Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stevehman's LED buyer's guide

Hey Steve I have a 2' x 4' x 5' tent and I was considering purchasing some Advanced led's. I grow outdoor so I only use my tent during the off season. I would only be growing 6-8 plants with no veg time in 2L's or small square containers so I don't even think that would be close to using up the whole tent. My question is would you go for 2 100w diamond units or 1 200w? I just thought maybe the 2 100w's would give a little bit better footprint and if one fails I would still have the other. It is only about $50 more for the 2 100w's so whats your opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned4daze61 View Post
    Hey Steve I have a 2' x 4' x 5' tent and I was considering purchasing some Advanced led's. I grow outdoor so I only use my tent during the off season. I would only be growing 6-8 plants with no veg time in 2L's or small square containers so I don't even think that would be close to using up the whole tent. My question is would you go for 2 100w diamond units or 1 200w? I just thought maybe the 2 100w's would give a little bit better footprint and if one fails I would still have the other. It is only about $50 more for the 2 100w's so whats your opinion?
    I like to use a 200 for each 2x2 square, the 100 will work but is only giving you 25w per sqft, the 200s are 50w per sqft. My sweet spot is 40. Also the 200 is a little wider helping spread out the light. If you can't afford to pick up two, get one initially and then another once funds are available.

An alternative if you are going to do a perpetual harvest, put a 100 on one side and a 200 on the other and move the plants from the 100 side to the 200 side as they mature, just pushing them down the assembly line.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you that is very helpful. I think I will get a DS100 and pair it with my 150HPS until I can afford another, then I can decide on another DS100 and drop the 150HPS in the middle of the two DS100's or get a DS200 and use the assembly line as they mature

I saw your specs and the 100 is only 0.5" shorter and 3" thinner, while the coverage is 1.5' x 2.5'.

Compared to the 200 which has a coverage of 2' x 3'

Wouldn't spacing two 100's closely give you a larger footprint using the third light effect?

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My tent is 22.5" x 51.5" x 48.5" and I'm using 2 x 200's. Kyle at Advanced said I could get by with 2 x 100's, but recommended the 200's for a better core coverage on my footprint. Seeing how yours is roughly the same dimension, if you're strapped on cash, I'd opt for the 2 x 100's.

- JZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jozo-sha View Post
    My tent is 22.5" x 51.5" x 48.5" and I'm using 2 x 200's. Kyle at Advanced said I could get by with 2 x 100's, but recommended the 200's for a better core coverage on my footprint. Seeing how yours is roughly the same dimension, if you're strapped on cash, I'd opt for the 2 x 100's.

- JZ
    That really helps

Maybe I should send kyle an E-mail, I've seen a few people say he is really friendly and I guess it would be better then bugging you guys

I am strapped on cash, but I'm working on improving and refining my grow techniques so I want to be sure that new equipment is an "improvement" and not a waste of money. I definitely don't want to be questioning my equipment if anything unplanned happens.

Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it

Post Thanks / Like

how many watts does the 300w quantam led from grow stealth put out?? on the website it says it matches a 600wt hps.. also how many sq ft can i get with this light in flowering???

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monsterkilla View Post
    how many watts does the 300w quantam led from grow stealth put out?? on the website it says it matches a 600wt hps.. also how many sq ft can i get with this light in flowering???
    Well, having never grown under anything but LEDs, I can't speculate on how the GS300 does against a 600W hps, but it did do this in a quicky trial run:

Pretty much all the proof I needed.

- JZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If the manufacturer/seller can't tell you how many watts it consumes, don't buy it. Watts consumed will be less than the "size" of the light.... Take the watts consumed and divide by 40 to get an idea of sq ft coverage.
    Fast, Cheap or Good.....pick two

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OG13 View Post
    If the manufacturer/seller can't tell you how many watts it consumes, don't buy it. Watts consumed will be less than the "size" of the light.... Take the watts consumed and divide by 40 to get an idea of sq ft coverage.
    Directly from Donnie's website page for the GS300:

LED Qty: 144
    LED Type: 3W Single Chip
    LED Wattage: 432 (144 x 3)
    Actual Power Draw: 240 Watts
    Amperage Draw: 2.2A @ 110V, 1.1A @ 220V
    Lifespan: 50,000 - 100,000 hours
    Spectrum: 5-band 420-490nm, 510-540nm, 620-690nm
    Dimensions: 17.5" x 11" x 3"
    Coverage Area: 2.25' x 3.25'

So you see monsterkilla, if you actually go to the websites of the sponsors, and read, you can find the information you requested. Also, I'd just call Donnie if you want direct answers - he's a straight shooter just like Kyle for Advanced. Sorry if this comes across as a bit harsh, but I'm tired of doing research for everyone else; I do enough of that shit at work as it is.

- JZ
    CascadianDank liked this post

420 Member of the Month October 2010 & September 2017 TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Look for the guy that's had a bad headache since 1989 - that's me.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think I will get a DS100 and pair it with my 150HPS
    I'd be interested in seeing how the DS100 performs in comparison to a 150-watt HPS. The 150-watt fixture costs, what? Around $68?
    Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil

HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see. -Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light

If you ever loved anything in your life, try to remember it. If you ever betrayed anything, pretend for a moment that you have been forgiven. If you ever feared anything, pretend for an instant that those days are gone and will never return. Buy the lie and hold to it for as long as you can. Press your familiar, whatever its name, to your breast and stroke it till it purrs. -Roger Zelazny, Creatures of Light and Darkness

If Nero was alive today, and a United States citizen, he'd be fiddling like mad. -Tortured Soul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TorturedSoul View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing how the DS100 performs in comparison to a 150-watt HPS. The 150-watt fixture costs, what? Around $68?
    I may be willing to do a comparison grow somewhere down the line. If I ever do I will pm you the link

Pretty much, I believe I found mine for $66 but it came out to about $70 w/shipping. I haven't flowered with it yet but Vegging is a slow go, I think the LED will be a huge improvement in that area. It gets pretty hot, enough that I know if I get any larger HPS it must be air cooled. I have a fan blowing across the bulb and ballast and all times and it keeps temps decent.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I may be willing to do a comparison grow somewhere down the line. If I ever do I will pm you the link

Pretty much, I believe I found mine for $66 but it came out to about $70 w/shipping. I haven't flowered with it yet but Vegging is a slow go, I think the LED will be a huge improvement in that area. It gets pretty hot, enough that I know if I get any larger HPS it must be air cooled. I have a fan blowing across the bulb and ballast and all times and it keeps temps decent.
    That will always be the case with any incandescent fixture. They're not as efficient at converting electrical power to light energy. Much is wasted in the conversion and emitted as infrared (or as you call it, heat). LED's are much more efficient at this conversion, hence less is lost as heat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jozo-sha View Post
    That will always be the case with any incandescent fixture. They're not as efficient at converting electrical power to light energy. Much is wasted in the conversion and emitted as infrared (or as you call it, heat). LED's are much more efficient at this conversion, hence less is lost as heat.
    Thanks for breaking that down. That is why I like the idea of LED's. Less power, Less heat, while still achieving the same if not better results! Goldbud's and Stevehman's journals really persuaded me on advanced LED's. I was amazed to see Steve getting over a gram per watt, and Goldbud harvested 250 grams in a 4' x 4' area using 4x DS100's.

420 Member of the Month October 2010 & September 2017 TorturedSoul's Avatar
    Look for the guy that's had a bad headache since 1989 - that's me.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not to mention that smaller/cheaper HID fixtures tend to have C&C ballasts - and have them located inside the fixture. So it produces a lot of heat and does so directly in the GR instead of next door. The power factor on it is probably low, too (if you plug it into a Kill-O-Watt type device, the HPS will probably make it "think" that the light is using twice the electricity that it does, lol). That can be modified but I cannot remember how to do it. Install a capacitor, but I don't remember what rating cap (50-55 microfarad?) you'd need for that application or where it goes. IIRC, it goes between the line and common wires, but I wouldn't trust my memory (I certainly don't). More important is to remote the ballast to get it out of your GR. The low PF would only likely be adding heat if your circuit is pretty loaded and then it'd be in the form of wires getting hot, lol.
    Jozo-sha liked this post

Respectfully,
    Tortured Soul
    Apathy is evil

HELP by visiting our sponsors
    PARTICIPATE by reading, learning, & teaching in our forums
    DECIDE by voting in our contests

Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see. -Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light

If you ever loved anything in your life, try to remember it. If you ever betrayed anything, pretend for a moment that you have been forgiven. If you ever feared anything, pretend for an instant that those days are gone and will never return. Buy the lie and hold to it for as long as you can. Press your familiar, whatever its name, to your breast and stroke it till it purrs. -Roger Zelazny, Creatures of Light and Darkness

If Nero was alive today, and a United States citizen, he'd be fiddling like mad. -Tortured Soul

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Steve, Awesome, awesome forum. Lot's of transparency around here.

I just registered by I've been lurking for months. I've done so much research I'm spent. I was even considering trying to find manufacturers in China and ordering direct just to not deal with the horror stories of these business owners.

After almost going with the Magnum Plus, I found Advanced and really dug deep. NO HORROR STORIES....

Since you seem to have a good relationship with them and have done tests, I wanted to ask you a question.

I searched and searched the forum and didn't really see the question asked, and I trust your opinion so I'll ask.....
    By opinion only....what do you prefer?

The Extreme line or the Diamond line? I'm not asking which you think is better, but what do you prefer?

I'm growing in 2x3 foot tents (scrogs) and know I want to stick around the 360w Extreme line or possibly the 400w Diamond line. Based off of what you've handled, which do you like more?

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast