Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Stevehman's LED Buyer's Guide

Member of the Month Winner - October 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Panic,

I have a 4x4 tent. I live in the desert with household AC set to 78-79. I used a 8" 250 cfm duct fan from lowes as an exhaust for about $30 installed in upper 8"vent (I use 600w growstealth led). My room temps run between 81-90f depending on AC cycles, and room tent is in being fully closed or not. It doesnt hit 90 often. But I have found (still in veg) cracking side vents partially and room door open helps tons. I'm on 24/7 light in veg so I dont worry about light leak.

When I go 12/12 I have one more fan to add to move air in tent. I'll then more than likely totally close tent for light leaks and leave room door cracked (again, tent totally closed) for ambient circulation.

hopefully this gives you some ideas.
    SteveHman, panicattack liked this post

Defoliation Hi-yield advanced growing technique

Present Journal: Greensun LED Holy Grail Kush RDWC CURRENT

Kosher Kush RDWC, Grow #7 COMPLETED
    Master Kush & Martian Kush, Grow 6 COMPLETED
    Newest Master Kush Grow Completed
    Grow #4, Kosher Kush Completed
    Master Kush Hi defoliation RDWC LED Completed
    Grow #2 AK48 clonesCompleted

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHman View Post
    Don't worry about the heat, they stay very cool. They have large quiet fans and the guys at Advanced do what they can to keep the heat low (like not overdriving the chips).

I wouldn't go less than 600 watts light in that space. If you can swing pair of 300s you'll be good. I think the 200 is great for a 2x2 area (larger actually, but great for a 2x2), I base my recommendations off of that number. You could get by with a pair of 200s, and then buy two more after the first or second grow. They will pay for themselves quickly. Mention my journal and they should hook you up with free shipping. That will save a few bucks there.
    Thanks man, exactly the advise I was looking for.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman59 View Post
    Panic,

I have a 4x4 tent. I live in the desert with household AC set to 78-79. I used a 8" 250 cfm duct fan from lowes as an exhaust for about $30 installed in upper 8"vent (I use 600w growstealth led). My room temps run between 81-90f depending on AC cycles, and room tent is in being fully closed or not. It doesnt hit 90 often. But I have found (still in veg) cracking side vents partially and room door open helps tons. I'm on 24/7 light in veg so I dont worry about light leak.

When I go 12/12 I have one more fan to add to move air in tent. I'll then more than likely totally close tent for light leaks and leave room door cracked (again, tent totally closed) for ambient circulation.

hopefully this gives you some ideas.
    Bassman59, thanks buddy!

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHman View Post
    Don't worry about the heat, they stay very cool. They have large quiet fans and the guys at Advanced do what they can to keep the heat low (like not overdriving the chips).

I wouldn't go less than 600 watts light in that space. If you can swing pair of 300s you'll be good. I think the 200 is great for a 2x2 area (larger actually, but great for a 2x2), I base my recommendations off of that number. You could get by with a pair of 200s, and then buy two more after the first or second grow. They will pay for themselves quickly. Mention my journal and they should hook you up with free shipping. That will save a few bucks there.
    @SteveHman, I seem to remember you posting some specs/dimensions of the Diamond Series lights in a thread around here but I can't find it (I should have put them in my notes.) Their site has some specs but not as detailed as you posted if I'm remembering correctly. Unless it was all a dream! Would you mind re-upping that info if you have it? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by panicattack View Post
    @SteveHman, I seem to remember you posting some specs/dimensions of the Diamond Series lights in a thread around here but I can't find it (I should have put them in my notes.) Their site has some specs but not as detailed as you posted if I'm remembering correctly. Unless it was all a dream! Would you mind re-upping that info if you have it? Thanks!
    panic,
    here it is. I had to go search through Grow 4.0 to dig it up (post #356 on page 24, I cut/pasted so formatting didn't carry over):

100w Diamond Series -$279200w Diamond Series - $495300w Diamond Series - $695
    Coverage: 1.5' x 2.5' Coverage: 2' x 3' Coverage: 3' x 3'
    Dimensions: 18.5"L x 5"W x 3"H Dimensions: 19"L x 8"W x 3"H Dimensions: 19.5"L x 12"W x 3"H

400w Diamond Series -$895 600w Diamond Series - $1295 800w Diamond Series -$1595
    Coverage: 2' x 4' Coverage: 3' x 4' Coverage: 3' x 4'
    Dimensions: 35"L x 8"W x 3"H Dimensions: 35"L x 12"W x 3"H Dimensions: 36"Lx15"W x 3"H

These are the pre-launch prices. They will go up when they launch on their site. They sent and email to all of their existing customers and newsletter subscribers. These prices are actually lower than the Extreme Flower series. (at least they are until launch date).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stevehman's LED buyer's guide

they have launched, prices have changed. I have 1 300w diamond series they are really nice so nice i already ordered a second Kyle is great to work with. I got them based on Stevehmans grow journals. I have not even started a grow yet just getting things together and after tons of reading i think i made the right decision. Warning do not look into the lights!!!!!!!
    SteveHman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

grayj213,
    Welcome to 420. Make sure to make your way over to the introduce yourself thread.

You aren't kidding about these LEDs, do not look directly into them, in fact you may want to wear sunglasses while working in the tent with the lights on. The first few times I used them, my color vision was all messed up, saw a bunch of green. I am used to them now, I think your brain adapts to the color shift and does some on the fly white balance adjustments.

Best of luck on your grow and if you decide to journal it please send me a link!

Post Thanks / Like

i will, i have been reading like crazy as you can see this is my second post, there is so much info to digest its like school all over again. Never too old to learn. the grow journals are like gold. with all the info here i dont see how i can mess up.
    u guys are great.
    SteveHman, Bassman59 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I did the same thing, never grew until last year, but spent months researching and following journals before my first post, or popping my first seed. Reading is the key to being a successful grower. I know I have a lot to learn still and add to my knowledge base daily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grayj213 View Post
    i will, i have been reading like crazy as you can see this is my second post, there is so much info to digest its like school all over again. Never too old to learn. the grow journals are like gold. with all the info here i dont see how i can mess up.
    u guys are great.
    Welcome Gray!

I too have been reading tons and started reading a good month before I ever ordered my first part. I can't tell you how many countless hours and note taking were involved.

Yet it's still possible to screw up or just miss something.

My first screwup was too much water feed in my feed tubes on seedlings after germination on my dwc setup.

My 2nd screwup was water temps being too high.

My 3rd screwup was using straight RO water and no cal-mag because I believed information that was only partially correct.

And now I'm doing an emergency fix on a possible pythium/root rot problem.

Yet through it all, light has not been an issue. I use GrowStealth 600w LED (a sponsor here) and it seems to be doing it's job just fine. I feel confident that if you use either GrowStealth or Advanced for LED's, light wont be an issue.

So keep reading, take lots of notes, plaster charts on wall, and ask questions! No questions are dumb. This community is very willing to freely offer assistance.
    SteveHman, CascadianDank liked this post

Defoliation Hi-yield advanced growing technique

Present Journal: Greensun LED Holy Grail Kush RDWC CURRENT

Kosher Kush RDWC, Grow #7 COMPLETED
    Master Kush & Martian Kush, Grow 6 COMPLETED
    Newest Master Kush Grow Completed
    Grow #4, Kosher Kush Completed
    Master Kush Hi defoliation RDWC LED Completed
    Grow #2 AK48 clonesCompleted

The 51st State...The Great State of SUPERIOR
    Post Thanks / Like

SteveHman and the rest of the advice givers thanks for all the good words i'm gathering parts for my first indoor grow have done a couple outdoors turned out ok been reading lots since i joined had almost decided on the 300 diamond led you made up my mind thanks again this one finger typing sucks but i'm new at this and just learning computers so bear with me i'm old but learning every day
    SteveHman liked this post

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Let me start off by say, ALWAYS do you own research. I am a full believer of that.

Second, be wary of any "article" you read on the internet. My wife spent years as a writer for that site and a few others. While in most cases she picked topics that covered things she already knew about to write on, when work wasn't available in her area of expertise, she would write on subjects she had no prior knowledge of. Let me stress that this isn't the case 100% of the time but when you are going to be spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a product you want to get your information from people that know at least a little about the subject. This article looks like a cut and paste of the features pages from the producers websites. It also leaves out a couple of the better companies that are sponsors here. Now down to the grit and bones of the article itself.

Claims like: "These 3w bulbs are made in the USA and provide the best energy efficiency with 100% output."

Are 100% false. That company makes a great product, probably the best on the market today, but that comment is just false. No light is 100% efficient. Not even the sun... It is burning out. The lights we put in our grow room are there for light to grow our plants. If it uses more energy than light produced or creates any heat it is not 100% efficient.

Claims like: "The GrowSpot is literally a little LED spotlight, capable of covering a 4 square foot area with 12w producing 150w of light output."

Come on, we all know better than claims like this. This company is part of a cheap Chinese mass distributor network. There is nothing special about these lights and they are still using the same claims that turned many people off of LED's 5 years ago. You WILL NOT get 200% growth from 25% of the power. It is just not possible with the current tech. (and surely wasn't years ago)

As for the new release on the market mentioned by the article. Growl LED give no information on their lights at all. Very disheartening to see a company that doesn't give even a little information on their $2900 1k watt product. However, their claims that a 400W LED will replace a 800W HPS is pushing the envelope of what may be possible.
    Last edited by Be Irie; 10-10-2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: deleted quote
    SteveHman, Bassman59, janny, Be Irie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Hose.

That article is a terribly written piece of trash. If someone actually got paid to write that, freaking sign me up! There was obviously no true research done by anyone with any knowledge whatsoever of either growing or how light works with plants. I'm NOT qualified to write on the subject and could easily write a far better article. That one was written for suckers.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ya know, we've got an old saying, here in texas, "DON'T TRY TA BULLSHIT AN OLD BULLSHITER". I wonder why they don't try to have a grow-off....hmmmm......was it'replace a 250watter w/a 28watter....9 times as powerful....ahhh don't think so.
    Bassman59, Be Irie liked this post

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's why it's so important to use sponsors from the site. If they are a sponsor here, someone has done a grow with their product. Most likely, there has been a grow competition between that product and some of the other sponsors. As it stands right now (in my honest opinion), there is really only 3 companies out there making what I would consider a worthy LED grow light. Two of them are sponsors here and one has a good product but horrible business practices and ethics. This is just my opinion.

Let me be clear, I have not used any of these products as I make and test my own, but you can see the grow journals around the net and read the stories of super great customer service and really bad customer service. The article that was written was paid for. One of the light producers/manufacturers/re-sellers paid Bright-Hub to have an article written as a review. This is very common. It doesn't pay a great deal for the author, therefore it will not have a lot of in-depth reporting or research attached. It is generally a review of the claims made, a quick check around the internet to see what people say about the product, and reading a few reviews before a re-write of the cut and paste from the companies web-site. Sometimes there isn't any fact check at all. There will be anywhere from 1 to 20 people submitting their version of the article and the person that paid for it will pick their favorite.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast