Cannabis Tourism In Maine: Thoughts & Ideas?

Maine just legalized and retail won't be online until at least Feb 2018 (due to a delayed referendum included in the law...they are basically trying to figure out how to tax it). In the meantime, it is legal for 21+ to use cannabis and, for Maine residents 21+, to cultivate, possess, and give away (up to 2.5 oz w/o $$ received).

This opens interesting opportunities for communities that already barter as well as a steady stream of summer tourists that have come to Maine for a century. We have a small farm and rental and I have been looking at OR/CO/WA for examples of cannabis tourism ideas. So I am looking for ideas for myself and to share with others in my community (where 15% of the population are food insecure and could use new revenue ideas)

I have seen vapes/pipes at residences so guests don't have to travel with them. Makes sense.

I have not seen any "classes" in cannabis growing where guests could come and learn the process. I have seen people come here for hog butchering weekend classes, so why not cannabis?

Currently, we have on our Airbnb listing "420 friendly". And, surprisingly, Airbnb has no policy "against" listing cannabis related offerings.

Anyway, thoughts appreciated.
:420:

Re: Cannabis Tourism in Maine - Thoughts & Ideas?

It's funny we're talking a couple days ago about Airbnb for our camp with many offerings played out, most complimentary, and edible infused meals and drinks. Tours of the gardens and goings on. But classes ? Wow, Blue Hiller. You may be onto something else altogether here.
Holler at me sometime
:passitleft:

Well, I definitely don't know enough to be teaching anybody anything but it seemed logical/possible. The beauty Miane's legalization is that it automatically bumps Maine, as a destination, to the top of people's list. There is a lot of hand wringing going on about the retail side of cannabis in the future of Maine. I think the recreational/private user side is so much more accommodating, especially if you can offer another service and throw in the herbs, as you say, complimentary. "Here is your $50 omelet sir...help yourself to the spices!"

Just an Airbnb with infused meals and tours would go well, we think.

With all the fixins is what I say. The wife n her mom call them amenities

Imagine it depends how rules are written, as in OR you can't smoke in a public place. So is a BnB/Motel considered a public place? As here in OR you can't open up a bar/lounge for it and not sure if they have addressed lodging, so may be a "grey area" or something they haven't set in stone yet. Probably would need to consult a good lawyer too as wouldn't want to lose everything in a lawsuit if someone partakes and goes for a drive and kills someone in example, they may know if complimentary controlled items as part of a paid service is allowed too (like can you give complimentary alcohol, as imagine it may be treated same way). As I have thought about a 420 Motel, but even though it been legal here awhile it isn't really spelled out very well if allowed, that and they change the freaking rules every other day it seems.

Word of mouth and some creative marketing works wonders.

Imagine it depends how rules are written, as in OR you can't smoke in a public place. So is a BnB/Motel considered a public place? As here in OR you can't open up a bar/lounge for it and not sure if they have addressed lodging, so may be a "grey area" or something they haven't set in stone yet. Probably would need to consult a good lawyer too as wouldn't want to lose everything in a lawsuit if someone partakes and goes for a drive and kills someone in example, they may know if complimentary controlled items as part of a paid service is allowed too (like can you give complimentary alcohol, as imagine it may be treated same way). As I have thought about a 420 Motel, but even though it been legal here awhile it isn't really spelled out very well if allowed, that and they change the freaking rules every other day it seems.
Legislation will always be a hurdle for us. For next comes mass commercialization and the bureaucracy of it all.
Small-time tucked away, and by reservation, and recommendation only.

Legislation will always be a hurdle for us. For next comes mass commercialization and the bureaucracy of it all.
Small-time tucked away, and by reservation, and recommendation only.
Not saying that certain safe guard shouldn't be implemented. I am only willing to give up so much...

Not saying that certain safe guard shouldn't be implemented. I am only willing to give up so much...
Besides we have only briefly kicked this around. Not even really considering doing this. But we have been talking about tours of our fields. Looking to do and industrial hemp grow as well. Niche market. Hemp seeds and textile. American made Maine Hemp products. Only two people up to date have applied here.

Pretty sure July/August are the only 2 months you want to tour Maine.

Burrrrrrr...

Common misconception...September/October by far the best. As far as the "burrr", well it depends where in Maine. Northern Maine can get there (but still not as cold as the Midwest) while coastal Maine is warmed by the Gulfstream through the year.
And we have approximately 38 million less people than Commiefornia ! :thumb:

FYI, Maine says you cannot use cannabis in a "public place". Their definition:

(1) A place owned or operated by a governmental entity to which the public at large or a substantial group has access, including but not limited to:
(a) Public ways as defined in Title 17-A, section 505; (roads?)
(b) Schools, government-owned custodial facilities;
(c) The lobbies, hallways, lavatories, toilets and basement portions of apartment houses, hotels, public buildings and transportation terminals; and
(d) Public beaches; and
(2) Private ways and parking areas, physically adjacent to public ways and designed primarily for vehicular traffic.

FYI, Maine says you cannot use cannabis in a "public place". Their definition:

(1) A place owned or operated by a governmental entity to which the public at large or a substantial group has access, including but not limited to:
(a) Public ways as defined in Title 17-A, section 505; (roads?)
(b) Schools, government-owned custodial facilities;
(c) The lobbies, hallways, lavatories, toilets and basement portions of apartment houses, hotels, public buildings and transportation terminals; and
(d) Public beaches; and
(2) Private ways and parking areas, physically adjacent to public ways and designed primarily for vehicular traffic.

All of those are wonderful places to partake :-0 Good luck on whatever you end up with as a business model, we have several interesting years ahead of us as ganja tourism starts to take hold.

Looking at Airbnb (nationwide) and saw a few listings that straight up are titled "420 friendly House" or similar. Reading the reviews, guests were clearly treated with "gift baskets" upon their arrival and could even place custom orders prior to arrival. Host had some extras listed in her description area, but that probably was a cash transaction (guest repaying host).

BUT, if you wanted to go down that road you title it obviously ("Smoke Shack!"), charge a obviously increased rate ($200-$300/night) and guests could get gift baskets and/or daily treats. In Maine, this would CYA because you are charging for the accommodation...the rest is a gift.
:high-five:

I like the gift basket idea. When I travel I want good herb to smoke and don't want to go looking for it. Years ago it was no big deal to travel with a gram or so in my pockets....not so much now with air travel. It would be cool as heck to show up to my lodging and have herb ready for me...homegrown herb, not some random street shit. Maybe a cheap bowl since I don't like paper and don't want to go bowl shopping.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom