What's a lid?

HappyOneHit

I think its an outdated term, none of my friends or dealers have ever used it, but I remember hearing it quite a bit in Cheech and Chong sketchs. Just curious.

wait, when they weighted the weed, they put it on the actual lid of the coffee can, or the little thing they took off that are on like the ones on soda cans? four fingers of pot? that makes no sense to me

Haha I think everyone is more confused than I was. OBM, sounds like you knew something, wanna help us out?

Some people called a lid just a four finger bag like the others have allready posted and some people will say that lid means Ounce and if you look around the web many defs will call the LID an ounce.I wish people still gave out four finger bags.But its true back in the day they would try to measure by seeing how many fingers worth was in the bag and they would call it a day.Not this crap you see today the way some people weigh.To me a 1/4 is a 1/4 and so on.:joint:

A lid.. since the 60's it's always been slang for an ounce.. that's what I know and I'm stickin' to it. And yes some of us had triple beams.

An ounce seems a bit much for the context used. Up In Smoke is the most memorable movie in which they use the term, in it I assume they smoke an entire lid in one sitting because all thats left is seeds. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sure Cheech and Chong had no problem smoking an ounce in one sitting, but the time elasped seems pretty short in the movie and wouldn't make much sense. I don't know, its just something that confuses me.

apollo13 said:
a lid is one finger worth of pot if that makes senses to you
kay, follow up- Is that a literal finger of pot, the amount of space one finger would take up?

In britain, or at least with the people i've smoked with, a "lid" is a term for creaming up a whole bong from 1 bowl and clearing it in one.

e.g You wanna have a "lid" on this.

Coming from the 70's, a lid was usually 4 fingers width (using your own 4 fingers.) and it typically measured out to be an ounce. This was measured in a plastic sandwhich baggie. It was not that the dealer was not weighing out his product, but usually a buyer didn't carry a scale.. so the 4 fingers was a basic equivalent .. you could eyeball your bag and know that you were pretty much on the mark. Now, for that. $10.00!!! Today.. 1/8th is $45 where I am from... and back then they had all kinds of interesting names just like they do today...

However, let's also keep in mind that back in the 70's, shake/stems/seeds would be included in your "lid" for $10.00... today's bags.. holy cow.. a whole lot different.. pure bud.. minimal stems.. hardly any seeds at all...

My current favorites are "train wreck" and "pineapple express".. goodness gracious.. that'll put you on your butt!

So for those who were wondering about the "lid".. I don't know about any coffee can lids for measuring... but I do know for a fact that a 4 finger lid was about an oz and it was $10.00... early 70's fact not fiction!:yummy::yummy::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Coming from the 70's, a lid was usually 4 fingers width (using your own 4 fingers.) and it typically measured out to be an ounce. This was measured in a plastic sandwhich baggie. It was not that the dealer was not weighing out his product, but usually a buyer didn't carry a scale.. so the 4 fingers was a basic equivalent .. you could eyeball your bag and know that you were pretty much on the mark. Now, for that. $10.00!!! Today.. 1/8th is $45 where I am from... and back then they had all kinds of interesting names just like they do today...

However, let's also keep in mind that back in the 70's, shake/stems/seeds would be included in your "lid" for $10.00... today's bags.. holy cow.. a whole lot different.. pure bud.. minimal stems.. hardly any seeds at all...

So for those who were wondering about the "lid".. I don't know about any coffee can lids for measuring... but I do know for a fact that a 4 finger lid was about an oz and it was $10.00... early 70's fact not fiction!:yummy::yummy::cheer::cheer::cheer:

This is the true fact, Peace out:peace:

a lid ... the part of a sandwich bag that folds over the top

when u bought a lid you got a sandwich bag full up to the lid

simple as that ... :peace:

Thats what we called a lid.It cost $30.00 bucks and it was never seeds and stems.I always got my stuff back then in the blue grass state.The bud was always more on the sativa side long slim buds and very green some with red hairs and some with orange hairs.

Contrary to popular belief a Lid is not an ounce of weed. The coffee cans had a key like a sardine can and the Lid would be wound off the can. The Lid used to measure usually contained about 4 fingers of pot. People at that time didn't have a triple scale to weight pot.

Right. that's what we would get in the seventies. I was too young sooner then that. it was a very long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom