How to make my new stash jars airtight?

sugarpistol

So, I picked up the world's sweetest stash jars today. See [film canister provided for scale ;)]:

stashies.PNG

The lids, however:

stashies2.PNG

Are clearly not airtight. What's the best way to go about remedying this? I was thinking I could try wrapping the edges of the lids with electrical tape, but there has to be a better way. Any ideas? My google-fu is failing me miserably!

For long-term stash storage, you could hold the jar sideways and pour sealing wax on at at the junction where the lid meets the jar. Might be a little messy the first few times you try it though.

For long-term stash storage, you could hold the jar sideways and pour sealing wax on at at the junction where the lid meets the jar. Might be a little messy the first few times you try it though.

That's a thought. I was hoping to use them for curing purposes, though! There's gotta be something I can stick on these suckers that'll keep them nice and tight but that I can also open and close with relative ease, right? What am I not thinking of? Argh!

try an o-ring ... or maybe get a gasket kit and cut ur own ... perhaps a bead of clear silicone ... but if all else fails theres always duct-tape (just kidden)

None of my curing jars were ever pretty. I valued form over function. And since they spent 99.9% of the time in a dark cabinet anyway...

I kept the nice-looking stuff for storing my "in use" med supply.

Might try the old fashioned mason jars, the kind with the rubber seal and metal latch. kitchen supply stores or Big Lots might have them.

I would look for a big cork that would fit, and then trim it to fit inside the lid. Once your happy with the fit, you could hot glue it to the inside.

This technique has been around for a long time. It is used in the wine industry.

OK my mistake, they aren't mason jars. The jars are made in Fidenza Italy, and there are some on eBay. I use them to store flour, sugar. pasta and rice, so they are airtight. I think I need another one to store my buds. Check eBay - search for Vintage Fidenza - Canning Jar. I'll bet one of these will fit your needs.

if you're worried about odor from the pot or to keep it fresh, try putting it in a broiler/oven bag first... just tie it up in there and all the odor will be gone.. plus everything will stay nice and fresh... i usually use two bags... i guess u could use the broiler bag n throw it in the jar

Back
Top Bottom