How long does the smell stay on clothes? / How to get rid of the smell fast?

dissociative

Hey ya!

I usually smoke half a J driving on my way to work with windows down and would take mint and spray some perfume before I do a 3-5 min walk to the office which is mostly open air (I've usually put it out 2-3 mins before I park). At this point I usually assume the smell around me isn't generally not that much.

What surprised me is when I entered my office building, the guards seem to have noticed I smelled like pot. I was fortunate enough that they didn't make a big deal about it that day though obviously it alarmed me.

I know it's a pretty subjective question, though I don't really think my sense of smell is that reliable. I could hardly smell myself whether I reek of pot or not.

How many minutes at the minimum do you guys usually spend on "getting some air", before knowing it's safe to go into a place with people? What do you guys do to minimize the pot smell that floats around yourself?

Sensible tips and styles will be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks!

Re: How long does the smell stay on clothes? // How to get rid of the smell fast?

Hey!

What I try to do is not smoke in the shirt that I'm wearing before work. I feel that smoke sticks to cotton way more than jeans/slacks. I hang up my shirt in the back of my car with a dry cleaning bag over it. When I get to work I just take it out of the bag and slip it on. With my rhotos in one pocket and some stride in the other, I feel confident that no one will notice me.

You could also try smoking before you leave for work.

Re: How long does the smell stay on clothes? // How to get rid of the smell fast?

They make a spray that removes smoke odor from clothes called GONE-SMOKE for hair and clothes which comes in a small convenient little aerosol can, works great! :thumb: I have seen this in several convenient stores and you will no doubt find it in any local head shop, probably along with several other kinds of odor eliminators.

I keep this stuff in my truck, just for that reason, not for work though but to keep those pesky cops off my ass in the event they want to bust my chops...feel me? :peace:

Its not only, or primarily, your clothes, its your hair.

Also would suggest to stop smoking jay's and go to a small pipe. Small single hit types are best.

That way while you not inhaling, there isn't smoke rolling around you. Years ago, when I was in the navy, we had it down so well, we could take hits from a sneak-a-toke in the same room as the officers and they never knew.

i find joint smoke sticks to me much longer than if i smoke from a pipe. There are times when I can still smell it on my hands 5hrs later, but a bowl will never last that long.

Three ideas that may work:
1) Get a vape that you can fill bags with, take a bag with you in the car, or a get a vape that is portable (I have found that vapes smell much less since they aren't burning the MMJ and creating a lot of smoke).
2) Febreeze spray, works wonders on all sorts of smells
3) small plug in deodorizer, ionic type, they create enough ozone to kill odors but not enough to be harmful to you.

Smoking a joint in an enclosed vehicle... You could probably hang your jacket up all day and a non-smoker would be able to smell it the next day if she sniffed at the jacket.

I'd worry about the lungs as much as about the clothing. You can usually tell when someone has smoked recently when they point towards you and start talking even if they have brushed their teeth and used mouthwash. Or I can. And I'm a smoker (both cannabis and cigarettes) - I assume that non-smokers notice much easier.

The safest way is to have a shower and wash your clothes that is the only way it be 100% no one will tell you where smoking.

If you go over to friends house to smoke pot you have to have a shower and wash your clothes before leaving.

Thanks for all the sensible comments!

Well for starters I now try to keep an extra shirt in the car and use it when I toke up.

Didn't really think the Smoke-Gone spray does really work, but I'll probably give it a try if I come across one.

Oh and thanks for informing me about the hair, I totally didn't think about that right away. I don't think I can do much about it, aside from probably not smoking if my hair is still wet which may have the tendency of keeping the smell.

I've tried pipes before but it's too much of a hassle to reload when you're on the go, and it's more obvious to concerned citizens compared to a joint.

I used to scout around for a portable vape years back and considered the Vapir One, though the mixed reviews didn't convince me to get one. Maybe someone can suggest a good one these days? :)

Like I said, I pull the windows partially down and try my best to blow out the smoke to it won't be too much of an enclosed space...

Anyway thanks a lot! Hope this helps for other people as well. More suggestions are welcome!

Well for starters I now try to keep an extra shirt in the car and use it when I toke up.

Good idea (if it's bagged).

Oh and thanks for informing me about the hair, I totally didn't think about that right away. I don't think I can do much about it, aside from probably not smoking if my hair is still wet which may have the tendency of keeping the smell.

... Wear a hat? Won't cover all of your hair (unless you get the kind that has those fold down ear/neck flaps like Dad wore in the late 60s / early 70s when he worked at the gravel pit and it hit -20F with 30mph winds during the cold part of the winter - but you might look a trifle odd this time of year, lol) but every little bit helps.

I've tried pipes before but it's too much of a hassle to reload when you're on the go

Wow, how long is your commute? My old non-vaporizer bowl holds about a gram if it's ground up. Then again, my brother bought it in '77. Some of the ones I've seen at the stores look like they've got tiny bowls. Still, they're standard thread, you could get a brass (or chrome) bell reducer and an all-thread (short) nipple and your bowl would be as big as mine or larger. Been a long time since I saw my Protopipe (hid it somewhere around the house; it's still hid, lol) but I seem to remember that it held a fair amount. And the big storage container built into it holds several refills. And there's always a Dugout, some of them have one-hitters that look like a cigarette if your commute is so traffic-packed that you're likely to spend the entire journey creeping along with cars right beside you the entire time.

and it's more obvious to concerned citizens compared to a joint.

25+ years, nobody has been concerned enough to notice me. Well... Except a car-load of young ladies, and that doesn't really count since I held up my bowl and smiled (and then pointed to a parking lot, and then...), but I was a lot younger once. These days I just pay attention to traffic, people at the side of the road, on porches, oncoming traffic when they get close enough to actually have a chance to see WtF I'm doing, know not to have my mirrors adjusted so that people behind me can look into them and see the pipe stuck between my lips, pay attention to the locations of traffic (et cetera) cams, etc. Also, not acting paranoid (being paranoid is fine) helps and if Johnny (or anyone, really, but pay special attention to LEO) whips up beside me or I get stuck across from him at a stoplight after taking a hit I'll hold it until there's no visible smoke when I exhale. No sense taking chances.

You're FAR more likely to encounter trouble walking into your place of employment smelling like a stoner than having a few shots from a bowl (etc.) along the way, IMHO - unless your boss is a head too, of course. Well... even then, probably; mine brings the herb and he'd still get pretty irate if I got out smelling like cannabis. That wouldn't be cool, we work around people.

I used to scout around for a portable vape years back and considered the Vapir One, though the mixed reviews didn't convince me to get one. Maybe someone can suggest a good one these days? :)

Guess you could get a Volcano, fill up a bag at your house (or two? depending on the length of your commute), and attach a clear hose to it so that you can leave it below the level of your windows. Unless you're like me and cannot afford to drop six bills on a vaporizer. You could conceivably drill a small hole into your floor and run a hose to exhale through as well. That combination would take care of all of your smell problem except for what you'd exhale for the first couple of hours at work. Although with a vaporizer that'll be a lot less.

Then again, I'd probably end up dropping the hose and rolling the car trying to get it. And after the third time I rolled one (like I said above, I was young once) I decided that I'd not do it again. Those experiences never end well, lol. Like the time I almost didn't get stopped by the trees before ending up in the river. Or the time I managed to flip end over end off a country road and got so banged up that I must not have been paying attention afterwards and the cop that showed up scrambled down the hill, shined his flashlight into my car, and saw my hemostats laying on the headliner, lmfao <WHOOPS!> (yeah, I used to smoke joints in the car too; turned out it really wasn't worth the trouble!). Climbed back up the hill, showed them to me, and asked if I was a doctor. Then immediately said, "Oh, I see, doctor. That's how you wrecked your Monte Carlo - you were rushing to the hospital to perform emergency surgery, is that it?" and then he 'cuffed me and chucked me into the back of his cruiser to go back down the hill to look for my herb - because the 'stats smelled like a joint, lol. So there I was, digging half a lid out of my pants and stuffing it between the back of the seat and the bottom part... He crawled into my car, couldn't find anything, and came back up and unlocked the 'cuffs. But that was the last joint I smoked in my car (lost my sack over it).

After that, I just smoked a bowl and paid attention (haven't rolled any more cars either, knock on wood). If I run out it takes less than 30 seconds to tap & blow out the bowl and pour a refill out of my film canister unless the screen is clogged up - and who leaves the house without making sure the screen is clean? These days I try to make things as simple as possible. Less stressful.

Like I said, I pull the windows partially down and try my best to blow out the smoke to it won't be too much of an enclosed space...

That's a good idea regardless of your method of consumption. Before you exhale, crack your window and hit the switch to drop the passenger side rear window all the way down; if you're moving at a fairly good clip the air flow will pretty much suck the smoke out. Remember to shut off your a/c, heater, defroster too as you don't want the smell to end up in the ductwork.

Make sure that you have a good bird-dog too. That way if you happen to get nailed going 93 in a 70 you'll have enough warning to clear the air and hide your bowl (etc.). Alcohol wipe or the like on your hands and you're ready for a 15-minute @ss-chewing, lol. Or <COUGH> so I have read.

Joint smoke definitely seems to linger the longest, perhaps investing in a portable vaporizer would help reduce the smell. It could also conserve herb as the joint is continuously burning. If that's not an option then I would suggest looking into a deodorizing spray, as it would work to remove the smell not just cover it like perfume.

If you're into eating citrus fruits (Lemons, Oranges, Limes, Grapefruit, Tangerines, etc.,) the peels contain some very fragrant oils that I've used many times to cover up the smell of Cannabis (even Tobacco) smoke.

I eat a lot of citrus and I often eat a piece of fruit (citrus or otherwise)after tokin up. If it's an Orange or a Grapefruit - when I peel the fruit, much of the oils automatically wind up on my hands already. I generally give the peels a good squeezing, to get more oils and stuff on my hands, and then I just rub it all over myself - on my face and hands, in my hair, on my clothes, arm and legs, wherever...

More than just covers up the smell of Cannabis - almost like "binds" with it and makes it smell like something other than Cannabis smoke.

Back when I smoked cigarettes and was still living with my folks, I would smoke in my car all the time. I had about a 15 min commute, and my folks never knew. Here's how I did it, and this applies to MJ too!

1) Never smoke in the vehicle. May or may not be practical for you, but smoking in the vehicle, the smoke will cling to the upholstery, and every time you are in the car a little will stick to you. Not to mention, even with the windows down, the limited air flow.
2) After smoking, always wash your hands with soap and use the alcohol hand cleansing products. This will get the smell off your hands.
3) On your commute, have both your window and the passenger window down to where you can feel the most wind around your chest area. This will force fresh air over the clothes that you are currently wearing, and help alleviate any odors.
4) Breath mints are your friend. So is mint flavored gum!

Get yourself an Iolite vaporizer and you can ride with the windows up and not worry about the smell.It's temp controled and when your done you just turn it off and then save the vaped weed to smoke before bed for a night cap. HAPPY DREAMS!!!

Back
Top Bottom