Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

I agree with Milli C, I think the new LED's units coming out these days are great, and are the way to go for smaller areas especially. I ended up going with Advanced Diamond Series DS-200 x 2, and now want to go entirely LED for veggin too. Just have to recover a bit from dishin out the doe for the DS-200's. I happy with them though. The Advanced Blue Veg lights are looking good, and are lower in cost than the DS's. But also thought about going with some even cheaper lights of veg, I'm still on the fence about it.
    Jozo-sha liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

hello Steve & thanks for the great information on LEDs. I'm at a crossroads here, i plan on purchasing a new grow tent either a 3x3 or 4x4 and i want to do a sog. im thinking a 4x4 so i could have a little wiggle room in the tent. So my question is ( Advanced is who ill be ordering from) would you use one single 300- 400 watt light or will two 180-240 watt units do the job for a 4x4 tent but im using only a 3x3 area for the 2l hempy sog? Ive read your buyer's guide and a few sog green journals but i cant seem to find a journal using leds and the sog method...i dont want bushes/trees..lol just a 4x4 tent or even a 3x3 full of sog colas!.. Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks Caneye.

Member of the Month Winner - October 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve hasn't been around in a while Caney. With that said, my thoughts lean towards more units rather than 1 bigger. I have a 685w Grow Stealth LED and I would have covered better area with 2x 300's instead.
    CaneyeBus, Jozo-sha liked this post

Defoliation Hi-yield advanced growing technique

Present Journal: Greensun LED Holy Grail Kush RDWC CURRENT

Kosher Kush RDWC, Grow #7 COMPLETED
    Master Kush & Martian Kush, Grow 6 COMPLETED
    Newest Master Kush Grow Completed
    Grow #4, Kosher Kush Completed
    Master Kush Hi defoliation RDWC LED Completed
    Grow #2 AK48 clonesCompleted

Post Thanks / Like

Bassman, Thank you!

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Bassman , i see in you current grow you went with the 1k hps. May I ask why u ditched the LED?

Member of the Month Winner - October 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaneyeBus View Post
    Bassman , i see in you current grow you went with the 1k hps. May I ask why u ditched the LED?
    Yes, of course. Because of the style of my growing. Our state MMJ laws limit us to 4 in flower, 3 in veg (weird huh). As such, I have to grow larger plants to get more yield. Thus the square footage of the plants is such that the one lamp while it's 685 watts actual draw, isn't the right size to properly cover the area needed. It has nothing to do with the light not producing. It's me not serving it justice.
    The 1k HPS in a big ass raptor hood barely covers the square footage I need for my four plants.

It's purely a style type thing. One thing that's kinda a drag is sometimes the shape of the lights just doesn't fit the grow area properly. In a 4x8 tent for example, most all of the rectangular led's don't cover a core of 4' wide. Thus you couldnt string like 3-4 lights perpendicular because you still wouldnt be getting out the the 4 foot mark. So if you're growing that big of a plants you have to over saturate with more lights. Pretty expensive if you ask me. I just couldn't afford to do that all at once.

I may be plugging her back in though for a bit smaller area grow.
    jon705, Jozo-sha, yooper rex liked this post

Defoliation Hi-yield advanced growing technique

Present Journal: Greensun LED Holy Grail Kush RDWC CURRENT

Kosher Kush RDWC, Grow #7 COMPLETED
    Master Kush & Martian Kush, Grow 6 COMPLETED
    Newest Master Kush Grow Completed
    Grow #4, Kosher Kush Completed
    Master Kush Hi defoliation RDWC LED Completed
    Grow #2 AK48 clonesCompleted

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the exellent insight on what LED light to buy. The tip on looking at rated power consumption versus rated LED bulb power is very useful on what light I purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass, ahhhh gotcha... totally understandable.

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like

Disregard earlier post I made I was looking at a few models and mixed up the lumigrow with another panel that uses 336 3w led's with the es 325.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been doing a lot of research and I'm trying to figure out if anyone knows the comparison of two ds300s compared to two ds400s. I'm planning on growing in a 4x4 tent. I'm thinking the dr120. I'm just trying to figure out if its worth the extra to step up to the 400s in a 4x4 or if its just over kill. Any suggestions would be excellent. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks guys. And thanks Steve for all the great posts and logs. Don't know if your around, but hopefully, because of your posts and this forum I can have success and gain some experience. Very excited to join the community.
    Stoned4daze61 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inbloom443 View Post
    I've been doing a lot of research and I'm trying to figure out if anyone knows the comparison of two ds300s compared to two ds400s. I'm planning on growing in a 4x4 tent. I'm thinking the dr120. I'm just trying to figure out if its worth the extra to step up to the 400s in a 4x4 or if its just over kill. Any suggestions would be excellent. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks guys. And thanks Steve for all the great posts and logs. Don't know if your around, but hopefully, because of your posts and this forum I can have success and gain some experience. Very excited to join the community.
    Don't have any personal experience with LED's but when I spoke with Steve he preferred more smaller wattage units then less higher wattage units. I was following a grow by Goldbud where he used 4 of the Advanced DS100's in a 4'x4' tent, his first run with the lights he pulled over 1/2Lb of high quality buds from 12 plants, I was very impressed ! Here is a link to his journal if you'd like to take a look

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/jo...ts-2011-a.html
    Jozo-sha, yooper rex liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

2 advanced ds xml 150 is better than 1 ds xml 350 for a growing foot print of 3x3 (sog)? i will be ordering tomorrow and just wondering which is better. i know it has been said, it is preferred to have more smaller units over 1 larger unit when comparing. does this apply to the 3x3 foot print. which is only 9 sf . which if going by the calculations in this post i would need 360watt to get 40w per sf. hmmm so it would take 3 150's just to be certain.
    I havent seen many journals if any, using the new xml series. I spoke with Kyle and posed the same question. I was told the 350 itself would suffice for the footprint i am working with. guess i am trying tio reassure my ownself (lol) while writing this. i dont expect anyone to respond. it just looks better written down as i read over it again and again. I'm going to pull the trigger on the lights either way.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this is an old thread but I thought I chime in here to say that area 51 does not rebrand they're lights, they design they're own light and have them manufactured in china because its cheaper than having them built in the states.I have 4 of they're 600w units and I love them.the link to my journal is in my sig, I am curently running these 600"s against a couple of 1000w hps. Come over and see for yourself how

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman59 View Post
    Yes, of course. Because of the style of my growing. Our state MMJ laws limit us to 4 in flower, 3 in veg (weird huh). As such, I have to grow larger plants to get more yield. Thus the square footage of the plants is such that the one lamp while it's 685 watts actual draw, isn't the right size to properly cover the area needed. It has nothing to do with the light not producing. It's me not serving it justice.
    The 1k HPS in a big ass raptor hood barely covers the square footage I need for my four plants.

It's purely a style type thing. One thing that's kinda a drag is sometimes the shape of the lights just doesn't fit the grow area properly. In a 4x8 tent for example, most all of the rectangular led's don't cover a core of 4' wide. Thus you couldnt string like 3-4 lights perpendicular because you still wouldnt be getting out the the 4 foot mark. So if you're growing that big of a plants you have to over saturate with more lights. Pretty expensive if you ask me. I just couldn't afford to do that all at once.

I may be plugging her back in though for a bit smaller area grow.
    Hey Bass, come over and have a look at my grow when you get a chance, my lights have a core footprint of 52 x 52

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast