Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stevehman's LED buyer's guide

Ok I'm loving the idea of the third off effect, but steveHman you said you are still chasing the 1g/watt. With 4 ds200 thats approx. 800 watts. If I'm getting about 1g/watt with my current HID setup, would that mean my yield may go down if I make the switch to LED? Or is you ratio based on the wattage of fully driven LED panel and not the actual wattage?

Thanks for all the help, I hope I'm not asking too many questions in the wrong place, and that other people can learn from my lack of knowledge and excess of questions :p

EDIT** if I make the purchase I am going to do a side by side comparison between a 1000 and the LED's, I now feel obligated lol
    SteveHman liked this post

Member of the Month Winner - October 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe 1g/watt is achievable with both Advanced and Grow Stealth LED's. Presently I think the hold backs from achieving these have been:

1. mistakes causing less than optimal growth. ie: res temps in dwc for me, or other stress inducing mistakes.
    2. Getting the optimal height down to a "t" for lights.
    3. Flipping to 12/12 before plants have had good long veg. **granted we all do this for our own reasons, such as 12/12 from seed, or from clone transplant, 2 weeks veg, then flipping to get grow done sooner, etc.

If not for above I think 1g/watt is totally doable.

Defoliation Hi-yield advanced growing technique

Present Journal: Greensun LED Holy Grail Kush RDWC CURRENT

Kosher Kush RDWC, Grow #7 COMPLETED
    Master Kush & Martian Kush, Grow 6 COMPLETED
    Newest Master Kush Grow Completed
    Grow #4, Kosher Kush Completed
    Master Kush Hi defoliation RDWC LED Completed
    Grow #2 AK48 clonesCompleted

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bassman, the 1gpw is totally realistic. My limiting factor has been no veg time. Also I have been doing various test grows so max yield wasn't the goal. In my last grow I had over 1,000 watts in a 2x6 space, there's no way you could pull 1,000 grams in a 2x6x4 space, just not enough room. If I had 600 watts in there I would have had 1gpw. That grow was using three 360 watt Extreme Flowers to test the optimal height for bloom. Again, I think the footprint should be about 40~50 watts per sq foot, more light doesn't equal higher yield though. You have to consider the other factors, heat, nutes, CO2, actual grow space size. 500 gr per sq meter is the typical advertised yield from breeders, if you have 1,000 MH/HPS watts in that same 3x3 space you aren't going to get 1,000 grams, you lack the physical space for that much mass and will run into issues with heat an humidity (possibly bud rot). So in that grow you would most likely yield .5gpw and it would still be a successful grow by every other metric.
    fromscratch, Magic beans liked this post

Current: 7.0
    Finished: 3.0 4.0 5.0 5.1 6.0 6.5
    Lessons Learned
    LED Buyer's Guide
    Monthly Contests

Post Thanks / Like

Great info, but I was sold as soon as you said its for sure possible, but you have always had limiting factors such as veg time, I understand you cannot grow more than what will fit in any given groW space, thanks for the info, 420 mag seems to have the most members knowledgable with info on LED

You guys are great
    Thanks for allowing me to pick your brain steveHman and I hope my questions spoke for a few other people

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledbudz View Post
    Great info, but I was sold as soon as you said its for sure possible, but you have always had limiting factors such as veg time, I understand you cannot grow more than what will fit in any given groW space, thanks for the info, 420 mag seems to have the most members knowledgable with info on LED

You guys are great
    Thanks for allowing me to pick your brain steveHman and I hope my questions spoke for a few other people
    Ledbudz,
    My feeling is this is first and foremost a learning and education site for the advancement of MMJ/cannabis awareness. Anything I can contribute to that end is my small part in the effort. I think you will find most members share the sentiment and are more than willing to help out where they can.

I truly think that LEDs will be the preferred light source in the next 3~5 years, once costs are inline with "traditional" lighting, although we don't get to that point without a few intrepid growers willing to take the leap and spend the money to prove the nay-sayers wrong. Welcome to the lightbright revolution.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

if u're getting .5g/watt in 3 mo. vs. 1g/watt w/longer veg time & flower time totaling 6mo., using the same 1kwatts it's the same. u just have to wait longer on u're harvest. since time is money, i think most will agree, the quicker u get meds sold, the quicker u have funds to expand. this is strictly from a business standpoint. of course, steve & several others are experimenting & hard and fast #'s don't always apply, and we're all learning what to expect from led's. i'm doing a seed run w/a ds300 now & even the most stubborn female showed pre-flowers in 16 days from sprouting (12/12) . so far i'm impressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paw-paw View Post
    if u're getting .5g/watt in 3 mo. vs. 1g/watt w/longer veg time & flower time totaling 6mo., using the same 1kwatts it's the same. u just have to wait longer on u're harvest. since time is money, i think most will agree, the quicker u get meds sold, the quicker u have funds to expand. this is strictly from a business standpoint. of course, steve & several others are experimenting & hard and fast #'s don't always apply, and we're all learning what to expect from led's. i'm doing a seed run w/a ds300 now & even the most stubborn female showed pre-flowers in 16 days from sprouting (12/12) . so far i'm impressed.
    when you say 3 months, I presume you then mean 1 month veg, 2 months flower. Yet so many folks just dont veg that long, and in the end yield even less per watt. But when a person asks about grams per watt, in the context of previous in this thread, we need to mention these differences.

Defoliation Hi-yield advanced growing technique

Present Journal: Greensun LED Holy Grail Kush RDWC CURRENT

Kosher Kush RDWC, Grow #7 COMPLETED
    Master Kush & Martian Kush, Grow 6 COMPLETED
    Newest Master Kush Grow Completed
    Grow #4, Kosher Kush Completed
    Master Kush Hi defoliation RDWC LED Completed
    Grow #2 AK48 clonesCompleted

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

any mj plant, even those on a 12/12 lite cycle is going to veg for 3 weeks, even autoflowers, so i call it all a flower cycle any time the lites are on. my whole room is on 12/12 except for 2 cabs/rooms (5x5 each) for experiments/fun single plant/custom grows, where i do full on veg. am i making sense or just rambling?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paw-paw View Post
    any mj plant, even those on a 12/12 lite cycle is going to veg for 3 weeks, even autoflowers, so i call it all a flower cycle any time the lites are on. my whole room is on 12/12 except for 2 cabs/rooms (5x5 each) for experiments/fun single plant/custom grows, where i do full on veg. am i making sense or just rambling?
    blah, blah, blah, ramble, ramble, ramble.
    all in fun, just kiddin. Here's my ramble:

My only real point is to suggest in the context of the 1g/w question, we have to give a full on veg with no early cutoff for our own personal gain (meaning get buds sooner). As such, we cannot honestly LED isn't capable of 1g/w if we DON'T go full veg.

In my eyes the closest we can do to compare to HID, which some folks have and are doing, is side by side, same strain, same nutes, same light schedule, grows and compare the results. Even then, one sample (grow) may not be enough unless maybe we are doing a large side by side grow. In other words 3 plants on each side wouldnt be fair unless they were known same pheno's, and even then the clones may have had different amounts of stress. Now take 10-20 of the same strain from seed (hopefully same pheno) and we would get a much more solid idea of HID v LED. Of course having proper height (which seems to be an area of importance and discussion) on LED is going to have a major effect.

A good example of side by side large grows in LED v HID is available on youtube by Mr Blue Goo (google Mr Blue Goo). The entire series was done this year in a large grow. That being said, I am pretty sure he had bad height. He also used probably inferior lights in Sunshine 600w leds with 1 watt chips. **I got that info on the light directly from Mr Blue Goo**

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

prolly not. at least, not yet. most of the grows i've seen r smaller personal grows & yield about .6-.7 g/w. i'll be glad when we can really get these led's dialed in. when they get better/cheaper we'll see larger growers w/more means get involved & the learning curve will be shortened dramatically. u can't blame the commercial growers, because if they try something new & it doesn't pan out they come up short of meds & buyers go somewhere else. then they have to start growing their customer base again. not fun.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe there should be a tv show about growing mmj... and the characters can use LED's to grow. Then... Everyone will want to use them...:58:
    Magic beans, SteveHman liked this post

My first grow v1.2 (Aero, AdvancedLED)

My first grow v1.5 (Soil, Big Bud#1, AdvancedLED)

My first grow v1.7 (Flood table, Advanced LED, various seeds)

My wife's idea for a DIY vertical hydro system

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman59 View Post
    I believe 1g/watt is achievable with both Advanced and Grow Stealth LED's. Presently I think the hold backs from achieving these have been:

1. mistakes causing less than optimal growth. ie: res temps in dwc for me, or other stress inducing mistakes.
    2. Getting the optimal height down to a "t" for lights.
    3. Flipping to 12/12 before plants have had good long veg. **granted we all do this for our own reasons, such as 12/12 from seed, or from clone transplant, 2 weeks veg, then flipping to get grow done sooner, etc.

If not for above I think 1g/watt is totally doable.
    Another thing to think about is strain. No matter what light you use, youll get a small yield if you dont have high yielding genetics.

Post Thanks / Like

well yes, thats a pretty important aspect too.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

since you seem to be the led guru here, have you had any experience, or have you heard anything with the dorm grow lights? I have another thread going asking about them, but i'm a newbie and maybe am not trusted yet. They look like good lights, but i'm a little nervous about them, since there is very little information other than that provided by dorm grow.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Sandtrx,

Just my opinion, but I think it's a damn far stretch to say a 600w will replace 1400 watts of HID. I do use LED and I think they are blowing smoke up our asses saying that. I mean c'mon more than two times output?

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast