Mars-Hydro - Formerly TopLedGrowLight - Customer Service Review

Hello fellow 420 members. I wanted to take a few hours of my time today to provide in detail my customer service/warranty claim experience with Mars-Hydro(Mars Hydro LED - the Best Solutions for Horticulture and Indoor Plants) formerly TopLedGrowLights(Led Grow Lights for indoor plants-Top Led) with you all. I felt like this community deserves to know so an informed decision can be made making a long term investment in an LED light that should last for years. They claim on their website to give a 3 year warranty and to have very good customer service.

Let me start by saying I purshased the Mars II 700 watt LED after reading a couple great journals from members here and also cause they are a sponsor here. SmokeSara (Mars-Hydro rep here) was very involved with them and was a joy to follow along with in the journals. This led to my decision to buy their LED. Ten months later I am regretting my decision immensely. This has been by far the most FRUSTRATING experience i’ve had with any customer service. Below is a timeline of all the events that led to my frustration and ultimately this write up. As of this post I have not received my light back. Let me also mention that you need to be somewhat handy with tools and a DIY person if you want support for a LED purchased thru Mars-Hydro. All communications were done thru email. There was a big language barrier also and at times was hard to understand them. So here we go:

********************************************************************************
Feb 2014 - I purchased a Mars II 700 watt LED.

********************************************************************************
Sep 22 2014 - Noticed a section of my leds (1/6 of the lights to be exact) did not work. I contacted support immediately at sales4@lgledsolutions.com. A person name Serena responded. They only respond at night with the time difference from here and China. That is very frustrating as you have to wait a day to get a response. Once they respond and you respond back you then have to wait another day to get a second response, and so on…. This was not a big deal to me cause I was happy to just get a response. Immediately they thought it was an issue with power supply and wanted me to take it apart and test lights with another power supply.

Sep 22 2014 - I took apart LED and tested lights with another power supply within the LED. The lights still did not work with a different power supply. The Mars II 700 consists of 6 power supplies inside that power 6 different sections of the LED. Contacted Serena and let her know its not an issue with the power supply.

Sep 23 - Serena asks for pictures so I send them to her.

Sep 24 - Serena states she talked to engineer and that they want me to test every light with an electroprobe. I let her know I don’t think LEDs are faulty because its all out in one section. That can’t be a conicidence. She insisted I do what they say.

Sep 25 - I stayed up until 2AM in the morning working with Serena to test light. I have a multimeter that was given to me by my uncle and googled how to test led lights. Found a nice site that showed how to test light. I tested every light that was bad and they all lit up fine with the multimeter. Serena wanted proof of my tests so i took many pictures of me testing the light and showing that they turned on when connected to multimeter.

Serena then sends me an email saying I should take the light to a technician. I reply saying why do I need to pay my own money to go to a technician to find out what’s wrong. I’ve done all the troubleshooting myself. She replies and here is copy/paste from Serena email:

"I got your email just now. You need to test which is the faulty part. I don't know which part is faulty. That's the reason why I recommend you take the light out to a electrician. “

My thoughts: First of all I can’t believe I got that response after I clearly showed there is nothing wrong with LEDs and power supply. My frustration level is quite high now. Its quite obvious there is something wrong with the circuitry in the board and they don’t want to deal with it. Here was my response:

"The LED lights all work. The power supplies all work. There is nothing else left to check. There is nothing left for an electrician to do then the troubleshooting I have done. Is there something your engineers would do differently then what I have done with probe and multimeter? If so what and I will do the test.
The faulty part is the board. I understand that is the expensive piece with all the lights welded in it but that should not matter. You guys advertise a 3 year warranty. Why are you being so difficult? I feel I need to report this to 420 Mag as you are now being very difficult to work with.
Please let me know what to do next besides seeing an electrician. I have given you plenty of evidence and pictures of what is bad.”

Serena then replies an hour later that I tested the LEDs but did not test the Protect Tubes. My first thought is you didn’t tell me to and what the heck is a protect tube. She then sends pictures on how to test them. I test them and everything is fine. I send her pictures of test results. Frustration level is super high at this time. It is 2 am in the morning and we are getting no where. I did more then my due diligence to be told to take it to a technician and pay my own money. Just honor your warranty.

After sending Serena the above I get another reply stating I need to test the Protect Tubes. Really? Didn’t i just do that. Frustration at an all time high right now but I manage to stay professional. I take very clear pictures and add text to them this time. I send her another set of pics. Here are pics of what I sent them.

IMG_202814.jpg

photo_1_1_47.jpg
IMG_203816.jpg
IMG_203713.jpg
IMG_203615.jpg
IMG_203414.jpg
IMG_203015.jpg

Sep 26 thru 27 - Now they believe me that everything tests out good and gives me the name of technician to contact and to send light in. I want to avoid putting the techs name so I will use his initials which is LG. I have to pay the shipping costs to them. This was not a surprise as I read their warranty policy before hand.

Emails go back and forth with me and Serena. I ask her if they can send me a light while they fix mine since I was in the middle of a grow that was in flowering stage. See my Grow 3 in signature. Of course she says no. Not a big surprise. So I let her know I will work with LG to get light fixed but it would have to wait until mid November as I’m in the middle of a grow. Serena said that was fine.

Oct 6 - Serena sends me an email if I got light fixed and if so could I share the details of the issue so they can better help future customers. Very nice of her to get back with me. However, I did tell you I wouldn’t contact LG until Mid November. Remember? And why don’t you just ask LG what the issue is as he is your technician servicing customers in the state. Anyhow, I let her know again that this will happen in Nov.

Oct 21 - I call LG and he replies thru text messages. I just wanted to get him caught up on what’s happening with LED and let him know I will send lights in 4-6 weeks. At this point I am hopeful troubles are behind me since he responds immediately, there is no language barrier, and the time zone difference is only 1 hour.

Nov 17 - I text LG letting him know I’m sending Light in. Cost me $25 for standard ups. Made sure I put all the info he needed in the package.

Nov 20 - UPS site shows package was delivered.

Dec 1 - Heard nothing from LG and no light returned so I text LG to confirm he received light and when I can expect to receive it back. He replied stating he did receive and that he’ll let me know when it’s ready. Note: This will be the last I hear from LG.

Dec 9 - Haven’t heard back from LG. I send him a text asking for an update. No response. I then send and email to Serena (China) letting them know I am not getting a response from LG. Here is her response:
"Sorry for the trouble.
Lloyd always fix light very slowly. He is old. Hope you could kindly understand. We always contact him, he always get back to us late. But I'll try my best to contact him. Please try to contact him also.”

My thoughts: Really? Is that your answer.

Dec 10 - My response to Serena:
"Thanks for your quick reply. I understand but also try and understand where I as a customer am coming from. This is my only light and this slow service with no status is extremely frustrating and preventing me from growing and leaves me wondering if I will ever get my light back. I don't think explanations and excuses of old and always responds late makes things any better for your customer.

I have been trying to reach out to Lloyd but he has not responded. I just want to get a working light back so I can grow my meds. Can you please speed up this process somehow and provide me with a status.

Thanks,
xxxxx”

Serena’s response:
"Hi xxxxx,

You could get your light back I promise, if you sent the light to Lloyd. We have contacted Lloyd. He is still fixing it. Could you be kind to wait a few days. No worry. You could get your light back. Just take times, you know you have checked the light before the problem is not the power supply and leds. It might be the pcb board. It takes time to change the board to take out all leds and fit in a new board. "

My thoughts: Nothing but empty promises. How can I believe any thing you tell me at this point.
Dec 11 - Asked again for an update from LG. No response.

Serena sends me an email:

"Hi xxxxx

Is the address as follow yours?

xxxxx
xxxx Davis St.
San Leandro, CA
xxxxxx
Bend, OR

I need to confirm which kind of light you have sent to Lloyd to get fixed. Because Lloyd got lights from different buyers. He is a little confused.

Looking forward to your reply.”

My thoughts: Seriously? You don’t know who I am or my address or what light I sent you. How disorganized can this establishment be. Don’t you have a database or at least a spreadsheet to organize things. Crazy.

Dec 12 - My response to Serena’s last email:

"That is not my address. My light is a mars II 700. It's in the subject line.

My address is:
xxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx, CO 800xx

Thanks,
xxxxx"

And that brings us to today. I have not gotten a response from Serena to my last email. I just sent LG another text and Serena another email asking for an update. I will post updates as I get them.

If you have taken the time to read this then you know what my advice is if you are planning to buy an LED from this company. There is no way I can recommend them. You get good responses from the China support email address but that’s about it. The lights grow a decent plant and they are much cheaper then most out there. But will they last and will the warranty be honored is a big question mark. Here is a quote from the warranty policy of their old website. " If product has problem, you spread bad words everywhere on internet, but not tell us in advance, we will not give warranty.” I’m not talking bad. Just providing facts and they have known well in advance of the issue. So we will see if I ever get the light back. The fact this statement is in the warranty policy should be very alarming. This quote was not on the site when I purchased the light. If it was I would not have made the purchase.

Hopefully I have not forgotten anything. I keep good records and have all traces of emails and texts. Hopefully I get a working light back (and the right model) or my money.

Please feel free to provide your customer service experience with Mars-Hydro here (Good or Bad). I ask that you refrain from cursing and using personal attacks and to only provide facts of your experience. Sorry for the long post but I felt it necessary to provide all the details.

Re: Mars-Hydro (formerly TopLedGrowLight) Customer Service Review

A great light for those with less money and more talent in the DIY repair department.

I suspect it is somewhat easy to replace a burnt out led on the board and its easy enough to replace a power supply if one goes.
its my feeling that if you Buy online your pretty much stuck with it unless you want to pay more than the repair is worth in shipping fees.

I personally just started using a MarsHydro 300w (180w true watt) a few weeks ago and have purchased two 144 3w LED 432w (reportedly 260-300w but yet to be tested) different Chinese knock off lights. I will not be sending them anywhere for repairs but my bench.

I also have ordered 40 6 inch heat sinks ($32) to attach to the back of the lights once I receive them , these cheap lights are know to ship with no heat sinks which shortens there life, I will fix this issue myself. Also Some of the USA designed LED lights are lacking the heat sinks ..

I understand your frustration , I hate dealing with inept customer service agents most painful.

"Serena states she talked to engineer and that they want me to test every light with an electroprobe"

This is not even close to warranty of merchantability requirements. Hey a photo should do it. Why should this community have to stand for that crap?
Hey I build audio tube equipment, which is alot harder than putting together than these friggin lights and I can tell you it takes no time whatsoever to go through a light and fix it. One day in and out. Drivers, boards, solder, fans, lens, whatever. They should have sent out a new light and canned the old one or fix it and sell it refurbished (lol!)

I bet that PLED, ADV. LED, and Area 51, or Growblu won't f' with you like that. No I don't sell anything either. I bought all those lights and no problems. My first lights were Mars II 700's. I got rid of em after 6 months or so. I had been doing HPS and MH since, well along time. I loved the heat loss, things seemed good, then I got one of the above 4 mentioned companies lights. Man, I never looked back.

A great light for those with less money and more talent in the DIY repair department.
Agreed LEDBud. Though the issue with my light may be beyond a typical DIYer skills.

"Serena states she talked to engineer and that they want me to test every light with an electroprobe"

This is not even close to warranty of merchantability requirements. Hey a photo should do it. Why should this community have to stand for that crap?
Hey I build audio tube equipment, which is alot harder than putting together than these friggin lights and I can tell you it takes no time whatsoever to go through a light and fix it. One day in and out. Drivers, boards, solder, fans, lens, whatever. They should have sent out a new light and canned the old one or fix it and sell it refurbished (lol!)

I bet that PLED, ADV. LED, and Area 51, or Growblu won't f' with you like that. No I don't sell anything either. I bought all those lights and no problems. My first lights were Mars II 700's. I got rid of em after 6 months or so. I had been doing HPS and MH since, well along time. I loved the heat loss, things seemed good, then I got one of the above 4 mentioned companies lights. Man, I never looked back.
Thanks for the input heatmiser. Let me add G8LED to your list of LEDs. They are very good also.

Wow that's ridiculous man I would demand a brand new light or a refund that is not like any customer service I've ever heard of good to know I will leave them alone when I get my money saved for my led definitely going with dorm grow or a platinum

I am not in charge of ebay, but I am in charge of 420 forum business, so I can help you for sure. ebay has different policy, so I need to talk with them first.

promise to help you out today.please email me.
Hey Gov. Crazy eh? I felt bad writing this but I feel a responsibility to this great community to inform potential future buyers.

you buy from ebay right? I will ask Serena first. I believe ebay has their own policy to protect you .

I am not in charge of ebay, but I am in charge of 420 forum business, so I can help you for sure. ebay has different policy, so I need to talk with them first.

Hi SmokeSara. Yes, this particular purchase was made thru eBay with a seller from Mars-Hydro. I made sure of this before buying. Thanks for trying to help get this resolved.

I emailed you , please check it and reply me, thank you .
Hi SmokeSara. Yes, this particular purchase was made thru eBay with a seller from Mars-Hydro. I made sure of this before buying. Thanks for trying to help get this resolved.

This is something to consider when purchasing. I have MarsII's and have had no trouble thus far and hopefully wont. Good luck Allsmiles , I know I could not go months without my lights.:peace:

if you have any problem, please email me or tell me under my topic, then I can get information ASAP and find the right person to help you . sometimes I am busy , so I will not solve problems myself. if you buy from ebay, I can not get your email and do not know your problem, so I can not help very fast.

Dear all my friends, the fast way you can get help from me is to post under my topic. I or my workmate read here everyday, so I will know very fast and help fast.

I am Sara, real sara, not my workmate, haha.

This is something to consider when purchasing. I have MarsII's and have had no trouble thus far and hopefully wont. Good luck Allsmiles , I know I could not go months without my lights.:peace:

I emailed you , please check it and reply me, thank you .
Got your email. Just replied.
Thanks Evo-Rat-93. I hope they last you 3 years and beyond.

ok, problem solved, you will get the light in a week. please check your email, I asked lloyd shipped to the place you emailed me :) sorry for the inconvenience we bring to you AllSmile .
Done. Thanks again for getting involved. :)

It's too bad you had to go through all this Allsmiles. I know, personally, I would not have been pleased being asked to jump through so many hoops, but Sara will get you sorted I'm sure.

I think this is not the norm regarding their product, but it's obvious the customer service part needs a good looking-at. If they had a few more Saras, available at all hours, things like this likely wouldn't happen very often. My .02c

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom