Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stevehman's LED buyer's guide

Anyone that's familiar w/ the Extreme Flower 120 ... I'd love to hear your input re. this light's use and limitations for growing herb ... Since I paired it w/ a Diamond Series LED it's hard to know if it's pulling it's weight ... thanks ...

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Check out some of the OP's earlier grows, he used only extreme flower led's until they came out with the DS series. He had great results. As for causing stretching... Having less intense light than what the plant wants will cause that and it is no different with LED's. Anything above 24" (from memory here but Steve had a good chart in his height test grow) or so will start to cause stretching. I do not recall if this was from the DS series or not though.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I gotta say; I love LEDs ... the reduction in heat is tremendous, plants love them, lower energy costs ... what's not to love ?

A couple questions I have re. LEDs ...

1. Will LED light fade carpet ?

2. Will LED light power a small solar panel ?

Hosebomber, I'd like to say thanks once again for explaining the concept of height v. blend ... looking at things a whole lot different now and my plants are happier for it.

Nug of the Month Winner - March 2013 Member of the Month Winner - November 2013 Nug of the Month - December 2014 Buckshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hosebomber View Post
    Check out some of the OP's earlier grows, he used only extreme flower led's until they came out with the DS series. He had great results. As for causing stretching... Having less intense light than what the plant wants will cause that and it is no different with LED's. Anything above 24" (from memory here but Steve had a good chart in his height test grow) or so will start to cause stretching. I do not recall if this was from the DS series or not though.
    I am growing some seedlings in my flowering room to flower fast for a male. I am on my second run like this. The seelings are 3-4 FEET from the lights ... as far as I can get them away. In the veg room I have about 30" clearance but a less intense light

high 420kwats, Smoke2Js liked this post

My journal

Evolving feeding routine

Come on folks let's see some eye candy! Here's some for ya...100,000 plus views!!! Thanks 420 Folks!!!

Buckshot's glass misadventures

"Why use up the forests which were centuries in the making and the mines which required ages to lay down, if we can get the equivalent of forest and mineral products in the annual growth of the hemp fields?" - Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone on this site use lumigrow?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all first post. I really want to go the LED route since it just makes more sense, but I want to know my investment will pay off. The very wild range of prices for LED's is what bothers me. Lights from say Gro Stealth LED and Advanced LED seem to be in the same ballpark price-wise for a 3W 300W LED. Gro Stealth's is $749 for their Pro-Bloom addition and Advanced is $795. Steep prices considering I was going to follow SteveHman's advice and get 2 to put side-by-side. Then I went to Dorm Grow and saw they had a 3W 450W LED for $600 and that you can buy 2 for $580!! Also comes with a 3 years warranty with a raw power draw of 340W. Why such a change in prices? How can the previous two companies charge so much more for less power? Has anyone had success with Dorm Grow or does this seem like a marketing trick? Because at least I know Advanced has a very good reputation for making quality lights. I also saw a light recommended from an article about LED's called the Pro Grow 400 from Hydroponics Hut which I'm assuming is a 400W light. I do have a problem with this light though as there is a lack of pictures and information...not a good sign. But again for a 400W LED, they're charging $560. I can get two without it putting a hole in my pocket instead of spending almost $1,600 on 2 Advanced LED lights (even though I want it the most).

Why is there such a gap in pricing especially for lights that are supposed to be stronger? Is it that the better, more recognized companies have their name & reputation to bank on so they charge more? Or are lesser known companies simply trying to sell products and compete in the market?

Also, if I do go with Advanced LED, I'm leaning more and more to simply buying a 600W light which has an average power draw of 557W which is more than their 2 300W combined power draws (548W I believe) and I'd also be saving about $200. I'll be growing in a Secret Jardin DR120 tent which will be 4x4x6 and since I'll be using the SCROG method I can easily trim by screen to fit the coverage of the LED. Is this the wise way to go? I really want an Advanced LED light since people have at least gotten good grows with their product, I just want to make sure I'm not wasting $1,400.

Member of the Month Winner - October 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

Heya Vanilla, welcome to 420mag.

Let me qualify my statements by saying this is my personal opinion only. Though it is based on using the Grow Stealth LED 600w Pro-Bloom in the same tent you have, the secret jardin dr120.

In my opinion, if you are going to stay short with your plants, 2 of the 300w pro-blooms will do fine. If you're going tall in your scrog at all I would go with the 600w pro blooms to get the most penetration possible and bigger foot print with a really nice 3rd off effect. But that also doubles the price basically.

The problem I have with some of these manufacturers is they so often don't tell the whole story. And buyer beware if they don't ask.

So why is it one company, advertising a 450w (340w draw) is made in the same exact box (measurements) and draws 100 more watts? Are they over driving the led diodes to a point of over heating? Do they tell you how many led's are in this same box? If it's 144 of them like Grow Stealth, how is it they can claim coverage area 70% larger than the other? These are very important questions imho.

I can say for sure that based on my experience the pro bloom 600w just covers the advertised area at a reasonable height above canopy for good light intensity, but the outer edges will naturally have a bit less intensity. Based on my experience also, I would say the 600w pro bloom would not fully cover a 4x4 (which they don't advertise it as doing) area unless the plants were being kept pretty squat and you would lose a little intensity raising it high to cover the area. However, with two of them they would do a helluva good job. But they probably wouldnt cover a 5x5 right because lengthwise you couldnt get the 3rd off effect obviously and they are advertised for 4' lengthwise. But width would be awesome.

I also have to say the customer service and backing up of their product is awesome with Grow Stealth LED. I had a unit take a dump on me, two panels went out. As I returned the unit and gave them the tracking number, a replacement was shipped out to me before they even got it. Less down time. And shit happens, so I am not going to cry when a ballast takes a dump, so long as they back up the product. The replacement unit I got was made by a new vendor according to GS. I tested the wattage pull and it was way down from what it was supposed to be. I let them know, they ran some tests and saw the same issue in house. Apparently the vendor screwed the pooch and put the wrong ballasts in and GS had not realized this yet. So the immediately got me new ballasts and shipped them off to me. When I replaced them they drew MORE watts and not so much that is was crazy, but 685w on the 600w pro bloom. Basically, I scored big time. When I let GS know, and even voiced a little concern, worrying about over amping the diodes higher than the heat sink was intended for, the response was basically "enjoy it, it's under warranty anyways". That grow gave me the best buds. Solid big thick buds to no end.

The only reason I am not using the 600w pro bloom unit in my grow now is because my style of grow is too tall for proper penetration and if I got shorter and fatter, (which I basically am, but still taller than most scrogs), I would have to buy 2 more units (3 total) set triangularly to cover my new 5'x5' tent with the intensity I want. Unfortunately for me the $$ just wasn't in the cards, or I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Anyways, I hope these ramblings help you. Customer service and quality are very important to me. And I'm willing to pay a bit more for such.

Post Thanks / Like

Bassman, when you say stay short (with the scrog) what maximum height would you allow your plants to grow? No more than 3 feet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaLED View Post
    Bassman, when you say stay short (with the scrog) what maximum height would you allow your plants to grow? No more than 3 feet?
    Much shorter with LED. Let's not forget, we're also running these lights 14-20" above the plant, and we want good light intensity through say 3/4's of the plant at least. So for a 24" tall plant, that's 18". Imho, 24" is about right for good led's.

At 3 feet tall, plus the 14+ odd inches above the plant, the lower buds just are not going to be getting much light intensity. And lollipopping the plant to have all bud growth at the top and 3 feet tall is just a waste of growth time getting that tall. Short and bushy is really good for led imo.

That doesnt mean short and thin (hempy or aero-flo) isn't a good idea. In fact it works well for led also. But that means many more plants in a given area also and some people have more stringent plant number limitations. Like in Nevada where a MMJ cardholder is allowed 4 plants in flower only. For many of these type people 4 plants per 8 weeks flower time in aero flo or hempy just wont give them their 8 weeks worth of meds. But don't let me get off on that tangent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman59 View Post
    Much shorter with LED. Let's not forget, we're also running these lights 14-20" above the plant, and we want good light intensity through say 3/4's of the plant at least. So for a 24" tall plant, that's 18". Imho, 24" is about right for good led's.

At 3 feet tall, plus the 14+ odd inches above the plant, the lower buds just are not going to be getting much light intensity. And lollipopping the plant to have all bud growth at the top and 3 feet tall is just a waste of growth time getting that tall. Short and bushy is really good for led imo.

That doesnt mean short and thin (hempy or aero-flo) isn't a good idea. In fact it works well for led also. But that means many more plants in a given area also and some people have more stringent plant number limitations. Like in Nevada where a MMJ cardholder is allowed 4 plants in flower only. For many of these type people 4 plants per 8 weeks flower time in aero flo or hempy just wont give them their 8 weeks worth of meds. But don't let me get off on that tangent.
    2 ft. is not bad at all. You could get some really fat colas above the net. I'm planning on using Supernatural brand nutes too. Gro Terra, Bloom Terra, Superlicious, etc. Supernatural has a product that creates CO2 as well called Excellofizz that I want to try out where all you need to do is add water. With powerful LEDs, good nutes, daily Co2, and the scrog method...I think I can get a good yield from 2 Vanilla Kush plants!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Might also want to check out Blue Planet Nutrients. A sponsor here and the owner is VERY active on these forums giving support and education in growing our plants. Really priced right too. I love them and have had great results. Blue Planet Nutrients
    Smoke2Js liked this post

Defoliation Hi-yield advanced growing technique

Present Journal: Greensun LED Holy Grail Kush RDWC CURRENT

Kosher Kush RDWC, Grow #7 COMPLETED
    Master Kush & Martian Kush, Grow 6 COMPLETED
    Newest Master Kush Grow Completed
    Grow #4, Kosher Kush Completed
    Master Kush Hi defoliation RDWC LED Completed
    Grow #2 AK48 clonesCompleted

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to decide on a third LED light, I have two Advanced LEDs. My closet space is 2'x6'x8' of which I use 1/2 for plants. The light I want has a 3' x 3' core which is what prompts my question; Is it a waste to have a light that has core coverage larger than my space, in this instance 50% wider than I need. I can easily go a little longer in my space but my width is restricted by walls. Assuming I get another light I would use the two lights I currently have somewhere else.

I want to increase my watts/ square foot .... Would I be better off getting a smaller light and using that along w/ my others to get a light that fits the width better ?

Post Thanks / Like

If it fits in the space and you use reflective walls, you won't be wasting light with the light having a larger core coverage. You will increase yield. Not such a bad thing right?

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman59 View Post
    If it fits in the space and you use reflective walls, you won't be wasting light with the light having a larger core coverage. You will increase yield. Not such a bad thing right?

That was my initial thought but then I read that Reflected LED light was very weak compared to direct LED light ... Would you recomend Mylar or Diamond surfaced Mylar for the walls ?

Post Thanks / Like

Any reflection is more.

Personally I don't have any experience with them since I use a tent with reflective walls and have panda film for anything else. But I would think diamond mylar has much less chance of hotspots. Though with led I wouldnt think that be an issue either.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast