LED grow Cal-Mag question?

Jedthedog

Sorry did a search could not find info..
I have ordered 3 LED panels from Mars-Hydro and am getting ready to put them to work. In some of the threads that I have read it appears that you must add Cal-Mag to the mix as LED growing requires this more than usual ? Can some one take a minute and school me on this ? Feed charts,schedule, does this apply to both Veg and Flower.. As alway,s Thank you all so much...Happy Growing..

Re: LED grow Cal-Mag question ?

I have read about this as well, and would love to hear any responses... In my own grow, using platinum leds, I felt like I may have been experiencing a Cal Mag situation, but I also had serious ph problems (was not diligent enough) so, it is kinda hard for me to separate the problems... I did add molasses to my feed schedule, and did one watering with Epsom salts. Between those moves, and really monitoring my ph of water and nutes, my plants are now happy again. Entering week three of 12/12, flowers are forming, and I am wondering whether to do another round of epsom salts, or even the Earth Juice Cal Mag I bought. I am using the Bio Bizz nutrient schedule for All mix, with all products except the Alg a Mic. I also add a tsp of molasses, and 1/2 tsp of Real Grower's Recharge per gallon every other feeding. All seems good for now, my flowers are growing well... but I wonder too if I need to hit them with one more dose.

I keep hearing references to this ...... From my 1 trail run and currently with my 5x10' @ 7.5 weeks under CTlites and my 4x8' @ 6 weeks under 2x 1200w Mars - I can only guess that I have no issues due to the nutes I use that have plenty of Cal/Mag (Jacks Pro Hyrdo). Simple 3/2 ration @ 600ppm start to finish and zero issues to date. Being new to this my only real concern is that they look a little tooooo healthy - No dying leaves at all on my "Bianca" (flushing with plain water now for 7 days) and I am will chop them down any day now.....just looking for the first sign of Amber :)

Some say they need a little Mag when using Coco but with Rice hulls and pebbles - NO issues

WG

Hi Jedhedog, first question is what are you growing in? What media? Also what phase of grow are you in?

This time of the year we use a 5 x 5 Gorilla tent with an 8 ft ceiling. Smart pots and home made soil. I have a few plants in veg this time of the year that I pull clones off of,so just getting started for season.. Been doing HID and HPS 1000watt for a good while and also do outdoors.
The LED thing is all new to me so I only know what I read.. Thank's ...

Okay, well I am growing hydro' but I would say the same applies to soil/indoor. I'm new to hydro and indoor growing, but I just went through a case of deficiency and then burn. I found that if you start @ .5 per gal, and bring it up .5 by each week, you may find the happy spot. I stopped @ 1. Per gal with healthy leaves. It may vary for you. That was the method I came to to keep the girls happy. For what that's worth, m8.

I should tell you I used the min recommended dosage on the cal mag bottle ( 3 - 5ml per gal ) and had problems right away. Be cautious.
Good luck, Andy.

Good morning!:thumb:
I use Dutch Master Gold nute line and I use LED w HPS/MH.
On the DM Website, they say that the DM nuts are chock full of cal/mag and no supplement is req.
My experience agrees with this. :thanks:

This time of the year we use a 5 x 5 Gorilla tent with an 8 ft ceiling. Smart pots and home made soil. I have a few plants in veg this time of the year that I pull clones off of,so just getting started for season.. Been doing HID and HPS 1000watt for a good while and also do outdoors.
The LED thing is all new to me so I only know what I read.. Thank's ...

So a little update with pics. It is day 45 of flower and it seems that I have fought what looks to me as a Cal-Mag issue almost from the get go on 2 tangerine dream plants and 1 AK plant. Also have 3 Purple something all have been fed the same diet but the purp,s never really showed any signs of anything wrong.
So since they were put in to flower this is how they have been fed. I make up a worm tea that I bubble for about 30-48 hours that consist of organic worm castings and good water. After this has bubbled I add 3 mils of Cal-Mag, 1 tbsp of Earth juice rainbow mix bloom {powder} about 15 mils of liquid seaweed and lastly 15mils ful-power humic acid. This is what I have fed them twice. In between they would get the water and nutes mentioned above minus the tea. Some of the stems on the fan leaves became like a deep red, and some leave are getting striped. I have increased the Cal-Mag to 5 mils a week about 10 days ago.. So what do you think I have going on , we really try and stay light on all of the nutes .
IMG_0040105.JPG
IMG_004687.JPG
IMG_004587.JPG

You should post this in the "problems, pests & disease control" in the "grow room" section. You'll get a better and quicker responce there.
It sure looks like a deficiency to me, but not sure what exactly. Hope you find it. You have me curious now.

Just one thing I didn't see mentioned anywhere. Are you using RO water? While RO water is very good at removing all the crap that is bad for your little girls it also removes calcium and magnesium from your H2O as well. If you are using RO you should have been adding CalMag from the get go. Not needing to give any company a plug but I use the CalMag from General Hydroponics and it has always worked fine.

Just one thing I didn't see mentioned anywhere. Are you using RO water? While RO water is very good at removing all the crap that is bad for your little girls it also removes calcium and magnesium from your H2O as well. If you are using RO you should have been adding CalMag from the get go. Not needing to give any company a plug but I use the CalMag from General Hydroponics and it has always worked fine.

No RO water .. But have been using the Cal -Mag and have built it up to 5 mils per gallon.

Hey
I run DIY cree 3590 Leds
In straight Coco
I have found for me
Cal mag was the issue.
Coco needs extra calcium to start because it has no calcium in it.
But I find that once the coco is full of calcium, it no longer needs extra,
A ms the Leds make the plant use more MAG.
Chase ing a mag issue with calmag is problematic.
I add calcium to the coco expand soak, and in first feeding, then no more extra Cal.
Every feeding after that I add Mag to my ferts feeding.
So in answer:
For me,
Separate cal and mag instead of calmag fixed me issues....
Peacenluv

Back
Top Bottom