Anyone know about these new LED lights

moemoe420

I seen a couple of LED lights at home depot and thinking about trying them out but not sure all about them. The daylight ones are 5000k but only put out 800 lumens not sure if that's too little lumens but the 5000k seems decent. I was going to use couple cfl's. Which would be better..ANY advise would HELP
2134631d-e687-4185-86c0-3c854ee176d3_300.jpg

HERES A LINK TO HOME DEPOT CHECK IT OUT
LED Light Bulbs - Light Bulbs -  The Home Depot

In my own country i've spotted some LED bulbs just like that but at 2700k not sure about lumens as lumen has very little to do with growing as it is a measuremnt of light visable to the humen eye only !

Those type of bulbs are reasonable new tec on the market... not sure how many people would of tryed them yet ?

Even tho most MH/metal halide bulbs used for veg are around 5000k.

Still be very tempted to go for cfl/T5 around the 6500k range for vegging tho :thumb:

MH bulbs are generally in 6100K - 6500K range for color temperature. There are some that are as high as 7200 and some as low as 4200, but in general they should be around 6000k.

These are what are called neutral white. They have a very large portion of green light as compared to MH or even HPS and very little in the blue/red ranges. They will work, just not as well. Growth wise, they are slightly below the output of a 23/26 watt CFL.

MH bulbs are generally in 6100K - 6500K range for color temperature. There are some that are as high as 7200 and some as low as 4200, but in general they should be around 6000k.

These are what are called neutral white. They have a very large portion of green light as compared to MH or even HPS and very little in the blue/red ranges. They will work, just not as well. Growth wise, they are slightly below the output of a 23/26 watt CFL.

I think a lot of people are completely mis informed as to the pricing of hps/mh ballasts and bulbs. 1000 watt ballast with 2 bulbs is available all day for under $100 shipped with both bulbs. Just can't understand why u would want to spend the time, money, and effert to grow plants that are just gonna be starved for light. I'm sorry but I haven't seen anything yet that impresses me about led lighting. I just can't justify spending $1000 on leds that can only grow a couple of plants. It's simple mathematics people. Led's = 2-6 plants if your lucky. Hps/mh= 36 plants and in a fraction of the time. Led"s are good for kids living with there parents growing in a stealth box under there bed but us grown folks need a return on our investment.

one of the primary drawbacks of LED's is not the technology itself; rather, it is the fact that volumes of inaccurate, antiquated and speculative LED information seems to dominate the web... so trying to understand the possibilities of LED's used as grow lights is particularly difficult if you are not immersed in a university setting... many - if not most - LED grow light sellers do not fully understand their own products... only a few reasonably effective/powerful LED configurations can be found from a couple professional LED grow light sellers, but even their most recent designs - whether a combination of individual LED's or LED matrices - do not fully reflect the most current PAR research... however, better configurations are on the horizon... the utility of LED grow lights continues to improve and i expect they will quickly surpass the functionality of all gas options... :D

if you are going to grow your tomatoes with full spectrum white light, ideally use 6500k for vegetative growth and 2700k for flowering... the Cree option is not ideal... i have done some research and found a seller of relatively inexpensive PAR38 spots that im going to try... you should be able to find an online store that is located in the usa, so you dont have to buy directly from china... i will use my PAR38 spots as supplemental lighting, but i think you cld do a complete grow with them as well... you may want to try 2 6500k and 6 2700k and run all 8 at the same time thru the entire grow... see the product link... note these are 60 degree spots and depending on your situation a 120 degree flood may be better... :)

The purpose behind LEDs is lower heat emissions and lower watts pulled by the lights. With a decent light they will pay for themselves in the first harvest in power savings. And how do you figure 35 plants under 1 1000 watt HPS?

I run 2000 watts of light and I must disagree with the amount of power used by gas lights. My bill averages $20 a month higher when growing. I run my whole grow on one 20 amp breaker. I can buy a lot of power for the $900 difference in cost There far mor efficient than most people realize. The composting soil creates a lot of the heat in a grow room,

With a hydro system, no soil at all, 4 1000 watt hps, the. additional fans needed for them, and increased AC use the power went up over $350. The same grow under LEDs uses 423 less watts per light, no additional fan just to help cool the lights, and not only not having to run the AC extra but needing to run it less to keep temps up, the bills only about $150 above average. Not only does it produce as much if not more weight, but higher quality as well. LEDs have far improved in the last couple years and only get better with each season.

Do u live in Cali or something? Whos your provider, Enron? They much charge a lot per kilowatt hour. My grow is in a 30' by 20' room. I have the room closed off with one box fan discharging out of the window. In the summer my air runs 24/7 reguardless of weither I'm growing or not. Every situations different, I get that but that's just an unbelievable increase in electrical cost. I'd try doing something different. I'm running 2000 watts of light in a closed off room that is NOT climate controlled. What's going on in my grow room is effecting the my total cost very little. Yes it's warm in there, around 80 degrees but it's a lot hotter than that outside so the box fan alone is keeping my temp within an exceptable range.

The fact you're in a 30' x 20' room gives you alot more room to dissipate heat, most people don't have that luxury. I know if I had that much room my grow would be alot larger. You can't be using that entire space with just 2 1000's though. Imagine how much heat you would have with that room at capacity...

Gelite, IF all you run is two 1000 watt lights AND nothing else AND for a max of 12 hours per day, that means you pay less than $0.03 per KWH. Thus, you have a lower power rate than any other person in the US (possibly the world). $20 per month / 22.7kph (2*1134 avg 1000 watt power pull) / 30 days = .02936... I do live in CA and can pay as much as $0.37 per KWH.

As I stated in a post the other day, you are very far off on the cost of HID systems. You cannot buy a 1000 watt HID system for $100 or a 400 watt system for $40. If you can I suggest buying all of them and using all of that extra room in your grow area to store them while you triple or quadruple your money reselling them.

None of those pictured are bulb, fixture, and ballast. To get a full 1000 watt HPS setup, I.e. bulb, fixture, and ballast is going to cost you almost $200. Most growers will also need some way to cool these lights, exhaust fan and ducting will come to another $60 to $100 depending on supplier and quality. Now most growers will also need to cool their room because it can easily get over recommended temps in an enclosed 20' sq that 1 fixture is good for, so either a separate cooling for the grow or running your whole house unit for longer periodscof time if it shuts off at all. So for the average 1 fixture 1000 watt setup you're looking at $300+, as well as using twice the monthly electricity. And as far as 2 1000 watt fixtures only costing you $20 a month to run, 8 26 watt cfls cost me about that a month.

Back
Top Bottom