Comparison - Mars II Series 5watt vs Reflector Series 3watt from Mars Hydro/Top LED

UncleCannabis

If anyone has had experience with both the Mars II (5w LED) and the Reflector Series (3w LED) panels from Mars Hydro (previously Top LED) it would be great if you share your experience regarding any differences between the 2 models.
I'm considering investing in a number of their lights (swapping from HID to LED's) but am torn between the newer Mars II models (full spectrum-non switchable) or the Reflector Series which is also a full spectrum but is switchable to optimise spectrums for vegetative and/or flowering.
My questions / concerns are:
1.) Is the Mars II as good as the Reflector for both stages of growth (veg and flowering)?
2.) Would the Reflector Series be a better choice as a "one light fits all" for both veg and flower compared to the Mars II?
3.) Is there any noticeable difference in growth, yields, bud mass, bud density, node lengths, etc due to the Mars II's stronger 5watt LED's compared to the Reflector Series 3watt LED's?
4.) Are there any differences in the light spectrums or spectrum ratios between the 2 models or are they the same?
5.) When the Reflector Series is switched from veg growth mode to flowering mode does this switch it to full spectrum same as the Mars II or does it turn off some of the bulbs that were on or active in veg mode and turn on some bulbs that may have been off or inactive when in veg growth mode?

Since I will be purchasing several lights this will be a very large investment so any information gained from actual experiences with both of these 2 model lights would be greatly appreciated.

I use an old model 100x3 and the mars II 400 and love it. The mars II is better by far. Tight dense nugs, great penetration. I know wildjim used both mars and reflector lights, and after his first grow he invested in more of the mars II lights. I would say mars II because of the penetration and prices.

Re: Comparison-Mars II Series (5watt) vs Reflector Series (3watt) from Mars Hydro/Top

Thanks PeytonManning.
Although the Reflector Series seems to offer more flexibility and potential cost savings when using as a veg lamp I think that the Mars II would probably be the better overall choice due to the improved canopy penetration when using for flowering. I'd assume the potential improvements in bud quality and possibly yield increases with the improved penetration that would be had with the Mars II would outweigh the potential energy cost savings during veg with the Reflector Series.
I realize that there would be a tad more heat with the Mars II's but my room is climate controlled and well ventilated so there will be no issues with heat for my application.

The tent that I'll be installing this new LED system in will be 8'Lx8'Wx7'H. I'm thinking of using 4 each of the Mars II 1200's on tracks going across the top. I'm also considering installing 2 each of the Reflector Series 144x3's track mounted along one of the sides pointing inwards for side penetration. I always leave about 2.5 ft of free access area along the entry side of the tent for plant & maintenance access so the 2 side lights should always be about 24" min from the first row of pots.

Decisions.....decisions.......

Re: Comparison-Mars II Series (5watt) vs Reflector Series (3watt) from Mars Hydro/Top

You may want to re-post that question here....

Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

This is the Mars discussion thread where a lot of users of Mars Hydro frequent and you may get a lot of help there.

I have used both lights, but only used the Mars II for flowering, and only the reflector for veg so I personally can't compare on a full cycle. But if you repost your question in the mars thread, you may get more answers from those who frequent that thread.

Thanks for the advise Icemud. I'm new here and still kind of feeling my way around so I appreciate the advise on where to post for the best feedback.

Its hard to find anything in that thread. Its too cluttered with useless comments.

If anyone has had experience with both the Mars II (5w LED) and the Reflector Series (3w LED) panels from Mars Hydro (previously Top LED) it would be great if you share your experience regarding any differences between the 2 models.
I'm considering investing in a number of their lights (swapping from HID to LED's) but am torn between the newer Mars II models (full spectrum-non switchable) or the Reflector Series which is also a full spectrum but is switchable to optimise spectrums for vegetative and/or flowering.
1.) Is the Mars II as good as the Reflector for both stages of growth (veg and flowering)?
2.) Would the Reflector Series be a better choice as a "one light fits all" for both veg and flower compared to the Mars II?
3.) Is there any noticeable difference in growth, yields, bud mass, bud density, node lengths, etc due to the Mars II's stronger 5watt LED's compared to the Reflector Series 3watt LED's?
4.) Are there any differences in the light spectrums or spectrum ratios between the 2 models or are they the same?
5.) When the Reflector Series is switched from veg growth mode to flowering mode does this switch it to full spectrum same as the Mars II or does it turn off some of the bulbs that were on or active in veg mode and turn on some bulbs that may have been off or inactive when in veg growth mode?

Since I will be purchasing several lights this will be a very large investment so any information gained from actual experiences with both of these 2 model lights would be greatly appreciated.

You're more than welcome to have a look at my current grow "double reflector". I have no experience with the 5w model, but i've seen multiple succesfull grows with that product. The 3w reflector model is very considerable, gives you opportunity to scrog plants, and get a very nice result at a low price, and being able to switch between veg "and flower" which saves you dollars on electrical bill.

I just got the mars 144x3w reflector. I switched from a 1000w hps and mh. So far my plants love it. I started a new grow with it and nothing but satisfaction. Go with the reflector series imho. I researched on many sites and through personal references and decided the light was the one. Hands down in first 9 days i can see that they love the light(day 9 is today lol).

I have 3 of the Mars Hydro 144 x 3 and also used 1000 watt HPS .My plants just went in to flower and they are loving the reflector lights ..

Hello DoctorDoolittle, not sure if you have ordered the lights yet. Here is my explaination on the two series lights we have:
1. mars ii lights are using 5watt chips so they are more powerful and the penetration is better. At the same time, they will produce more heat than our reflector series.
2. Reflector series uses 3watt chips thus the heat is barely a problem. Also the swichable design make it much more easy to control the light.
3. Both lights are full spectrum for veg and flower, the ratio of the light is the same, just different chips.
IMO, if heat is not a concern to you, I would recommend you choose our mars II series, larger watt lights will increase yeild better according to many of our customers' experience. If you havenot ordered yet, please contact me, we can discuss the most suitable lights for you. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Sara,

it wont let me reply to your pm because I don't have 50 posts.
I have bought these 2 192x3w off mars hydro already and I'm in love oh my god they are amazing! I still don't know what to do for my flower tent though because you emailed me earlier and said for my tent go with 4 144x3w which I like the idea of because it would be a lot less energy but you also have said on here to go with 2 1600w so set me straight with is it lol I am located in seattle area Washington united states

Hello Madpanda, welcome. the draw power is not too much difference actually. two pieces 1600w is around 1450w, 4 144x3w is around 1200w. you save 250w:)
Sara,

it wont let me reply to your pm because I don't have 50 posts.
I have bought these 2 192x3w off mars hydro already and I'm in love oh my god they are amazing! I still don't know what to do for my flower tent though because you emailed me earlier and said for my tent go with 4 144x3w which I like the idea of because it would be a lot less energy but you also have said on here to go with 2 1600w so set me straight with is it lol I am located in seattle area Washington united states

I saw your picture, the room is not too big, you'd better use reflector, less heat compared with 1600w. more lights can cover better usually:)

Mars2 better penetration. You can bid on a 900w off eBay every day auctions ending for the 700 and 900 w mars2. You can get the 900's for around 260 with free shipping if you wait until the last 10 seconds to bid. Hope this helps

Light spectrums the same if both veg and flower switches are on. Mars2 penetrates better, see previous response about buying on eBay

Here is a good read for you. It helped me decide on thw reflector series from mars. Plus its a good short read on led 3 watt vs 5 watt chips. Enjoy :Namaste: 3 Watt vs 5 Watt Diodes for LED Grow Lights | Dorm Grow Blog

If you wanna see some pics or how its going or what the lights look like feel free to check out my grow, My LED Grow

They are both the same, just intensity is higher on the mars 2. For small indoor grows, the reflector series is great. If you are looking for more of a larger commercial, or you need more than about 5 feet of penetration past the canopy then the mars 2 is for you. I hope this helps! :Namaste:

ebay fans:high-five:
900w bid finished:) we will out of stock in the USA very soon , we can not bid recently:)
Light spectrums the same if both veg and flower switches are on. Mars2 penetrates better, see previous response about buying on eBay

:( All bid will finish on EB store tomorrow. the price is too low,we are losing money on those things. we can not keep longer, if we keep too long, bid everyday, we will lose a lot money, that is harm to keeping product quality. quality and service are the first thing we are taking great care. so we prefer sell at the right price . we make some money, and keep the quality and service better and better.

BTW, If one EB store bid a lot products everyday , and they keeping bidding for a very long time ,besides you find the product is really very cheap after bid, please be careful. no company will lose money to do business.

Sara, I was interested in a 600w reflector and a tent but I can't message you.can you please message me? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom