1 - 1N4001 diode
IMG_076248.JPG

1 - PN2222A transistor
IMG_076153.JPG

1 - 220 ohm resistor
IMG_076336.JPG

1 - peristaltic pump
IMG_076446.JPG

1 - tubing that fits your peristaltic pump (not pictured)
2 - wire (not pictured)
jug, glass, vase, or any other vessel that can contain water (not pictured)
Tools: wire snippers, soldering iron + solder (not pictured)

Step one protect the motor, solder the 1N4001 diode between the two connection on the motor. The end with the silver band on the diode should be facing towards the positive side of the motor as shown in the photo below.
IMG_076540.JPG

Step two protect the Arduino board, solder the 220 ohm resistor onto the centre pin of the PN2222A transistor as shown in the photo below.
IMG_076635.JPG

Step three wire up the transistor to the board. The emitter pin goes to the GND, the base pin with the resistor soldered too goes into the A0.
IMG_076840.JPG

Step four solder your two pieces of wire to the motor. As shown below
IMG_077039.JPG

Step 5 connect the motor. The positive wire goes to the Vin and the negative wire goes to the final pin on the transistor. As shown below.
IMG_076947.JPG

Step 6 Connect the Arduino to your PC using the USB cable. Download the correct software from Arduino's website. A quick google and you can find this easily. Once you have the software running, you can copy this code across. You can edit the numbers 5 and 60 at the top to your desired times.

int motorPin = A0; // pin that turns on the motor
int watertime = 5; // how long to water in seconds
int waittime = 60; // how long to wait between watering, in minutes

void setup()
{
pinMode(motorPin, OUTPUT); // set A0 to an output so we can use it to turn on the transistor
}

void loop()
{
digitalWrite(motorPin, HIGH); // turn on the motor
delay(watertime*1000); // multiply by 1000 to translate seconds to milliseconds

digitalWrite(motorPin, LOW); // turn off the motor
delay(waittime*60000); // multiply by 60000 to translate minutes to milliseconds
}

Final step connect the tubing to the pump. I have mine coming from a Oasis watering system as my water sources but you can just place the Inlet tube into a bottle or glass of water. Then run the outlet tube from the pump to your plant.

If you have any questions please ask, thanks

This is so sweet. And how many other functions could the arduino take on before it is maxed out? Estimated system cost? Very well done explanation Blue!

Innovating daily

It's ok, it's not the best way of doing this as I'm still only learning how to use Arduino myself. I'll be doing a better tutorial on a better system soon. It's not even close to maxed out it could be running led screen, Bluetooth, several pumps and still have room for more. Estimates cost would be £50 but could be made cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Are there comercial products similar to this out there already? There must be. What do you think are your advantages over those systems. Would you like to sell this in the future? As I hinted before, I'm a product developer and would love to partner up, or just give you some encouragement and ideas.

Innovating daily

I totally agree! You can do it. It can all be open source and you just sell the hardware. Feel free to call me today. Hopefully you remember where I stand outside naked :)

Innovating daily

Back
Top Bottom