Using three or four types of lighting

Shrekmode

Ok so here is my thought. I see some discussion about using HPS and LED or CFL and LED.

So me and same friends were discussing ideas and an idea I have had will not go away 3 50' w/h a light socket every two feet. So here is the Thought Process
I purchased a grow tent fully mylar that is 8ft x 4ft x 6.5ft tall. I have about 60 CFL bulbs. Ranging from 26w to 46w with different color type soft white etc. I also have about 15 HPS 50W bulbs and two 48" T5's with two tubes. The only thing I am lacking would be the LED end of things. But would like to put either 6w, 10w, or 18w. I was considering 26W but think that will be too much.

So here is the design plan
T5's hung across the ridge
along the roof with the light string putting 50W HPS only I would get 13-14 lights along that edge giving me 650-700w or do a mix of HPS and 50wLED it would give me roughly 350 HPS and 350LED.

Then working my way down along back and sides with alternating CFL and LED lights with 18" separation between the HPS string. Then CFL/LED light string with 12" between string rows. I would tighten up the distance between lights from 2feet to 1 foot. So I would add about 50000 lumens of CFL and about 25 LED lightsbetween 6-18w.

So question of the Day is this even feasible. I would have 6-8 plants in the tent.

If I am totally off my rocker please let me know. I live by the motto go bog or go home.

Hi Shrekmode.

Welcome to the 420 Magazine community of members.

While I tend to think that more light is generally a good thing, I tend to think you might not get lighting results you expect from the described set up. All light sources, but flourescent in particular, suffers from the Inverse Square Law of Light. I hope you will do some study on the subject, but the basic premis is that for every doubling of distance away from a light source you move, a 4x loss of power will be experienced. For example, if a light source has X amount of power at 1 foot, then it only has 1/4th X power at 2 feet.

In your description, you mention putting the T-5's across the top of the tent. Plants on the floor will recieve very little usable light from them. Some of your other configuration will suffer the same issue, if I'm understanding correctly.

In addition to sounding like a bit of a fire hazard, I can't help wonder if you wouldn't get better results from less bulbs closer to the plants. Kind of a quality over quantity thing.

Be well and happy growing!

Back
Top Bottom