Bend Over, It's Time To Get High - The Low Down on Cannabis Suppositories

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
A most outrageous profession.

While at the Expo, Dan comes up with the most hilarious product idea I’ve ever heard. “My company is Cannabanus,” he says in his best Dutch accent, “and my product is the new cannabis suppositories. You put the cannabis into the plug, the plug goes into your butt. Then you are getting high very quickly and efficiently. There are many blood vessels in the anus and they are absorbing the THC at an extremely fast rate. It’s called the Assinator.”
suppos_closeup.jpg

How to make Suppositories
To make marijuana caps, buy capsules at a homeopathic pharmacy or through the internet. The vendor will also have a small manual capper that makes 100 capsules at a time. The device holds one piece of the cap in place so they can be filled easily. There are several sizes. The biggest is a double O. Some people find these hard to swallow. A smaller size capsule is easier to swallow. It also makes it easier to take the right amount, not too much and not too little.

The cannabis is dried and ground to a very fine consistency in a coffee grinder. After the cannabis is ground, let it sit for a few minutes so that the THC bearing glands settle, rather than float away.

Pour the ground cannabis into a small bowl. Add enough olive oil and mix it in so that the cannabis powder sticks together. Use this mixture to fill the capsules, then put the tops on. Keep refrigerated. For long-term storage, place the capsules in a container and keep frozen.

Any grade of cannabis can be used. Renowned author Tom Flowers, deceased, first made caps from medium-sized leaves trimmed during manicuring. Later he switched over to smaller trim collected from the last stages of preparing bud. Both the quality and the quantity affect the intensity of the experience.

Another method that you might use to get high without smoking is using a tincture administered sublingually, that is, under the tongue. Cannabinoids that have been extracted and dissolved in alcohol are quickly absorbed by the mucus membranes.

If you really want to have a blast, fill your capsule with Medical Marijuana's bum ringing blackout bud butter.

Here is the recipe

Black Out Bud Butter
An even better bud bum buster butter.

Improvement number one comes from using European sweet butter. Regular butter is about 80% butterfat while European butters range from 84-86%. This may seem trivial but remember it is the butterfat that exacts the cannabinoids so a 7-8 % increase in butterfat will result in a more efficient extraction and stronger butter. European style butter comes from a number of manufacturers including Plugra from upstate New York, Strauss Organic, and recently Challenge European Style. Yes, the best still comes from France but it is exorbitantly priced.

Improvement number two comes from using a Braun high speed coffee grinder to convert all cannabis plant material from whatever source to a fine powder. The use of powder means the butter will taste more like cannabis as some of the chlorophyll and a few terpenes get into the butter. It also means a vastly increased surface area where the butterfat meets the cannabinoids. Using powder or “flour” significantly increases the potency of the final butter.

Improvement number three comes from using the best starting materials available. In this case Train Wreck, California Orange, and Pooh Bear trim were ground up and supplemented by powdered California Orange flowers. Using bud as opposed to trim will increase the potency of the butter.

The three improvements noted above resulted in cannabutter that is markedly different from the normal (and quite wonderful) Better Bud Butter. Black Out Bud Butter (BOBB) is approximately 2oo-300% stronger. The name BOBB comes from the fact that this butter is midnight green and will cause blackouts if too much is consumed.

Ingredients:

2 ½ pounds (six cups) of European Style high butterfat unsalted butter. I combined 8 oz of Plugra with 1 pound of Strauss Organic and 1 pound of Challenge European Style. Everyone has there own favorites but mine is Strauss. Strauss is smoother and less greasy than the others.

4 oz powdered Train Wreck Trim

2 oz powdered Pooh Bear Trim (a cross of Train Wreck and Salmon Creek Big Bud)

2 oz powdered California Orange trim

1/3 oz powdered California Orange flowers

Method:

The butters were melted in a covered crock pot set on high. The powdered cannabis was gradually stirred in with a wood spoon. The mixture was frequently stirred and cooked covered on high for one hour followed by three hours set on low. Stirring was accomplished every 15 minutes.

After four hours the hot mixture was squeezed through cheese cloth into a bowl then the product was filtered once more through cheese cloth. All available butter was squeezed out producing approximately 3 ½ cups. Theoretically, the cloth balls remaining could be re-extracted with more butter but the product would not be nearly as strong. Approximately 75-85% of the available cannabinoids are extracted on the first pass.

Note on Preparation:

No gloves were used in squeezing the rather hot cloth balls into the collection vessel. If you go barehanded beware of burns. Usually the ball can be twisted and held at the top then you can press the ball with the wood spoon against the side of the collection vessel. Once the ball has cooled sufficiently you can “wring” out the last of the cannabutter. Yes, this is messy but will leave your hands oh so soft.

Note on Amount of powdered cannabis to use: I use as much as will go into solution with the butter. This varies depending upon the cannabis and source.

Note on Potency:

I know this cannabutter is potent simply from the extreme effects produced from handling it.

Re: Bend over, it's time to get high. The low down on suppositories.

This covers the suppositories nicely, both oral and anal.

No, Cheech and Chong aren't on the payroll. Neither is the Weed Man. They don't have free samples, or the munchies. And their office Christmas party wasn't any wilder than yours was.

But as a small pharmaceutical firm working on a medicinal product derived from the same plant that's, um, high on the radar for recreational purposes, some ribbing is to be expected.

Luckily they take it all in stride at Toronto-based Cannasat Therapeutics Inc., one of a handful of companies in the world that is researching and developing medicines derived from cannabis plants ( yes, that would be marijuana ).

Their aim is something a lot more serious: to help people suffering with chronic and neuropathic pain, depression, anxiety and movement disorders using all the known benefits of cannabis - including being a pain reliever, a relaxant, an anti-nauseant and an appetite stimulant - minus the social stigma of smoking pot.

On top of that, their first product in testing, CAT-310, takes away the so-called "buzz" of marijuana that makes some terminally and chronically ill patients, particularly the elderly, uncomfortable and anxious. This medicine is aimed directly at the $4 billion neuropathic pain market that is mainly serviced by various opiates, anti-convulsants and anti-depressants.

Cannasat's pursuit is all perfectly legal and has the backing of Health Canada, including a narcotics licence, "and you have to be a pure-bred pharmaceutical company to get one," notes chief executive David Hill.

His mission since Cannasat was launched in 2004 is to educate investors about the benefits of what he refers to more scientifically as "cannabinoids," the naturally occuring molecules unique to the cannabis plant. The best known is THC ( tetrahydrocannabinol ).

The idea is to mimic smoked cannabis through the invention of a new drug delivery technology that can be absorbed on the tongue, like a thin wafer. It doesn't get digested by the stomach and processed by the liver before reaching the brain, so it's similar to inhaling cannabis.

There are other products on the market using THC, including capsules and an oral spray, but anything that lands in the stomach and is processed by the liver increases the high, he explains.

"What we're trying to do is we've created a sublingual tablet so it goes into the mouth, into the bloodstream and then into the brain. What's compelling is when you take oral THC, it's five times more psycho-active. When it goes through your stomach and metabolizes, it's getting you high.

"So it's losing its efficacy and it's making you more stoned. So we're trying to take clinically proven molecules and reducing the high," Hill says.

One of the pluses is that THC is known to be an effective treatment for neuropathic pain and nausea.

"Most people who are sick don't want to get high. And what doctors are reluctant to do is prescribe medications that get you high," such as opiates, which can also be toxic, make you nauseas and constipated.

"Cannabinoids are safe. They're virtually non-toxic. We all remember from high school that if we drank too much we got sick. But if you smoke too much pot the worst thing that would happen to you is you fell asleep. And when you woke up the next day you might have been a tad groggy, but really there's no hangover.

"We know from recreational data that when some people take ( smoke ) too much THC it can cause paranoia, it can cause anxiety. Some people love it to death. They think it's just wonderful. But for some people it causes anxiety," says Hill.

Opiates such as Oxycontin and codeine can help with pain relief but they've been proven to be highly addictive. THC is much less so, he says.

"The biggest problem with oral dosage forms of THC today, the spray and the capsule, is that THC is a very thick, oily substance.

"Our solution is we have a nano-encapsulation technology. It takes that oily substance and turns it into a powder, so that powder will now dissolve in the saliva," and you don't have to swallow it, he explains.

"We know this works. If we can create a more elegant delivery system, I think we have a very marketable pharmaceutical product," Hill says.

One person who is excited about the medicine's potential is Sara Lee Irwin, Cannasat's director of public relations. When she was 32 years old she was diagnosed with cancer in her pelvis and hip. Today at 50, she walks with a cane and still suffers from chronic pain.

She's taken every powerful painkiller out there from Percodan to Oxycontin but found she couldn't function normally in her daily life because of the high, the constipation and the lack of appetite. She's taken THC in oral capsules but she's never found it as effective as smoking herbal cannabis.

Because of her condition, Irwin is one of the 2,000 people in Canada legally allowed to purchase and use medical marijuana, which she smokes three or four times daily to ease her suffering.

"I've switched over completely. It moves the pain off-centre and I have a ravenous appetite," she notes.

When it comes to her company's mission: "I feel really good about what we're doing, and I have a great interest in this," Irwin adds.

Recently Cannasat reached a milestone they hope will get them closer to their goal of bringing a safe and effective product to market.

Earlier this month Cannasat successfully completed Phase I clinical trials, the first key study in humans that now provides them with important safety and medical data to launch them on to further product development.

"It's an important first step for us. It keeps us on track to move CAT-310 to Phase II testing by the end of 2008," he says.

It's at that point that the big pharmaceutical companies take notice and could sign on as a partner to market and distribute the product. They're already in preliminary talks with some, he says. They estimate revenue potential of $500 million-plus.

"We're not doing this to be a little, wee company. We see huge potential here," Hill says.

Cannasat went public last year on the TSX Venture Exchange and continues to trade at or around its 52-week low of 17 cents a share. Its market captialization is about $14 million.

Companies getting into Phase II of clinical trials, as they will be next fall, are trading north of $100 million in market cap, he says.

"We have great potential to be a big company with institutional money and move the research along further," Hill notes, adding their next products will be aimed at treating mood disorders such as anxiety and depression, and with localized pain.

But what about the public perception about pot?

"Now that we've established ourselves as a pharmaceutical company, I don't see that stigma. It certainly hasn't held us back in Canada. We've had a lot of support from Health Canada," offers Hill.

"I think the only stigma we have is that the average person, when they hear about it, their first reaction is cannabis is somehow a back alley drug. And I'm trying to show that ( opiates ) are a back alley drug too.

"I'm not some closet pot smoker or anything. I got into this because the company approached me with a business opportunity and I wanted to do something that I could be really passionate about.

"I realized there's an enormous business opportunity here that could really help people."

[sidebar]

DAVID HILL Q&A

Q. What were your total sales and profits in the last year?

A. We are an R&D company, and thus have no revenues or profits to date other than government grants and interest income. Our company has significant revenue potential and profits upon approval of our drug product candidates.

Q. How much seed capital did you have when you launched and where did you get it?

A. We have raised approximately $9 million since inception from friends, family and sophisticated, high net worth individuals in Canada and the United States.

Q. What's been your biggest success/failure so far?

A. Our biggest success to date is completing our first Phase I clinical trial for CAT- 310. We have had challenges along the way, but so far have not had any major setbacks.

Q. What are the biggest challenges facing your business?

A. From a scientific perspective we have less risk, as cannabinoids are clinically proven and THC is an approved substance for pharmaceutical purposes in both Canada and the US. Raising capital is a risk for any early stage venture, but we've had a good track record raising money, and have continued support from shareholders and other interested parties.

Source: Toronto Star (CN ON)
Copyright: 2007 Toronto Star

Interesting means of delivery, the Assinator, so simple. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks, your entries never fail to amaze.

Ok, I know it's a recipe and all...but maybe we should take this one out of the 420 KITCHEN forum. I just have to believe there's a better forum here somewhere for this one...lololol.....

:bongrip: Peace

thanks but no thanks.... i dont care how high ur getting, im not sticking perfectly good bud... or anything for the matter up my ass.

Josh

Funny read...I think I'm in need of that Black Out Butter, although I prefer to eat it than bend over...hard ass hard core.:thedoubletake:

I think I'll hold off the idea of getting high by putting stuff up the a-hole.
Still very interesting... just not for me. LOL

i once had to take a supository cause i couldn't keep anything down. It sucked to put it in there, but it made me feel alot better. I wish it had been pot though. Putting drugs up the ass recreationally is really common, i heard the morning show on the radio talking about it one day.

Now the real question is, has anyone here tried this method of injesting the good herb? and wtf are those big things in the picture at the begining of the thread? they look fucking huge!!!!

Those are what you "use" :)

i once had to take a supository cause i couldn't keep anything down. It sucked to put it in there, but it made me feel alot better. I wish it had been pot though. Putting drugs up the ass recreationally is really common, i heard the morning show on the radio talking about it one day.

Now the real question is, has anyone here tried this method of injesting the good herb? and wtf are those big things in the picture at the begining of the thread? they look fucking huge!!!!

Sounds like a great method for one of those restroom breaks at work! :rofl: Coworkers would wonder why you come out of the restroom so damn happy! :thedoubletake:

This is an interesting article on suppositories.

Researchers Aim to Develop
Marijuana Without the High
by
MARK ROBICHAUX
Staff Reporter of
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
After 10 years of searching, University of Mississippi Professor Mahmoud El Sohly thinks he has a new way to quiet opponents of marijuana as medicine: a pot suppository. Designed to ease post-chemotherapy nausea, among other conditions, its best feature may be what it doesn't do. "There is no high," says Dr. El Sohly.

Whether the Food and Drug Administration ever will approve his drug, which he has tried out on animals and human subjects, is hard to predict, pending clinical trials sure to cost millions he doesn't yet have. He's trying to interest drug companies.

For patients turning to marijuana for relief from a symptom such as nausea, the high may be an unwanted side effect. To the government, it's illegal substance abuse. So in labs around the world, researchers like Dr. El Sohly are attempting to create marijuana pills, aerosols, injections and sprays that don't create a buzz. Some are tweaking molecules, while others are in the greenhouse crossbreeding plants.

One and the Same
What makes the task so tricky is that the same ingredient that appeals to pot smokers -- tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC -- is what holds promise as a medicine. Of the 400 or so chemicals found in the hemp plant, more than 60 are so-called cannabinoids, and none is more psychoactive than THC.

Some challengers in the race are already claiming victory. A tiny New York City firm called Atlantic Technology Ventures Inc. is waiting to unveil a synthetic compound called CT-3 -- claimed to be THC without the high. Sumner Burstein, a professor at the University of Massachusetts department of biochemistry and molecular pharmacology, developed the drug as a pain-reliever and says it is nonpsychoactive: "I took one myself -- no mental aberrations." At least four years of testing await the drug, which the company hopes to market one day as a "super-Tylenol."

Prof. Audra Stinchcomb of the Albany College of Pharmacy in New York is testing in the lab a patch designed to relieve the side effects of chemotherapy in cancer patients. Key to this effort's success is the rate of "transdermal" intake of the drug -- too little and patients feel no effect; too much and they get giggly. She attaches synthetic-THC patches to pieces of skin left over from plastic surgeries to evaluate absorption.

Fifteen Tons
In southern England, three-year-old GW Pharmaceuticals is hybridizing cannabis plants to breed out psychoactive agents in some cases, to increase THC in others. The company, which has a unique license from the government of the United Kingdom, grows 50,000 plants, producing 15 tons of marijuana a year for medical research. "We have a perfect factory growing one cannabinoid or another," says founder and chairman Geoffrey Guy.

While most other research involves extracting a single THC molecule from cannabis and modifying it, Dr. Guy hopes to use the pharmaceutical extracts of the entire plant. One way to reduce psychotropic effects, says Dr. Guy, would be to increase the content of other helpful cannabanoids besides THC, such as cannabidiol, or CBD, which seems to minimize the high.

GW's first product, which could hit U.K. markets as a pain-reliever by 2003: a device the size of a mobile phone that allows a daily dose of a prescribed number of squirts under the tongue of cannabis extract, containing both CBD and THC. The dispenser won't allow extra squirts. "We have chaps [in tests] using heavy machinery ... some are teaching," says Dr. Guy. "They aren't sitting in a corner high as a kite."

At London's Imperial College, researchers are testing a THC-based drug that circumvents the brain entirely -- delivered by a spinal injection. Though it is too early for human trials, researchers are hoping to find that THC derivatives are more effective than morphine for relieving pain from spinal-cord injuries.

Individual scientists, academic labs and small drug firms are pushing the research hardest, largely because big drug companies have traditionally been leery of the cost and political problems associated with marketing marijuana as medicine. Also, because cannabis is a natural product in the public domain, it can't be patented. Today, the only prescription-based medical marijuana available in the U.S. is Marinol, a synthetic cousin of THC sold and marketed by Unimed Pharmaceuticals Inc. Though approved as a nausea drug in 1985, and as an appetite-stimulant for AIDS patients in 1992, it can induce a drug high. Sales today reach an estimated $20 million annually. Big companies are starting to get interested in the field. "We see them -- Pfizer, GlaxoSmithKline, Novartis -- all the time at the meetings of the society now," says Roger Pertwee, a professor at the University of Aberdeen in the U.K. and secretary of the International Cannabinoid Research Society, a group of medical and academic researchers. "They never came in the past." Spokesmen for all three companies said they wouldn't dispute that assertion but also wouldn't confirm that they have had people at meetings. Kate Robins of Pfizer Inc. said, "Our job is to cure diseases. We have 12,000 researchers. We leave no stone unturned."

In 1999, the Institute of Medicine, a branch of the National Academy of Sciences, made the strongest case to date for cannabis as a potentially effective treatment for nausea, AIDS-related appetite loss, glaucoma, multiple sclerosis and other ailments. Its compilation of studies, "Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base," concluded that cannabinoids have "potentially far-reaching therapeutic applications."

Recent findings suggest that THC holds more potential as a painkiller than anyone ever guessed. Discoveries that the body produces its own cannabinoids that bind with receptors located in the brain and elsewhere lead scientists to believe THC could affect nerve impulses between cells in precise ways. "In war, some men lose limbs and they don't feel pain because the body can turn pain off," explains J. Michael Walker, a professor at Brown University and current president of the cannabis research society. New research suggests that "when you activate parts of the brain that turn pain off, it causes the release of cannabinoids. Can cannabinoids suppress pain pathways? It's a very exciting science question."

Some scientists remain skeptical. "Anecdote is not evidence," declares Alan I. Leshner, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, which funds research on addiction. "There is still very little controlled clinical research on cannabis that demonstrates medical benefit."

Prof. Burstein, of the University of Massachusetts, says other professors often "get a big grin on their face" when he speaks about his marijuana research.

"They ask, 'Did you remember to bring the brownies?' "

shit mightas well sit on a baggie.lol nah but thast seems like a wonder drug for those who cant intake throught hte respetory system.lol still funny as hell though. great read. by the way only one of those looked liek it had weed in it...what in gods name are the others filled with.lol wouldnt ever consider though...lol

now I know where they get the saying :loopy:

Stoned off my ass

I have a good idea of how they make the caps, and decided to research it a bit online.
I came up with what I think are two excellent representations, particularly the FIRST one, which is and has been a preferred method of successful decarboxylization for some time now.

I highly recommend this type of medicine for anyone who cannot always smoke or vape, and for those who need the added pain relief of "body effects!"
I would warn here, that attention to detail is absolutely necessary for success.
Temperature is without question the most important thing to get right and times vary somewhat, but should never exceed about 20 minutes or so in the oven method.

Enjoy.

How to make Dried Activated Cannabis Capsules without any mess

Preheat oven to 225F and let the temperature stabilize. It is important to make sure your oven is at the proper temperature before adding the cannabis.
Prepare the cannabis realizing one double 0 capsule (size 00) contains .2 gram dried cannabis without tamping and about .3 gram with the tamping too. My suggestion is to use leaf/trim/shake or immature/harsh bud for capsules and save the good bud for vaporizing. Dry the cannabis thoroughly before grinding.
When dry, put the cannabis in a food processor (like a Cuisinart) and grind it up to the max. It will be a rougher grind.
Take the rougher grind out to the food processor and pulverize it to dust in a coffee bean grinder. Turn it to dust or at least small enough to easily fit in capsules. Some think this pulverizing to dust may lessen improve digestion particularly in persons with irritable bowel or malabsorption problems.
Transfer that to an oven-worthy dish (like a Corning Ware casserole dish with cover). Rake the cannabis dust with a fork to get it evenly distributed on the bottom of the dish to improve the odds of cannabis getting to the right temperature for activation
In the pre heated to 225F oven, place the cannabis mixture for 20 minutes or longer. Set a loud timer. Sources say 10 minutes at 210F to 220F will decarboxylate (remove the carbon dioxide or-COOH or CO2) from the raw cannabis and make it more potent. The extra time is arbitrary so all the cannabis (even the material insulated in the middle) gets hot. NOTE: I have only done this for small amounts of cannabis so more cannabis might mean more cooking time with some stirring to get an even temperature distribution. There is no cannabis smell in the kitchen at this low temp until you lift the lid and get a little whiff of a vaporized terpene. If you are not sure about your over temp you can put an oven thermometer in a dish. Just keep the temperature about 225F. WARNING: If the oven gets too hot, you will vaporize your cannabis and ruin it. At extreme temperatures, you might even ignite it. This is making medicine, so please pay attention.
While the cannabis is activating, set up your capsule rack. I use one from Empty Capsule Filler, Empty Capsule Filling Machine from Cap-M-Quik® but they are sold at many health food stores where natural herbal medicine is offered. My capsule rack is for 50 double-0 capsules and this seems a good size.
Remove the hot activated cannabis from the oven and pour or spoon it into a room temperature (not hot) dish that won't burn you (a glass serving dish is fine.)
Make the capsules from the dried activation ground cannabis just like you would from any dried herb. Use the tamping tool to pack it in, if you want to raise the amount of cannabis contained in the capsule from about .2 grams to .3 grams.
The ideal dose one swallows will depend on the quality of the cannabis. It is always easier to add more medicine than it is to take it out once you swallow it, so start low and go slow. An average dose might be on capsule every 4 to 6 hours as needed for pain or spasm. They work faster (30 to 60 minutes) and better if taken on an empty stomach (1 hour before eating or 2 hours after eating. An empty stomach and a big glass of water gets it into the small bowel rapidly without belching or bad aftertaste issues like some mention with oil capsules.

RECIPE 2

*This one uses slightly different procedure to achieve similar results. I kind of like the idea of Coconut oil, which I already know is great stuff and which helps the thc molecules bind to the receptors in our bodies.
Again, attention to getting exact temps etc. is detrimental to good conversion.

Marijuana in capsule form
by Martin Martinez, author of The New Prescription - Marijuana As Medicine

For patients concerned with the possibility that smoking medical marijuana may have harmful effects on the lungs, and for those who require a maximum dose of medicinal compounds, oral ingestion of marijuana is preferred over smoking or vaporizing. However, some patients have had unstable or unsuitable results, so we offer this detailed explanation and simple recipe.

When marijuana is eaten rather than smoked, the human liver produces natural cannabinoid metabolites that enter the bloodstream, creating a stronger effect than when cannabis smoke is absorbed by the lungs. The common technique of baking marijuana in brownies or other foods is effective, but unpredictable. The medicinal cannabis compounds are melted into the food when cooking, so the absorption of the herb is complicated by digestion of the food. Therefore, the optimum medicinal benefits are easier to predict and manage when marijuana is cooked with coconut oil and packed into gelatine capsules.

THC, the most powerful medicinal compound in cannabis, is available by prescription from licensed physicians. But most patients who try Marinol discover that it is far too psychoactive. THC is only one of a handful of cannabis compounds that work together harmoniously. For example, it is known that Cannabidiol (CBD) has sedative effects that offset the stimulative effects of pure THC. That is a part of why pure THC pills are known to overpower the senses. In order to get the optimum medicinal benefits without unwanted side effects, all of the natural cannabis compounds should be taken together as nature intended. Thus these homemade "Mari pills" are far superior to pharmeceutical Marinol. Plus, at a cost of up to $12 per tablet, Marinol is much more expensive than pills made from the natural plant.

Commonly, patients use marijuana leaf for cooking and flower tops (buds) for smoking. This practice is often based on frugality, as marijuana leaf is usually too harsh to smoke, yet too valuable to waste. But, as explained above, cannabinoid compounds such as CBD are more of a sedative than a stimulant, and because marijuana leaves usually contain a higher percentage of CBD than THC, eating cannabis leaf can make one especially drowsy. This recipe calls for the use of quality cannabis buds and leaves mixed together. Patients must experiment with different quantities of bud versus leaf to discover the ratio that works best for their specific conditions.

One of the drawbacks of eating marijuana leaf is the common complaint of stomach irritation. The top side of cannabis leaves are coated with thousands of microscopic thorns, and these sometimes cause minor intestinal irritation, even after grinding. For some patients, the use of leaf in Mari Pills is not tolerable, and in such cases, the use of buds alone, without the addition of leaf, is preferred. Note: the small leaves found in the marijuana flower tops are not as difficult to digest as the large "fan" leaves that grow from the stems. Also, the small bud leaves are far more potent than the larger leaves required for photosynthesis. As a general rule, the smaller leaves growing closest to the flower tops are closest to the plant's resin glands, and therefore have the greatest amount of medicinal compounds.

The ratio of bud versus leaf used in these pills affects the values of the recipe, I.E.: leaf tends to grind down to a more powdery consistency than bud, and leaf tends to absorb less oil than does bud, and so the exact details of this variation must be determined by personal experience. The quantities recorded below will fluctuate with differences in the type of marijuana used.

Especially for those with tender digestion, all marijuana must be ground to a fine consistency before cooking. A new coffee grinder that does not contain coffee residue is preferred. First, using scissors or by hand, remove as much of the stem material as possible. Stems have NO medicinal value, and eating hemp stalk is likely to irritate the stomach. If the marijuana contains seeds, they may be included, as hemp seeds are highly nutritious, but again, they do not contain THC, CBD, or any of the other medicinal compounds found in marijuana. All material must be dry. Grind the herb to a fine consistency.

Cannabis compounds are oil-based and do not mix with water, but they boil at 392 degrees F. Cannabis compounds bond with fatty compounds when heated. While many types of vegetable oils may suffice, we find the best results are obtained using coconut oil. Coconut oil has been shown to have powerful anti-viral and anti-fungal properties

One half ounce of dried and cleaned marijuana ground to fine powder in a small coffee grinder equals about one half cup of powder. Set the half-cup of green powder by the stove. Use a very small saucepan. Add 3 or 4 tablespoons of unprocessed virgin coconut oil. Set burner on medium, and use a candy thermometer (up to 400 degrees) to bring the oil to a temperature of 350 degrees. Note: the temperature of heated oil generally rises about 25 degrees after being removed from medium stove heat, so remove from stove at about 325, then wait a moment until the temperature peaks and begins to fall. When the oil reaches 350 degrees add the entire half-cup of powder all at once. The oil will sizzle slightly as the reaction takes place. Stir thoroughly, making sure that the powder and oil are completely mixed. (Do not use thermometer for stirring because it might break.) If the mixture is not pasty, then carefully add more green powder or oil. (Only use enough oil to saturate the green powder to a dark green paste. Too much oil makes messy pills-too little, and the cannabis compounds will burn instead of bonding to the fat content of the oil.) Mix thoroughly, then return to burner on medium heat. Watch the temperature. Continue mixing until the paste looks more oily at about 300 to 325 degrees. Those who have used non-smoking marijuana vaporizers will recognize the smell of vapour trails that rise at 300 to 325 degrees. As soon as the vapour trails appear strongly, remove from heat and mix, then set aside to cool. (Accurate temperature control is most important. After heating, the paste should still be about the same colour. If the paste has turned rich brown instead of dark green, the product was overheated and the majority of medicinal compounds were lost.) Let the paste cool below 100 degrees before packing into gelatine capsules using standard herbal gel cap machines available for under $20 at most health food stores. This recipe makes about 50 of the large size gelatine capsules. Do not use vegetarian gel caps that can melt from exposure to vegetable oils. Pills stored in a freezer will maintain potency for many months.

Common doses are in the range of 2 to 5 pills, depending on the quality of the marijuana used and the patient's personal use. We find the most appreciable results are obtained when the pills are taken just before dinner as therapeutic effects manifest more fully during periods of relaxation and limited activity.
By Chris, Meduser

Back
Top Bottom