LED or LEC?

High All,
I am looking for the forums input on which light performs better in a 4x4x7 tent LEC or LED?

It appears Cree cxb3590 have an edge over LEC in efficiency and lumen output,

Would you agree LEC has advantage over the cobs in UV spectrum?

Which should I embrace? LEC or COB LED?

Yes please check on their website for the immaculate coverage of a 4'x4'. Hold on I keep one of these handy for just the occasion.

1200w.jpg

It's not bad for what it is, a cheap watt for watt equivalence to hps, but let's not pretend Mars hydro leds are in the same ball park as Cree cxb3590s. What's the overall efficiency of the Mars 1200? About 30% sound right? Top bin Cree cxb3590s driven at 75w each will be 48% efficient at the wall(mean well drivers).

@Stage, efficient leds for lighting, and adding a t5 uv reptile bulb gets what you need. Amare is taking this approach(also with some mono leds)

@Atulip....Thx bro. I knew I could count on your input. Do you like Vero 29 cob pairs run at 240 watts each as a cost effective alternative to the cree cxb3590?

@atulip....Thx bro. I knew I could count on your input. Do you like Vero 29 cob pairs run at 240 watts each as a cost effective alternative to the cree cxb3590?

I say stick with the 3590s and aim for 50% efficiency or more. I lost my math but I was doing it for the 3590 Timber kits. They come pretty much plug and play at $2/w for 56% efficiency through the leds. ROI is like 11,000 hours for replacing 1000w of HPS(1798umol Hortilux) with 500w(1288umol) with these. Better spread coupled with no loss to the reflector should perform pretty similar to a 1000wer. You could build up to 700w and actually match the output of a brand new unreflected 1000w hps, and dial down if you like. I'm finding I need less light than I expected(replaced 600w hps with 340w @50% efficiency) but I was also running a cheap reflector before(I was a light noob).

PRODUCTS - DIY GROW LIGHT KITS - Timber Grow Lights

If you want an alternative to Cree check citizen led. They're hard to find right now but they perform better than veros at half the cost. They can't hit the same efficiencies at low watts like we see with Crees though, but some models are pretty cost effective at around 50% (clu048-1212 in 3500k 80cri is 50% efficient at 30w and $12.55 retail. Just nobody stocks them)

@Atulip. I have some citizens I believe in the cob x 6 budmaster.
Heard new vero coming in June. Currently the vero 29 v2 are a value and very available.

Budmaster has the older citizens I think, and they're running 90cri for some reason. Less efficient than the Vero probably.

I've found the 3000k 80cri clu058-3618 coming in stock soon, 132lm/w at 175w for $60. The same performance from a 50w Vero or a 100w 3590. I haven't looked into the new veros though.

High All,
I am looking for the forums input on which light performs better in a 4x4x7 tent LEC or LED?

It appears Cree cxb3590 have an edge over LEC in efficiency and lumen output,

Would you agree LEC has advantage over the cobs in UV spectrum?

Which should I embrace? LEC or COB LED?
Bro are u building or buying if buying go look at Amare technologies I have their solar eclipse 450uv
ad61413d2f86e5a5259987d39a156912.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using 420

I say stick with the 3590s and aim for 50% efficiency or more. I lost my math but I was doing it for the 3590 Timber kits. They come pretty much plug and play at $2/w for 56% efficiency through the leds. ROI is like 11,000 hours for replacing 1000w of HPS(1798umol Hortilux) with 500w(1288umol) with these. Better spread coupled with no loss to the reflector should perform pretty similar to a 1000wer. You could build up to 700w and actually match the output of a brand new unreflected 1000w hps, and dial down if you like. I'm finding I need less light than I expected(replaced 600w hps with 340w @50% efficiency) but I was also running a cheap reflector before(I was a light noob).

PRODUCTS - DIY GROW LIGHT KITS - Timber Grow Lights

If you want an alternative to Cree check citizen led. They're hard to find right now but they perform better than veros at half the cost. They can't hit the same efficiencies at low watts like we see with Crees though, but some models are pretty cost effective at around 50% (clu048-1212 in 3500k 80cri is 50% efficient at 30w and $12.55 retail. Just nobody stocks them)
Hey atulip say if I wanted to run 600w how many would I want?

3 of these. You need something to mount them onto still, I believe most people are using angled aluminum.

CREE CXB359 2W (4) COB KIT + MEANWELL HLG POWER SUPPLY - Timber Grow Lights

DIY video here for a non pre-wired kit similar to timbers.

Cutter Configs: part 1 DIY LED kit assembly - YouTube
@Atulip. Checked out the timber link you posted. I like the 4 cob kit with mw drivers all pre wired up with heat sinks and dimmer. I'm not really a diy guy but how would I go about mounting this kit to a bar. I see folks using the large heat sinks but I imagine that would be redundant. If I saw a couple of examples using one of these kits.

Bro are u building or buying if buying go look at Amare technologies I have their solar eclipse 450uv
ad61413d2f86e5a5259987d39a156912.jpg

Hi my dude. I'm curious about diy. I did check out your light and it's quite nice. A bit pricey tho.

If you want 600w of cobs would be 3 of those kits I linked. You can do actual DIY and save, buying the leds you want, heatsinks, power supply. Check growmau5 on YT, he has a 7 part DIY series if your interested.

50%+ efficiency commercial fixtures are running about $2.5/w right now. That'll be top bin cxb3590s ran at 75w or less, or cxb3070s at 50w each or less. I don't think any of the 420magazine sponsors are hitting this yet, so you'd need to research somewhere else.(it is against the rules to mention non sponsor led companies names or links or photographs of their lights on 420magazine)

If you want 600w of cobs would be 3 of those kits I linked. You can do actual DIY and save, buying the leds you want, heatsinks, power supply. Check growmau5 on YT, he has a 7 part DIY series if your interested.

50%+ efficiency commercial fixtures are running about $2.5/w right now. That'll be top bin cxb3590s ran at 75w or less, or cxb3070s at 50w each or less. I don't think any of the 420magazine sponsors are hitting this yet, so you'd need to research somewhere else.(it is against the rules to mention non sponsor led companies names or links or photographs of their lights on 420magazine)
Yeah I kno but Amare is a proud sponsor n I have the 3070 in my light I know they are very high quality they sent me pics of the 3070 n 3590 they use but I kinda want sumthing alil more versatile but thanks man for all the links I'll read up n when I get it up n running I'll tag u so u see how I did

@ATULIP. Checked out the timber link you posted. I like the 4 cob kit with mw drivers all pre wired up with heat sinks and dimmer. I'm not really a diy guy but how would I go about mounting this kit to a bar. I see folks using the large heat sinks but I imagine that would be redundant. If I saw a couple of examples using one of these kits.

Hello @Stage and @jaymu86,

For the Timber DIY kits, we drill and tap (4) holes in each heatsink and supply bolts for mounting to the frame of your choice. These are M3-.5 hex bolts drilled and tapped into each heatsink at 12, 3, 6 and 9 0'clock.

There is no assembly required - only attaching it to your frame.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to pm or email.

Thank you and safe growing!

Regards,
Dan
Timber Grow Lights

High Dan and thank you for responding. I'll drop you a pm.

Thank you Dan for the feedback. Passively cooled:thumb: lighting FTW!!!

Thanks all. Decided to go with the 4 cob cree kit with meanwells and dimmer @4000k.
Picked up some L shaped aluminum rails at 36" long. I'll post a pic here when done.

My goal is 4 kits for a total of 16 cobs 4 bars. 1 down 3 to go.

Back
Top Bottom