Help with lighting

swarty23

Hello - first time grower and was hoping for a bit of advice. Just setting up my grow space for my first grow - just going to try the one plant to see how it goes before doing anything more heavy duty. Have been researching lighting and trying to figure out what works best. Decided to go with cfls at first (cost) but have gotten myself in a bit of a muddle with with wattage and lumens...

ended up purchasing 11w that equal 60w only to then read that the 60w is useless as its the 11w that counts. Was looking at the lumens though and over 600 for each lightbulb which would give me 3000 with 5 which was the plan. The light spectre is 6500k as well which was my main focus. Not looking for a big yield - more wanting to grow the first plant and then improve.

My questions is whether i can go ahead with the above light bulbs or whether I would be best to return them (when they finally arrive) and get ones with a bigger wattage. I do have a couple of 2700k 40 - 60w bulbs as well so I could mix it up?

my seeds are feminised northern lights and planning on growing in soil if that helps....

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Hey swarty, check out my journal posts. I've used 2x cfl 100 Watt equivalents (23watts) for each of my three girls. They did really well under them during their vegetation phase, then I moved them to LEDs since the amount of cfls needed to properly flower is immense. (I just kept Adding and adding to my fixture) eventually was up to 380 watts at the wall in cfls only.... Imagine.

6500 Kelvin (daylight) bulbs for veg, and 2700k soft white mix with the daylights for flower. I'll tell you right now. It works fine, but the honest thruth is you'll never be satisfied, you'll keep wanting more light. Lol. Maybe it's just me and my ADD. But ya it will definitely get you started and well into your journey of growing medicine.

1454272677520-1518895981.jpg
t5s for seedlings kept an inch or two away. and below we start 1 cfl per plant then up to 4 per plant using y-splitters keeping them 1-3 inches away. (further if you want to Stretch your girls) this will get them to flower stage no problem. Once in flower you'll need more bulbs to essentially get light into every crevasse of the plant since light penetration is not good at all.
20160131_135912.jpg

Hope this helps,
below is my old fixture I made, 8 t5s and up to 16 cfls. Safely.... This flowered s full size plant but yield was seeded so I want able to tell how good it may have been... Check out Atrain first grow journal... Search and you'll find... He had great results under cfl
20160106_190255.jpg

Thank you so much for the replies. Gives me some hope that this might actually work. planning on starting tomorrow as long as the bulbs arrive so we'll see what happens :)

Back
Top Bottom