Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stevehman's LED buyer's guide

A couple of LED questions, please....

#1.Do LEDs loose their brightness over time?

I have a small closet, and a couple of small tents I use. I have an assortment of LEDs I've collected: A couple of those round 90 watt 'UFOs" a 240 watt, and a couple of 160 waters (both the 240 and the 160s have the red or blue light switches)

I've been gardening for a couple of years, and am pretty happy with the above LEDs....my second question is:

#2. Whats a good rule of thumb on how high to hang LEDs above the canopy?

THanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NCDude View Post
    A couple of LED questions, please....

#1.Do LEDs loose their brightness over time?

I have a small closet, and a couple of small tents I use. I have an assortment of LEDs I've collected: A couple of those round 90 watt 'UFOs" a 240 watt, and a couple of 160 waters (both the 240 and the 160s have the red or blue light switches)

I've been gardening for a couple of years, and am pretty happy with the above LEDs....my second question is:

#2. Whats a good rule of thumb on how high to hang LEDs above the canopy?

THanks!
    1.) Yes, LEDs will deteriorate over time. How much and how fast depends on the quality of the chip, and how much they drive it (if you drive a 3w chip at 100% the lifespan is greatly reduced). On the bright side, by the time the LED panel needs to be replaced (5+years), newer technology will be around and they will be cheaper than the ones you bought. The total cost of ownership is lower than that of other lighting systems based on the non-replacement factor (for 5+ years).

2.) It depends on the lights you have, my rule of thumb is 24~30 for veg, 18~24 for bloom. But again, that all depends on your light, others may recommend closer. Factors include wattage and lens angle, so there is no set answer. But, if you are in the range I recommend you should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post. I am new to LED's, I recently bought a 90 watt UFO type led, (from China) for $200, hadn't read this post then. Space and interest being my motivator to try LED's rather than my old HPS/halide setup. But all things considered I am very impressed with the performance of this light. My girls are still in veg, but the growth has been nothing short of phenomenal. Heat build up is negligible, almost nonexistent, and that in a 3' X 2' wardrobe. I have been reading about 3 watt LED's but the prices are definitely up there. If my plants head up as well as they've vegged I'll be one happy chappy. Thanks again.
    SteveHman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the great thread Steve. After much gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands I decided to go with LEDs for my flower room. The veg room is strictly T-5 but I may try one Penetrator there to see the effect. (First grow journal to follow) The information on this site was invaluable in my research.

Yesterday I bought 4 Penetrators, 1 450 Dorm Grow and one 90W eLoofa UFO. All used off Craigslist except the DormGrow. In spite of negatives about the Penetrators (bad customer support, false claims, etc.) I couldn't pass up the deal. The seller had a setup of 8 1000w HPS with the 4 LEDs in the middle and would move the plants around every so often. He never kept some plants totally under the Penetrators so couldn't tell if the yield was better or worse than under HPS.

By the way, two of the Penetrators were defective - about a quarter of the leds are dead - so I got them for almost nothing. The seller maintained that Hydrogrow will replace them if I can stand the downtime. I figured to use them as is, but maybe I should test the infamous HydroGrow support.

The arguments for and against these lights will continue for a while but I am convinced that they are the future. I simply do not have the power to run megawatts of HPS, so with only two 20 amp circuits I can maximize my space with LEDs.

Thank you all again for sharing your knowledge and experience. The flower room should be up and running in about a week - I'm taking over half of a 40' sea container and have to frame and insulate. Floor will be painted with elastomeric and the walls are mylar. No big deal ventilation is necessary with these lights, just good circulation. When it's done I will share pics.

420 Member of the Month October 2010 & September 2017 TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Look for the guy that's had a bad headache since 1989 - that's me.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by growlife1 View Post
    Yesterday I bought 4 Penetrators, 1 450 Dorm Grow and one 90W eLoofa UFO. All used off Craigslist except the DormGrow. In spite of negatives about the Penetrators (bad customer support, false claims, etc.) I couldn't pass up the deal.
    That must have qualified as the deal of the century, lol. Free?

Quote Originally Posted by growlife1 View Post
    By the way, two of the Penetrators were defective - about a quarter of the leds are dead - so I got them for almost nothing. The seller maintained that Hydrogrow will replace them if I can stand the downtime. I figured to use them as is, but maybe I should test the infamous HydroGrow support.
    Please do. I for one would be interested in your results. As you did not purchase them new from "her," there is no danger of you asking for your money back (and therefore being threatened with being turned in to your local law enforcement authority for (possibly) growing cannabis), so you ought to be safe. As to whether or not you will ultimately receive satisfaction... Who can say?

In any event, good luck with your grow. May you have bountiful harvests!
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil

HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see. -Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light

If you ever loved anything in your life, try to remember it. If you ever betrayed anything, pretend for a moment that you have been forgiven. If you ever feared anything, pretend for an instant that those days are gone and will never return. Buy the lie and hold to it for as long as you can. Press your familiar, whatever its name, to your breast and stroke it till it purrs. -Roger Zelazny, Creatures of Light and Darkness

If Nero was alive today, and a United States citizen, he'd be fiddling like mad. -Tortured Soul

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone heard of California light works, solar storm? Just saw them in a mag. Their site is pretty good, they say they use 5 watt chips. Pretty spendy for under 800 watts.

Member of the Month Winner - October 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

the 800w looks to be driven @ 3.8w per chip.

Interesting specs to a degree.

I'm not convinced the 200w cover 3x3 area. Not well any ways.

I would think about 4 x 200w at like $400 per but the par at 18" is so low, I think you could basically forget lower section bud growth. Probably not bad for like liter size hempy/scrog though. I just can't wrap my head around them being good for a big plant.

They might be good. Hard to say. I'm just not real convinced.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TorturedSoul View Post
    That must have qualified as the deal of the century, lol. Free?

Please do. I for one would be interested in your results. As you did not purchase them new from "her," there is no danger of you asking for your money back (and therefore being threatened with being turned in to your local law enforcement authority for (possibly) growing cannabis), so you ought to be safe. As to whether or not you will ultimately receive satisfaction... Who can say?

In any event, good luck with your grow. May you have bountiful harvests!
    I've seen references to this episode with the "girl" but can't seem to find first person info. The lengths she went to defend her lights was epic so she must be a piece of work.

Thanks for the reply, Tortured.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Coverage for my tent?

I'd like to direct this to SteveHMan, as he's the resident Advanced LED user:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Sir:

My tent interior is 36" x 54", and I'd like to get core coverage as much as possible, and looking at the specs, seems I could go with either (3) - 200W or (2) x 300W units, and get roughly the same coverage - you see any advantage going one scenario vs. the other?

Your adoring brother in LED's,

Jozo-Sha
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Steve will say to go w/ 3 of the 200's or 3 of the 300's for the multipoint sources. More small ones is better w/ LED.....36" is pretty wide for a 200. For money reasons, start w/ 2 300's and add a 3rd later.

Fast, Cheap or Good.....pick two

Post Thanks / Like

DS200 3ft x 3.5ft 2.5ft x 3ft (100) 3w High Output LEDs (single chip) 185w
    DS300 3.5ft x 4ft 3ft x 3ft (150) 3w High Output LEDs (single chip) 275w

So you pretty much know you should go with DS300's as they can actually cover your 36in depth. Solved.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, the 200's core is 2.5' x 3' (30" x 36"), so 3 x 200's set in my tent:

[] [] [] = would cover 30" x 3' = 90" by 36" right?

then 2 x 300's with their core of 3' x 3'

[] [] = would cover 36" by (2 x 36") 72" right?

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

3 DS200's = 76 watts per sq ft = $1635
    2 DS300's = 91.6 watts per sq ft = $1590

However I believe that the third effect that Steve speaks of so often would make the coverage areas a little better.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is another option for the Forum members for $599 - the G8-340
    340 Watt LED Grow Light | Replace 600 Watt MH/HPS System by G8LED | Dorm Grow
    Core coverage is 42" x 42" , so it will more than adequately cover a 3'x3' grow area.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DormGrow.com View Post
    Here is another option for the Forum members for $599 - the G8-340
    340 Watt LED Grow Light | Replace 600 Watt MH/HPS System by G8LED | Dorm Grow
    Core coverage is 42" x 42" , so it will more than adequately cover a 3'x3' grow area.
    A couple of questions for you on this.
    1) Do you really believe that less than 22 watts per square foot can grow dense buds?

2) How does a 16 x 9 led rectangular panel produce a 3.5' x 3.5' square footprint without the use of optical modifiers? I could be wrong, but I have yet to see a led manufactured with a non-lambertain pattern other than side emitters and secondary optics.
    Last edited by Hosebomber; 01-27-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: edit to correct amount of actual power draw as next poster pointed out.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast