Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stevehman's LED buyer's guide

Every article i found says 706nm as peak - it can use wavelengths around 720, but the peak is more important.

Rest is from one of the lamp's brochure im thinking of buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosebomber View Post
    I believe I mentioned it before in this thread and definitively within this forum, that you are not very likely to get the information you are asking for from anyone. Those of us that have actually done research and testing have put in hundreds to thousands of hours and tens of thousands of dollars (at least in my case) trying to figure out those questions.
    Wow... we're lucky the scientists discovering chlorophyll did not think that way!

Member of the Month Winner - October 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

Invi, If Hose says something on this topic of LED's and research, you can pretty much take it as Gospel. Dude has an insane education and background. Trust that over someone trying to SELL you stuff.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

First and foremost, those are the peaks that I listed. By no means am I the end all be all to LED knowledge. I encourage all people to look and find the information themselves. Just be careful where you get your information.

Quote Originally Posted by invi View Post
    Rest is from one of the lamp's brochure im thinking of buying.
    Wow... we're lucky the scientists discovering chlorophyll did not think that way!
    Actually they do think that way. Grad students and researchers get paid to find this information and release it in peer reviewed journals. They do not release any of their information until their studies are 100% complete. If they start releasing the information before they prove everything then someone else will release the peer reviewed article, get the credit, and get the next block of funding to do bigger and better studies.

However, I wasn't referring to the release of information on wavelengths. I was referring to the release of information regarding what ratios of what spectra to use in a production grow light. This is considered intellectual property. This is what makes Advanced lights better than some base Chinese mass producer. Same goes for the lens angles.

If you would like I'll give you a fast excel reference of 50 or so peak wavelengths of different photo receptors... that information is easy to find. If you look through this forum (or my post) I have linked at least 30 peer reviewed articles on photo-receptors and wavelength interactions to back up those peak wavelengths.

A link to that brochure would be nice tho
    invi liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, that quoted sentence rang a wrong bell for me.
    I'd be happy to send you the brochure (it's in PDF and im not allowed to post a link to their web since they are no sponsors). Also they have other statements that would be nice to check.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having an issue with some seedlings and wondering if my LED might be the problem. At first I thought it was the nutes, ie over doing it, but it has happened again and this time they were still in starter cubes fed with dechlorinated tap water. I cant post photos at this time, but it looks like nutes burn with white spots. I first noticed browned tips on one NL seedlings when my DS200 was placed about 18 inches above the new sprouts. I backed the light off to about 36 after that but all but 2 out of 6 seedlings are showing the same sypmtoms. The first one is now pretty much done. Once I saw the others show signs I backed the light off another 12" or so. So I guess my question is this, has anyone seen burn from the DS series and what does it look like? I can relocate this to a separate thread, but wanted to put it out to our LED gurus first. I will try to get some photos up soon.

The 51st State...The Great State of SUPERIOR
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DudeHere View Post
    I'm having an issue with some seedlings and wondering if my LED might be the problem. At first I thought it was the nutes, ie over doing it, but it has happened again and this time they were still in starter cubes fed with dechlorinated tap water. I cant post photos at this time, but it looks like nutes burn with white spots. I first noticed browned tips on one NL seedlings when my DS200 was placed about 18 inches above the new sprouts. I backed the light off to about 36 after that but all but 2 out of 6 seedlings are showing the same sypmtoms. The first one is now pretty much done. Once I saw the others show signs I backed the light off another 12" or so. So I guess my question is this, has anyone seen burn from the DS series and what does it look like? I can relocate this to a separate thread, but wanted to put it out to our LED gurus first. I will try to get some photos up soon.
    First off i`m the furthest thing there is from an LED guru. I`ve just completed my first indoor grow. I started off with 1 Advanced Diamond Series 300. Had 7 seedlings under it. When they started to get any size to them I realized the 1 LED wasn`t getting enough coverage. Had to dig real deep into my pockets and find the funds for another light. Ordered it,installed it and jumped back. These damn things are REALLY bright. after determining sex I ended up with 2 young ladies. Started off with the light 30"-32" above the ladies. After the second light was installed, gradually moved the lights down to 16"-18" above them. IMHO you gave your ladies nutes way too soon. My girls didn`t get any nutes until they had 4 or 5 sets of leaves, then only 1/4 strength. I harvested 5ozs from 1 and 6 ozs from #2 of dried and cured meds. I don`t think I will grow outside again. Especially after my investment in the LEDS. I did alot of research into the various companies and decided the Advanced LEDS were on the top of the heap. I definitely believe in LEDS.

Member of the Month Winner - October 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

Yooper is coming in there with good and important advice imo Dudehere. No nutes till 4 or 5 SETS of leaves. Not to be confused with 4 or 5 leaves. And don't count those two little round leaves from the sprout.

It's also a great idea to be nice and high above such young plants with a good led unit. Let them get a bit stronger and start lowering it. Their infants.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, great advice but I've given no nutes yet. All sprouts have 4 to 6 sets of leaves. Just wondering if it could be the light. Thanks for the responses guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, great advice but I've given no nutes yet. All sprouts have 4 to 6 sets of leaves. Just wondering if it could be the light. Thanks for the responses guys.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If it is light burn the leaves will turn white first (bleaching) and then die and turn brown from the tips inward. You might want to check your tap water for other chemicals also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hosebomber View Post
    If it is light burn the leaves will turn white first (bleaching) and then die and turn brown from the tips inward. You might want to check your tap water for other chemicals also.
    That sounds like what I'm getting. Tap water is at 120 to 140 ppm. Dechorinated w/Dechlor from the pet shop. Funny thing is one of the sprouts is looking dynamite.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so 2 days after moving the light, I think we might be ok. Everybody seems to be bouncing back and new growth looks pristine. Once I can post photos, I'll start a journal on this grow.
    SteveHman, grayj213 liked this post

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two lights hung over an area that is 2.5' x 2' ... One is the Advanced LED Extreme Flower 120, the other is a DS100 ... I've had both about a month. The Extreme Flower was purchased gently used on Ebay. This works out to about 35-40 watts per sq foot. Should be about right. I purchased this combo so that I could use them in two separate spaces on single plants in the future. After reading thru most of the LED grow journals here and at other sites I still have close to zero understanding of how high to place the lights. The first week I put the lights in the plants tripled in size but they needed to so I wasn't surprised. Currently the autos are flowering well but not adding height, except bud size. The one NL photo plant is not growing taller, but it's healthy. Perhaps the lights were changed to LEDs too late in the grow to get the full effect but some of my questions would be ....

1. How would an LED work on plants 2 feet tall with normal branching and not a solid canopy ?

2. In such a situation, how high above the canopy would lights be placed ?

3. Is there a rule of thumb such as start w/ the lights 30" above the tallest branch, then reduce height daily till bleaching occurs and then raise a couple inches ?

4. The whole core area / footprint thing is more confusing that it needs to be. At what height is the footprint/core calculated and is that a proper height to hang the lights. I saw some site recomended hanging the lights 2 meters above the canopy ... sounded ridiculous to me but what do I know ... damned little when it comes to LEDs ...

Just as important as a buyers guide would be a users manual ... Since the lights are not cheap, I think the industry as a whole, would benefit from people knowing how to use the equipment once it's purchased ... like the two spectrum switch on the DS100 ...

I may replace these 2 lights w/ one larger one and move these to cover other areas. I'm kind of impressed w/ DormGrows willingness to provide input here on the forum and may try one of their lights next. I know their instruction manual can't be any worse than Advanced's because I'm pretty much in the dark on both these lights and I've read more than a dozen LED grow manuals ...

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Whit the DS lights you want to keep them around 18-20" from the tops. The extreme flowers should be ok around the 12-16" range. The "core coverage" area for the advance products is listed at 18" from the canopy. The older lights do not have a secondary lens and do not get as much penetration.

1 & 2) You should be fine with the DS at ~18" from the tops and the lower popcorn buds will do fine.

3) That is how most people dial in their system. It's not really a rule of thumb but no manufacturing process is 100% accurate and there is variations in the products. That will give you the best results for YOUR system.

4) Coverage and Core Coverage are used as a way to tell how much of the LED panel are covering the area. Core coverage means that 75% of all of the LED's lights are blending in those areas. The higher you raise the light the more "core" area is being covered. If the company is saying 2 meters, that means they have very narrow lenses on their lights and to cover the area with 75% of the led's in that panel you need to have the light 6' away... this is a bad idea and most likely a poor quality light.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunch Hosebomber ... your post was very enlightening ... I guess that too close you not only run the risk of Bleaching, but also of getting an inefficient mix of the spectrums ....very good information. Would an LED have to be placed 20"-30" or more above the plant to cause stretching or is stretching eliminated w/ LEDs ?

First photo is plant before 2 weeks of LED light (18/6) ... all other photos were taken today ... kind of hard to imagine, but it's an autoflower and was due to flower and have it's week four growth spurt ...

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast