Mars II LEDs - Supplementing the UV?

Doozy

Hi all,

It's a very simple question for anyone with experience with the TopLed Mars II panels, or indeed any other LED panels.

Do you feel that supplementing the UV with some UVB tubes would be a good idea with these units, and if so, how much? Is it necessary? (in particular the standard full spectrum units, which i will be using for both flower and veg)

For example, how many watts of non LED UVB would you add to (put next to) a 400w unit?

There really isn't that much proof that it helps. There is some anecdotal evidence that UV:B increases resin production, but no real scientific studies to back it up. When you have low level blues (below 470nm) in an LED panel, there is no noticeable difference between the thc or cbd content when supplemental UV:B is added or not for the strains that I have tested.

I would always run some sort of UV-B when growing indoors. When growing outdoors the sun doesn't decide to stop UV during the plants cycle then turn it on for a few hours during flower; It's always present with plant life outdoors. LED UV and incandescent lamps are very directional and don't affect the plant correctly, when running UV lighting it's best to stick with HID lighting or even some high end plasma/fluorescent lamps simply because it coats the entire plant (like the sun) instead of focused areas.

This is a scientific report on UV-B and cannabis, give it a read.

Chemical ecology of Cannabis

Also

Get More THC From Your Medical Marijuana Plants Using UV Light

You may want to re-read those studies that they refer to. That paper did not perform any test and the papers that it sites all use conjecture. The only true scientific studies are the ones from the '30's when they didn't have the ability to isolate the spectrum or the compounds properly.

Again, there is anecdotal evidence but no true scientific studies. I have tested it a few times and the samples that have LED light below 460nm (I was using Cree royal blue 455nm diodes) showed within +- .02% for all cannabinoids.

There really isn't that much proof that it helps. There is some anecdotal evidence that UV:B increases resin production, but no real scientific studies to back it up. When you have low level blues (below 470nm) in an LED panel, there is no noticeable difference between the thc or cbd content when supplemental UV:B is added or not for the strains that I have tested.

If it is not intellectual property ......... I would love to see your preferred spectrum/ratio :)

Understood and don't blame you - You obviously have a lot of work into your R&D.

But thanks for the info on UVB - Your consultation fly's further with me that a lot of the so called "White papers" out there.

Cheers,
WG

Re: Mars II LEDs... supplementing the UV?

Hey , i need help from a professional or someone with knowhow pls-- i will start to grow and i got a speace from 60x60x145 cm or 80x80x80 cm--

i wanna do it as good as i can- so for my space, what is the right led lamp? Does a 12 band full spectrum mean that uv light is involved? or just ir light? what is right?

my first choice was viperspectra 450 w but i ask them on amazon and they said they got no uv light in it-- plus its not that good for blooming

than i wanna go with mars hydro 2 400 w- but it also dont got uv light as far i know till now- is this right that mars hydro 2 got no uv light?--

and we`re almost in 2018 now-- are there studies now that uv does provide more thc or is generally better for indoor and the plants?
so if jes my next step would be a Advanced Platinum Series P300 or 450 w- this got uv for sure-

so what sould i do now if i wanna have good resulst ?? Is there now a noticeable diffrence to no uv or uv light =?

i mean if there is no diffrence with uv or not i should take the mars hydro 2 or my space or the platinum led with uv light?

and is the 300 w platinum led better than a 400 w mars hydro 2 for my max.4 plants or should i take the 450 w platinum led then?
could a platinum led 300 w handel 4 plants max? or like the mars hydro 300 w (withe one )just 2 ?

and if uv is not that important i would go with mars 2 i think-- or is platinum led 300 w or 450 w for liek 200 euros more than my mars hydro 2 in the end so much better and i should invest this ``little ``bit more money for the 300 or 450 w?

and did someone grow with the new niello led grow lmps with any w? they claim to be as good as the others cheeps like mars and viperspac but got uv light and stuff!?

last thing-if i go with mars hydro 2 400 w for my tent - sould i take 2 of mars hydro 300 w(white model) or is one 450 w better?
thx for all good helps

and what would be the next better lights with no fans for exapmle -sanlight i know from austria but there made for 120x120 tents -- its to big for me till now

Re: Mars II LEDs... supplementing the UV?

Hey , i need help from a professional or someone with knowhow pls-- i will start to grow and i got a speace from 60x60x145 cm or 80x80x80 cm--

i wanna do it as good as i can- so for my space, what is the right led lamp? Does a 12 band full spectrum mean that uv light is involved? or just ir light? what is right?

my first choice was viperspectra 450 w but i ask them on amazon and they said they got no uv light in it-- plus its not that good for blooming

than i wanna go with mars hydro 2 400 w- but it also dont got uv light as far i know till now- is this right that mars hydro 2 got no uv light?--

and we`re almost in 2018 now-- are there studies now that uv does provide more thc or is generally better for indoor and the plants?
so if jes my next step would be a Advanced Platinum Series P300 or 450 w- this got uv for sure-

so what sould i do now if i wanna have good resulst ?? Is there now a noticeable diffrence to no uv or uv light =?

i mean if there is no diffrence with uv or not i should take the mars hydro 2 or my space or the platinum led with uv light?

and is the 300 w platinum led better than a 400 w mars hydro 2 for my max.4 plants or should i take the 450 w platinum led then?
could a platinum led 300 w handel 4 plants max? or like the mars hydro 300 w (withe one )just 2 ?

and if uv is not that important i would go with mars 2 i think-- or is platinum led 300 w or 450 w for liek 200 euros more than my mars hydro 2 in the end so much better and i should invest this ``little ``bit more money for the 300 or 450 w?

and did someone grow with the new niello led grow lmps with any w? they claim to be as good as the others cheeps like mars and viperspac but got uv light and stuff!?

last thing-if i go with mars hydro 2 400 w for my tent - sould i take 2 of mars hydro 300 w(white model) or is one 450 w better?
thx for all good helps

Thanks for care about Mars lights:thanks:

MarsII400 has no UV, when UV added, the panel may burn out easily. Some customers us Tube UV with our lights help their ladies grow, but some customers told us it is not useful. Having not exact answer about it.

MarsII 400 can cover your plants well in tent 60cmx60cm or 80cmx80cm. If you want more powerful light, I recommend poII120 not mars300. 300W is old light, lifespan is not as long as proII series.

How about your idea?

Back
Top Bottom