj, the end result is pretty much the same, however its quite dificult to control the high (duration/strength) compared to smoking or vape. Personally, I´ve eaten hash melted into hazelnut yogurts and its worked fine for me during a few of my bad days.

The main problem is a lot of people with Crohn´s or ibd would have problems injesting any type of food, beneficial or not, whilst suffering severe bouts of diarrhea or stomach pain.

By the way, a side note: New treatment for Crohn´s being sucessfully used in Barcelona, it uses your own body´s stem cells to "reboot" your immune system:
Stem Cell Treatment

its quite dificult to control the high (duration/strength) compared to smoking or vape. Personally, I´ve eaten hash melted into hazelnut yogurts and its worked fine for me during a few of my bad days.

I don't know if medical cannabis is available to u where u are, but ask whoever u get ur edibles from "what's the dosage?" meaning "how strong is this?" In California, a good dispensary will have products with all of the information labeled right there on the package. If u make your own, be consistent with the ratio of butter/oil to cannabis. Also be consistent, use the same amount when making ur edibles. This way u have an idea of how ur body responds to the medicine. Then u should have a better idea of how much to ingest for what problem or amount of pain. Just my opinion. Oh yeah. How did u know how much hash to use for the yogurt? U ever over do it?
:roorrip:

I have Crohn's and it is a life altering disease. Of all the things I used to worry about dying from when I was younger, Crohn's sure was a surprise. When I get a flare up, at least once a month, I ulcerate from my lips to my colo, rectum. They put me on this new aids medicine, As*col, and the cure was worse than the disease. Constant puking, depression and no energy, forget sleeping. And that's just from the medicine. Odd enough, my doctor had no problem in putting me on the MMJ program. The kick in the pants is that it wasn't my gastro doctor but my regular doctor, the only doctor who seems to be truly interested in the benefits of MMJ.

A really heavy Indica, 100%, takes my pain away almost within 30 seconds. Thank God for this plant. As I have learned recently, today, Sativas give me awful headaches. But that's just me.

I have to take so many other drugs for my body that I get really heart sad. I think of my lost youth and my children and wonder where the time went.

I hope everyone has a safe week and blessings to you and yours,

PFirefly

Okay I have to think here...Was diagnosed around 15.. was on predn*sone, as*col, etc.. and getting the occasional rem*cade infusion. woohoo :straightface: Rem*cade really screwed up my life. Nerve damage in my arms (this was at like 20 though).
I started smoking like a month before turning 19.
Started because meals were hard to put down. Lemme tell you. Smoked part of a small joint, :tokin: that kind. Maybe 30 seconds later I was eating like no tomorrow. :morenutes:
Went back to med's realizing I could feel better. BIG MISTAKE. We'll, for my case. Blah blah, had my ileum removed a few years ago, and now here I am almost 24. Off all meds. Just trying to eat healthy ( severely reactive to chicken for my disease :surrender: )AND ingesting in many ways the:yummy:
There are strains that do it better, but somethings better than nothing if you aren't blessed with the option of dispensary quality buds.

To the statement about B-12 being a treatment... I think it is something that has to do with the absorption of food, and a lot of us with crohn's have screwed up ileums, which is the site of B-12 absorption. So taking supplements is key to staying active and healthy.
If you are missing a ileum like me you have to take shots. I HATE needles. Being high doesn't always help with that!

If anyone wants to message me about treatments I am willing to talk! I have studied it trying to go "legal" knowing my parents weren't cool with the medical cannabis.

My dream... Is to grow many many plants, freely, outdoors. And have honey oil for myself and a bunch of other people. If they say it helps cancer I think it would work as a long term crohns treatment. Smoking a small joint can allow me to eat like no tomorrow with less than a quarter intestinal diameter (and thats for about 8 ") due to inflammation.. I bet it can be a great long term treatment for us!
When expensive and potentially dangerous drugs can barely compare with the results and come nowhere closer to curing us... It really makes me mad this isn't legal. And when it is there are weird hoops to jump through. Enough ranting though!

Thanks for making this thread Happy Kitty! :goodjob:
Now all us can share what strains help us!
I don't get as much appetite benefit from diesel's. I said it.

When expensive and potentially dangerous drugs can barely compare with the results and come nowhere closer to curing us... It really makes me mad this isn't legal.
Key word: Expensive! Follow the money, Honey.
Sad to be fooled, and think that governance works for popular benefit.
Wrong to kow-tow to governors, who are mere tools for their masters.
A small group of men control the money supply; the Fed's owners.
Could any less lofty cabal or senate maintain this absurd position on MJ?

I have crohns and bad arthritis that comes with it. My doctor laughed at me when i asked about MMAR and then he went on saying something about how not to kid my self and its just as addictive as oxy's that he would rather me take, not to mention he wants to cut 6 inces out of my intestine. So I POINTED AND LAUGHED in his face and told him he doesn't know shit and as a doctor should be more educated on these matters legal or not. I left and will be going back shortly for my Letter of Diagnosis. lol.

I know this is a little old but I have crohns and you guys must know MMJ isn't a cure, It's a pain relief, apatite enhancer. etc

If you want to have a intestine left when you 60+ then steroids / infusions are a MUST and to tell anyone to ignore there doctor and self med with weed is just stupid.

I know it's hard on your body but weed will only cover the problem untill you have you whole tract removed.

I have infusions what helps with flare up soooooo much but last shorter each time i get one (first time lasted 2 years) and MMJ for the pains and cramps.

I not saying weed inst a great help but it wont fix you or bring you into remission.

Interesting, I don't have Crohn's but my bf does. I am not sure the extent of it, I know he has horrible stomach pain from time to time and feels sick to his stomach. As far as I know, he is not taking anything for it. He was but he stopped but he does tell me that mj seems to help. I also have stomach issues and I know after taking a few tokes, it settles my stomach and helps me to eat.

I don't think anyone is saying ignore the doctor. But more like people have made that choice to because the doctors would rather have them take pills that make them feel worse or the shots are too much to deal with. It's a personal choice.

Yes but youre being misinformed if for any reason you think it's something that can be ignored, tell your bf to look for Medicines like Infliximab (Remicade) and adalimumab (Humira), certolizumab (Cimzia), and natalizumab (Tysabri).

They take a few hours at a doctors to administer and can last over 2 years. If you have SEVERE crohns these are some of the only long term relief meds that will work.
my gran lost alot of her guts to crohns from lack of medical care, and you can die slowly from malnutrition.

I love my weed for the symptoms but it won't slow your immune system, It's a chronic disease ie no cure

I will talk to him about this, thanks. I don't consider myself misinformed for the fact I know little about it. But for whatever reason my bf is not taking meds for it. I know he was at one point then stopped.

Yes but youre being misinformed if for any reason you think it's something that can be ignored, tell your bf to look for Medicines like Infliximab (Remicade) and adalimumab (Humira), certolizumab (Cimzia), and natalizumab (Tysabri).

They take a few hours at a doctors to administer and can last over 2 years. If you have SEVERE crohns these are some of the only long term relief meds that will work.
my gran lost alot of her guts to crohns from lack of medical care, and you can die slowly from malnutrition.

I love my weed for the symptoms but it won't slow your immune system, It's a chronic disease ie no cure

I'm sorry for your gran, but this is a awful description of crohn's disease options, even if you are just looking at just the "meds" side.. This is no beef with you, jimm14... But this is a misinformed thinking that the drugs you mentioned would be acceptable longterm treatment for crohn's disease...

Diet is number one for long term health with crohn's. And many like myself only learn how much of a role it plays after meeting unfortunate consequences... Those drugs, cannabis, or surgery aside... You eat your problem foods and you will have flare-ups... Hell, stress is pretty well linked to be a strong trigger of flares... This disease calls for a life-change.

These drugs... Are awful.. They aren't guaranteed to work either.. Look at the numbers in trials and you will be surprised (one had less than 30% put into remission over a year of infusions..and the placebo did nearly 10%). The family of immune-suppressants you suggest cause cancer.. Your supposed to take another immune-suppressant in conjunction to lower the chances of lymphoma... And that one effects your liver... And I believe has a cancer chance too... And all the first family of immune-suppressants lose effect over time, + chance of developing anti-bodies...

I'm not saying they are evil... I'm saying treating yourself longterm with them is hell. If you've been on a bunch of these types of drugs, you know that.

These are for while your making your changes to your life... To keep your butt out of the hospital.

I control my crohn's with cannabis and a healthy lifestyle. It has allowed me to eat when I had a large scarred tissue stricture. It has kept my inflammation away and helped during flares in ways these drugs never could even start to touch. I can't speak for everyone, but for myself... I've seen the changes in my "scope" pictures over the years. Nothing made such a significant difference as cannabis has, both on symptoms and actual "viewed" crohn's activity in my GI tract.

And to the comment of "slowing" the immune system... It has been shown to modulate the immune system... Maybe thats why so many "immune" disorders like crohn's see real long-term benefits from it... And it doesn't inhibit it so much that you get sick much longer like on pharma-immune-crap.

Sorry brohan... I know you are just trying to help. Surgery is what most people want to avoid, and if these drugs can keep away scarred tissue and surgery while you figure out how to be healthy... They are a life saver.

If you have scarred tissue? They will take care of excess inflammation, but your stricture will stay.. Then its a judgment call on surgery... I'm not sure how to say this.. .But it seems with most people I've known with crohn's... Many of us get used to feeling crappy. So how much "better" the treatment makes you feel is tough to gauge, and even small help seems like its great... I would suggest anyone of age with crohn's to at least try cannabis... You might be surprised at how much discomfort you have really been living with.

Hello all,

My Crohn's has advanced to the point to where I now have a 3 inch fistula that I am going to have to go into the hospital to take care of. I can either let it grow into my kidney or get it removed. What would you do? My teeth are starting to fall out because of lack of nutrition. Still I am not comfortable with the treatments that have been suggested to me. It's all a personal choice as to how an individual decides to care of his or her self. I was supposed to get a scope every 6 months after it was discovered the degree of my Crohn's. I didn't want to live that way. And if I am told in the hospital that the only way for me to survive is to be on the drugs you mention I will most likely decide not to take the drugs you have mentioned in your post/response. Why? One, I really do not trust a myopic institution like the AMA. Two, when I came into this world I was not handed a money back guarantee on life, no do overs etc... Again, personal choice but no guarantees. I believe that the spiritual has as much impact on getting better or worse than the physical does. Faith. Hope. Charity of spirit and most important love. I believe, or I should say choose to believe, that one day I will be able to live with this awful disease.

With all do respect to your posts about this disease I believe that people can get a handle on it through homeopathic therapies as well as they can through palative restoration. What I am reading from your post is that no matter what we Crohn,s sufferers do or don't do we all eventually end up at the same destination as the next person: An incurable disease. And there is suffering with this disease. I think we all can agree with that. We are what we belive.

Sorry for taking up so much space and I hope it wasn't redundant.

With blessings to all,

PFirefly

Back
Top Bottom