Using hot glass to light a bowl

So a friend of mine told me yesterday about a glass stick you light the end until it glows and it vaporizes your herb in your pipe or bong. Any thoughts i checked it out at the head shop and they look pretty cool.. The Glass Palace in huntington beach has fuckin awesome bongs the glasswork is unreal from $20 to over $1000 spent too long in that shop this morning cool owners too.
:rollit:

Yea there called heat rods.

p.s. I was also lookin around in The Glass Palace earlier today for the first time. I usually go to Up N' Smoke in Costa Mesa, they have some pretty nice glass too.

Yes i have used them, they work great! If you hold it so that its not actually touching your bud it sort of vapes it which is nice. Also since there is no use of butane it tastes amazing! :adore:

Can you heat it with a normal lighter?
No, it needs to get way hotter than a regular lighter can make it. The best way I found is using a commercial blow torch from a hardware store, I got mine for 25$ USD and the refill cans are 2$. Use the torch and get the end of the rod very hot (I get mine to have an orange glow to it) then stick it in your bowl.

it looks in the video like it only melted his oil, hows it work on buds?
Works great on buds, all you have to do is rub the rod a little on the bud and it will start cherrying up. You can see in the video when the rod came in contact with the bud it will start burning. :bongrip:

No, it needs to get way hotter than a regular lighter can make it. The best way I found is using a commercial blow torch from a hardware store, I got mine for 25$ USD and the refill cans are 2$. Use the torch and get the end of the rod very hot (I get mine to have an orange glow to it) then stick it in your bowl.

Works great on buds, all you have to do is rub the rod a little on the bud and it will start cherrying up. You can see in the video when the rod came in contact with the bud it will start burning. :bongrip:

I figured as much, thanks for the heads up

I dont like the idea of it that well. Like mentioned above- it does have to get waay hotter than a lighter can do for you-this thing is hot. Im sure you all should know that its glass. When you blow glass you cant touch red hot glowing glass to cold glass, you have to heat both peices first, if you didnt heat them both it can break your glass. I love glass I use it all the time. I personally would not let that thing get that close to my glassware. So I would probably be diggin out some ol metal bongs.(give new life to them I imagine) Ffor some reason though, I was getting the impresson that this is a vape alternative. I dont think thats all to true. You could clearly see that it was lighting up the herballs so you were still taking in the plant matter.

I love glass but would not want to risk using it with that glowing glass rod. I could get some extra life out some older peices. I would also need to have a blowtorch on hand. I know it would work, but so would a glowing red cigarette lighter from your car. I've did that plenty of times and it always worked if I did not have a lighter or only had a zippo(I refuse to smoke a bowl with a zippo)

It seems to me that it lacks practicality, I cant really say that I need one or would use it all that much. I might get one just to show and let some freinds use it. It would not get all that much use out of it. More of a novelty item IMHO, neat to have but nothing like an aeromed.

peese

-me​

now the perfect thing would be, a glass rod with some sort of heating element built inside. with a battery at the end of the wand to power it. after hearing that it needs a special lighter to get it hot enough it just doesnt sound like much fun.

:joint:

now the perfect thing would be, a glass rod with some sort of heating element built inside. with a battery at the end of the wand to power it. after hearing that it needs a special lighter to get it hot enough it just doesnt sound like much fun.

:joint:

These already exist, they are just more expensive and all of the ones i have seen plug into outlets instead of being run on batteries.

The Phedor Butane-less lighter by Wicked Roots seems to be the way to go. Glass wands or "greevo sticks" degrade and fall apart after time due to the high temperatures. The ceramic rod of the Phedor will not degrade and is also inert so it maintains the same great taste. I don't want to link out, so if you don't know what it is then Google it. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I have always wanted one, but $150 is not exactly cheap. Also, most of the time I am too impatient to wait for my current vaporizor to heat up, it plugs in so you are stuck sitting next to an outlet as well as the fact that I would be very afraid of branding myself with this thing once the smoking is done. :peace:

I dont like the idea of it that well. Like mentioned above- it does have to get waay hotter than a lighter can do for you-this thing is hot. Im sure you all should know that its glass. When you blow glass you cant touch red hot glowing glass to cold glass, you have to heat both peices first, if you didnt heat them both it can break your glass. I love glass I use it all the time. I personally would not let that thing get that close to my glassware. So I would probably be diggin out some ol metal bongs.(give new life to them I imagine) Ffor some reason though, I was getting the impresson that this is a vape alternative. I dont think thats all to true. You could clearly see that it was lighting up the herballs so you were still taking in the plant matter.

I love glass but would not want to risk using it with that glowing glass rod. I could get some extra life out some older peices. I would also need to have a blowtorch on hand. I know it would work, but so would a glowing red cigarette lighter from your car. I've did that plenty of times and it always worked if I did not have a lighter or only had a zippo(I refuse to smoke a bowl with a zippo)

It seems to me that it lacks practicality, I cant really say that I need one or would use it all that much. I might get one just to show and let some freinds use it. It would not get all that much use out of it. More of a novelty item IMHO, neat to have but nothing like an aeromed.

peese

-me​

I love my heating rod...use it all the time. I like it way more then using a lighter..much cleaner hit...no lighter headache after my hit.(bic girl)

I dont agree with your saying.. having to heat both sides so the glass doesnt break.. I have been heating my rod and smokin a cold/room temp bowl for about 9 months now...and it has never broke once...

But i have had some close calls(stoner moments) and dropped the rod...missed me but singed the carpet for 1/2 sec. only twice in the last 9 months...im sure it will be bad if it hits me..just seeing how fast it burnt the carpet made me count my blessings.

:rollit::bongrip::roorrip:

I remember when that popular one came out by voodoo like 3 years ago, it was like 100=200 bucks and ran on batteries. I would not vape with it, but create a very controlled burn

Back
Top Bottom