LEDs & Daylight

juicy steve

Hi,

I had a couple of autoflower seeds lying around that needed planting. I've put them up on a landing in front of a window that gets good sunlight most of the day, I'm in Spain, and getting good sun now.

As the daylight hours are quite short, I've also stuck up a couple of cheap LED grow lights, one per plant. They are 24w Taotronic e27 lights, from Amazon. I know they aren't amazing but I hoped they would stop the plants flowering by extending the daylight hours.

I'm now curious about a couple of things.

1) One of the plants has started showing evidence of flowering, 5 weeks in. I have not long extended the light cycle - could that be why and will it revert back to veg. I know a drastic shortening of light will cause flowering regardless, but can extending?

2) Would I be better just using LEDs in a dark roon rather than LEDs and sun? Probably a dumb question but will the sunlight confuse the plant?

Thanks.

Hi,

I had a couple of autoflower seeds lying around that needed planting. I've put them up on a landing in front of a window that gets good sunlight most of the day, I'm in Spain, and getting good sun now.

As the daylight hours are quite short, I've also stuck up a couple of cheap LED grow lights, one per plant. They are 24w Taotronic e27 lights, from Amazon. I know they aren't amazing but I hoped they would stop the plants flowering by extending the daylight hours.

I'm now curious about a couple of things.

1) One of the plants has started showing evidence of flowering, 5 weeks in. I have not long extended the light cycle - could that be why and will it revert back to veg. I know a drastic shortening of light will cause flowering regardless, but can extending?

2) Would I be better just using LEDs in a dark roon rather than LEDs and sun? Probably a dumb question but will the sunlight confuse the plant?

Thanks.

1. IF a plant starts flowering under short days, and then the daylength is extended where the plant no longer is receiving 11-12 hour long nights, then the plant generally will revert back to veg, also known as revegging.

2. I would say keep using the sunlight with the LED's. it wont confuse the plant, as long as you make sure each day that the plant is getting the same amount of light. If you forget to turn off an LED or something like that, then that could effect your plant, but if you put the LED's on a timer, you should be fine.

Thanks, all the nodes are leaves so looks like its vegging just fine, they are getting good sunlight now, and with the days getting longer they're going to get even more, so going to keep them where they are. I normally just do outdoor so wasn't sure about a few things and started panicing.

I had a few nights with only one light, I'm guessing that didn't help.

Back
Top Bottom