Wood pipe tastes better?

EveryPipe

I hit a 14 inch wooden water pipe that had all wooden pieces. The bowl, the DIFFUSED downstem, and the actual pipe. Wood on wood joint.

The only reason I got to hit it is because I had an argument with the owner (a friend of mine) about herb supposedly tasting waayyyy better out of a wood piece than my glass Zong. I was skeptical.

......:roorrip:....

I agree that it tastes .. different. But better? I dunno about all that noise...

It's comparing a bottle of beer vs. a can

What do you think?

Water pipe? Except for an honest to God bamboo bong my cousin brought back from Vietnam,I can't say I've ever used one. I'd never heard of a bong before that,much less seen one.

I've owned a number of regular wooden pipes over the years,and especially prefer them for social smoking. They don't get hot the touch like metal pipes do,which means less accidents passing them around.

The down side to wooden pipes is that you have to break them in. It involves soaking the bowl in water overnight,letting it dry,then building up a "char" on the inside of the bowl. You do that by slow smoking full bowls over a period of a couple of weeks. You'll need to use trim for this process,as constantly relighting resinous bud will burn the bowl out before it has chance to build up the "char".

If you treat them right,wooden pipes can last for decades. I've got a rosewood piece I've been using since the late 70's.

Cleaning is easy,run a pipe cleaner through the stem,give the bowl a scrape with a pen knife,pop out the screen to give it a little wiggle to clear it and you're set. You need to scrape the bowl down and re-prep them every 6 months to a year to keep them in top shape,if you use it daily.

They beat the Hell out of joint,bongs,and one hitters,IMO. They're a real pleasure to smoke. They cut down on cottonmouth,too. It's a pleasant way to deal with trim and popcorn bud,just puff and maintain a nice buzz all evening long.

Oh,yeah. No jet lighters with wooden pipes. Burns 'em out.

Everyone has a preference...

It's joints, glass (pipes and bongs), or vapor for me...I stopped using wood, ceramic, metal, etc once I found I preferred the cleaner taste of glass. Joints are just plain easy, the way I started, and will NEVER give up :grinjoint: . Vapor is relatively new for me, and still trying to get used to it. But a glass on glass bong...my all time favorite method :bongrip:

:peace:

While for taste I prefer glass, I do miss walking into a head shop back in the day before glass became popular and picking out dozens of different metal pieces, in every color imaginable, and building a truly unique piece. My friends and I took a lot of pride and time in our pipes, and each really expressed a lot about the owner. Don't get me wrong, there are some really beautiful glass pieces out there, but they just don't have the personal touch the metal pipes used to. Plus, I have a tendency to drop my pipes......a lot. So I have to keep a metal one with me. The taste is harsher than glass, but its what I grew up on so I'm used to it.

I too am relatively new to vaping, so I'm still trying to get used to it as well. Many people have told me how much better the flavor is to smoking, but I too cant really jump on the "better" bandwagon. Its different, I like it, but I think I have been smoking for so long that it will take a while to get used to the vape taste.

Wood though, I've never been a huge fan of. I remember back in high school a friend had an all wooden water pipe, it was nice, but it never gave me the urge to pick one up myself.

I happen to enjoy the taste of the meds much better then I like the taste of wood, no matter what kind of tree it came from.... Glass is where it's at... I always have to finish off a vape session with a big ole bongieee... :roorrip::)

I made a nice little wooden piece that I call "woody" lol. It was made out of a cottonwood tree, which is a really soft and lightweight wood. I found I nice girth stick, cut it down, then let it dry for a few months. Then I cut it down to about 7" in length. I got a drill and drilled straight through the middle of it. Then on one end (but on the round part) I drilled a much bigger hole (3/4") down just until it met with the other hole which became the bowl. Then I sanded everything down, trimmed one end down to be the mouth piece, and left the bowl end in tact. After I shaped it where I wanted it to be and sanded it down all nice and smooth, I painted it black. Then I sanded out the bowl and made sure that there was no paint in the bowl and just around it so I would not risk getting burnt paint fumes when lighting. Then I put in a screen, and VHALAH!

I like smoking out of it because first its homemade so it means a lot to me, and second because its easy to conceal.

The wood taste doesn't bother me at all, I kind of like it. But the smoke is very harsh. I stopped smoking cigarettes and because of this my throat is MUCH more sensitive to harsh smoke. Therefore it gets harder for me to use it. The hits are very subtle because they have to be small or else it makes me cough like crazy due to harshness. It takes about 3 hits to feel a nice buzz.

I have a mini vape that I bought about a year ago that I have used only a few times. I like the feel because its not harsh, but the vapor doesnt seem to give the the effect or outcome that I was hoping for, but its not bad. But the damn fan is soo annoying that its a buzzkill. Therefore I decided I needed to get something else.

I decided to buy me a glass bubbler. It should be here in a few weeks (ordered online). This will allow me to have slight filtration and cool the smoke, but still easy to conceal. The one that I bought is the Molino Mini Bong. Example IMAGE:
DSCN2553.jpg

PEACE

I wonder if a pipe was made from a weed stump and a hollow branch would it taste better then wood or glass or metal?
I have a stump I've kept for making into an pipe just haven't gotten around to it yet. when I do someday I'll post pics and smoke results.

That sounds like a great idea to me! You have to let us know how that turns out. :smokin:

That is nasty my friend... PLEASE, PLEASE stick to glass bowls or water pipe or vaporizer..

god bless./

If you prep a wooden pipe right,you don't get a wood taste,just weed. If you're tasting wood,it wasn't prepped right or made out of suitable wood,such as briarwood,burl,or rosewood. Wooden pipes should be made from very hard,dense,woods.

Cottonwood is way too soft,but I like the design. I've had a couple of nice maple pipes,if you want to go cheap,those are good choices.

Back
Top Bottom