Help! Found used 600w HPS kit - What should I ask? Is it worth it?

CannaKitty

Long story short... found a USED Sylvania Grolux 600watt kit (Sylvania Bulb, Reflector, balast, and all cables) on an online classified site popular in my country. She wants 30 euro for the whole kit and she says it works and is in great condition. The picture provided is that of the reflector with the bulb in it (covered by its Sylvania box).

Basically... my question here is....what questions should I ask. I asked her for an approximate amount of hours used in my initial inquiry but... Italian is not her first language (she sounds Asian) and neither is it mine. She said it was used for 5 months. Is there a REASON why someone would ask so little? I imagine its a hard item for the average person to find a local buyer for....

She said it is packed so she can't provide me with a photograph of it on. That makes me a little nervous. I told her I would think about it because 3 hours (the drive it is away from me) is a long drive for something that doesn't work. I sent her a text asking for a photograph of the ballast at the very least because if she just has a bulb and reflector... I am not interested. I also reversed searched her phone number and it comes back as an auto shop. For a second I thought she might be a vendor because she said if the bulb doesn't work I can give you another one. But yet again that could have been lost in translation. She might of meant I could buy another one... the kit is still worth it... y'know?

I posted this here as opposed to in my grow journal as I am looking for a quick(er) answer. I would ideally go grab it this weekend...

I do not know what the deal is with sourcing on these forums still so I am afraid to put the link... It is in Italian anyway. It looks in top condition but its just a picture of a 600watt bulb in a reflector....

What to do... what to do...

Help!

Follow your instinct and stay away from it

Sounds like a greed sale to sucker someone in , maybe to follow you home but who knows she may just want it gone

When in doubt its best not to take a chance

Plus a new kit has a warranty and should be dependable where as a old one who knows how many hours are on it

They give them a 5 year average life

Help! Found Used 600w HPS kit. What should I ask? Is it worth it?

I'd go for it that's a great deal if the ballast and reflector are decent. Bulbs are cheap. Try to get a picture of the ballast.

Also is there anything around her area that would be something cool to do or see? Give you a reason to take the drive either way and worst case is you just don't buy it

I got started off a super sweet deal from a guy on Craigslist

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Okay guys... looks like I am going to go up there this weekend! It is in 'fine Verona where we lay our scene...' Hahaha. But literally she is in Verona. I guess I can go see Juliet's balcony if it doesn't work out :) I was able to get a little more info from the seller as well.

She is providing me photos of the ballast and hopefully one of the bulb actually ON today. I explained specifically I would like to know the brand of the ballast.
And listen to this guys... I did a bit of research and she has had many items on the classified site I spoke of ranging from office chairs to used cars. I think it is a family business that buys things at auction (surrendered/storage/who knows?) and then sells them for cheap. We were able to better converse through email and what she was saying about the bulbs was that she has acquired 50 of these used kits!!!! 50 600 watt Grolux HPS kits! She said she could discount more if I bought more than one and that if the bulb in one kit didn't work she has plenty she could exchange it with. This sounds like a great deal. I might get two! If I didn't think the shipping would be a HUGE hassle I would buy more and ebay the fuck out of 'em.

But if I buy two that means I have a second kit for parts and at 30 bucks a pop... why not?

That 600 watt HPS will surely blow my mars hydro out the fucking water... but... it just seems to good to pass up. Assuming the ballast is of decent quality though.

Most of you guys say go for it it... I will probably spend more on gas than the actual kits... but... it is what it is... Cross your fingers for me guys!!!

I will definitely insist on hooking it up to see it powered on when there. Still curious about their history... storage unit? grow up got busted? who knows!?!?

Okay... just to add. I am fairly certain they must of got them at some sort of repo auction as this is another listing they have...

420-magazine-mobile1745927176.jpg

What Else grows under 50 600 watt HPS lamps in square pots?!?!?

And since I am on my phone and can easily upload photos... this is the advertisement for the lamp(s)...

420-magazine-mobile503872024.jpg

Maybe try sending her a picture of a ballast to try and bridge that language gap

Maybe try sending her a picture of a ballast to try and bridge that language gap

Yeah... over email the conversation was easy. She has a strong Asian accent and I'm sure she thought my American one was ridiculous... but we both speak Italian just fine. Dialects in Italian are also very strong. Add that to a foreign accent. It can be very difficult... especially on the phone where you can't use other cues to understand what someone is trying to relay.

She said she will get me the brand and model number of the 'alimentatore' ;) and photograph it as well. So.... I wait... It really all depends on that because I see on ebay I can get a new 600 watt kit (basic no brand) from Spain for 90 euro. I did the math and the tolls alone are 23 euros each way and I am thinking I could do it on a tank of gas in my crap corolla... (can't bring a grow lamp home on the back of my motorcycle or it'd be a fun ride) so 60 euros there... I mean that is almost a hundred euro trip! Say I can get two lamps for 50 euro... that is a 150 euro for two used lamps... when I could get two brand new ones on ebay for 180... soooo not quite the deal it seems... when you factor is the crazy cost of gas in Europe and the Autostrada tolls...

Must think this over...

Oh wow, you pay a lot for petrol! I was curious and checked prices. You're paying US$1 more per liter than I am. That's insane! And then toll fees? About the only way it would make financial sense is if you did buy a bunch of them to sell on ebay. But selling and shipping without the original boxes would be a pain in the butt. Might be time to walk away.

Bumping because I was able to get photos of the ballasts...They are ELT magnetic ballasts... not digital but wasn't expecting them to be. They are made in Spain. Very good quality from what I have read. My local hydro shop currently sells them (same model) new for 70 euro... and they are asking 30 euro for ballast, bulb, reflector, and cables. Here are the pics. I am thinking it is worth the 60 euro trip... to buy two or three. You guys tell me what you think... I figure I could even part them out and sell on eBay....
420-magazine-mobile157008813.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2105480638.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1021291220.jpg

I also have 150 watt cfls on their way to me and haven't built reflectors for them yet... they obviously want to sell them as complete kits but say I buy four kits... two just for the reflectors and sell the ballasts on eBay to make them pay for themselves. Ugh... I don't know... I just don't know...

What the hell. Do it. Shipping just the ballasts would be easy, and you can always salvage the reflectors for your CFLs. And if you buy extras to keep then you'd have backups in case one goes down or you decide to expand your grow. That really is a good price if you buy in quantity to offset your travel costs. I'd take six of them for my outdoor greenhouse if only it was feasible.

So, Kitty, what did you decide? Curious mind needs to know. :)

Well... since there are 50 of 'em... I don't foresee someone coming in and buying them ALL up in the next week I decided to wait just a little. First, I think that will make the seller much more inclined to drop the price when I say I want 5 or more. More decidedly, my Dad has business here in Italy and is coming to visit me as well :) He arrives here on Thursday. My dad owns a newer... much more gas efficient car than mine... and doesn't mind traveling. I told him about the lights... how I thought they were a good deal as well as investment. He is a big ebayer himself. He also does a lot of work here in Italy so has the equivalent of a 'ezpass' which makes the tolls like half of the normal price. He is 'thinking about it'. I have really chill parents. My mom smokes weed because she has had rheumatoid arthritis since she was 21. She is 58 and has two hip replacements, both feet reset, and one knee done. So a lot of my trying to grow is trying to help my mom medicate. She is a teacher so she comes and spends her summers here with me in Italy... I am trying to time my first harvest for when she comes at the end of June.
Okay so to the point. If my father is willing to either drive with me as a mini father daughter adventure... we will go. If he is willing to let me borrow his car while he has work, I will go. But... if not... I am going to be investing in more Mars panels instead. Since you know the cost of petrol here... you wouldn't be surprised to know we pay astronomically for our electricity as well. The HPS is only worth it in my eyes if I get them dirt cheap, can recoup the expenses, and do a DIY cooling system... My seedlings will be one week old on Thursday and for now... the mars and cfls are fine so I am just trying to be patient. I am only concerned about having everything relatively settled by the time the plants are 3-4 weeks into veg in light of the 'push for females' theories.

So that is where things stand at the moment. In limbo. If i pick them up or not... I will definitely update the thread. If I don't go. I will be buying either two more mars 300s or one mars2 400 but ... that is not what this convo is about. I am happy with my LED and I am pretty sure the reason these HPS systems are so cheap is because of the cost of running them here in Italy.

Either way... I am getting my babies more light. I just need to figure out which option makes more sense :) My Dad is an aerospace engineer and general handyman so I am waiting on him to help me with a few things. I also live alone which is great but working with the jigsaw and 220 volt electricity makes me nervous when I live alone. Its great having the place to yourself until you cut off a finger or even fall in the fucking shower ;) 220 volts stings....

Anyway... whatever happens happens. If I spend 200 euro on a trip and picking up a few of the HPS kits versus spending 200 euro on more LED... each option kind of weighs itself out evenly I think.

What do you think? Are you an LED fan? Which option do you like :)

xxKitty
>^..^<

You have a refreshing intellect. I like that about you. It's clear that you've given this considerable thought and have a good understanding of the variables that impact the decision to purchase or walk away. I am presuming you're an expat from outside of Italy. If you're so inclined, I'm curious how you ended up there and how you make a living. Italian is not your first language but you speak it. Would I be close if I guessed that you're an educator? Way off topic, I know, but curiosity compels me.

Have you considered building your own LED system? I just put together a Cree 3590 LED system comprised of two sets of four 3590 COBs driven by two Mean Well HLG-320H-C2100b drivers. Far more efficient than the Mars devices, and they produce natural light. Fanleaf has a journal on his massive LED build that has so much useful information. It's a huge thread to sift through (64 pages and counting!) but it's what inspired me to build my own LED system. If you're at all interested in getting more cost efficient lighting for your grow it's worth the time to wade through his journal, and he's very helpful as well if you have questions. I'm currently running both HID and LEDs in my little grow.

I hope you update this thread as I'm curious as to what you decide to do.

IMG_049745.jpg

You have a refreshing intellect. I like that about you. It's clear that you've given this considerable thought and have a good understanding of the variables that impact the decision to purchase or walk away.

Well thank you kind sir. I like to thoroughly research things I am interested in. Some may call it a form of OCD.... without the Compulsive part... So just... fucking obsessive. I thoroughly immerse myself in whatever my current interest is. I have had many passions through out my life.

I am presuming you're an expat from outside of Italy. If you're so inclined, I'm curious how you ended up there and how you make a living. Italian is not your first language but you speak it. Would I be close if I guessed that you're an educator? Way off topic, I know, but curiosity compels me.

I am very lucky to be a dual national. I am both and American and Italian citizen. I moved to Italy... it will be four years in June. I originally moved her for two major reasons. I had hit total rock bottom on my path of addiction as a iv heroin addict... a total junkie. I grew up in Maryland between Baltimore and DC where the opiate epidemic hit hard. I did not know anyone that wasn't somehow effected by Oxycontin, Percocet, etc. I had been through rehabs, spent a little over 6 months in jail, and still couldn't cut the shit because of the environment I was in. I came here to kick dope as well as make good on all the horrible shit I put my family through.

My grandfather was 93 and nearing his final days in dementia. I moved here, got on a detox program, got PROPER psychiatric care for the first time in my life (all free due to the national healthcare) and also was able to take care of my Grandfather. As I mentioned he passed away about 9 months after I arrived.

After he passed I had the choice to go home.., face the legal problems I had waiting for me there, and put myself back into an environment that I would much more likely relapse in. I also had the choice to stay here, in the lovely little home my grandfather left me, less than a klick from the Mediterranean sea and try ... to start all over again. I was so homesick. I wanted to go home even if it meant me having to spend a year in prison. I was ready to go.

Then... My best friend back home died from an overdose two weeks after my Grandfather passed.

I'm not going back. There is nothing left for me there. My mother is a teacher and spends the summers with me already. Both her and my father retire in a few years, they are both dual citizens as well. Financially they can have a better retirement here. Especially with my mothers medical problems. I am an only child. My parents met in the town I live in :) There is an American army base here that was huge in the 70's when my parents were kids and both had military parents. So they met at the American School on base.

That's my story... well the long short version of it. Oh... as for work. I wasted a LOT of money on tuition getting my bfa in Music (Voice) but I also play the piano, guitar, and some others. I also went to cosmetology school after college because I always liked it and didn't want to pay on my student loans yet. I was working on trying to be a musician. You can delay paying by remaining just barely a full time student and I did that by staying in cosmetology school. I also got my tefl when I moved here so I can teach English. So I do a LOT of different things! I don't have a lot of expenses because the home I live in was left to me by my grandfather as well as my car. I teach private English lessons, music lessons, and I do hair sometimes :) I also work from home for a British sex toy site. I take customer service calls from Italian... and English but they forward me all the Italian calls. That is the most steady income I have. I know its weird... but is what it is. No shame here. I stumbled upon the job while doing microtasking for mturk. Have you heard of mturk? It is a crowd sourcing micro task platform by amazon where you complete 'microjobs' like short transcriptions, research studies, translations,etc and get paid per task. You make anywhere from 50 cents to 10 bucks a task depending on the work involved. Its great for weed money!

I have always been of the belief that you, work to live not live to work. Work for me is just a means of supporting my true passions. I have never fallen into the American 'career' mentality. I lose interest to fats to be stuck in one place doing one thing for my whole life. This is also a very Italian mentality. In a country with socialized medical care and great labor laws people take on all sorts of jobs... and they don't consider it a career. Live is for living not working.

Phew.... sorry. My situation is... complicated. When asked I feel like I have to kind of explain everything or else it doesn't make sense and I come off as a a bullshitter. Why would an American girl in her late 20's be living alone in Italy 3,500 miles away from her family for no apparent reason? Well... that is why... :p

Have you considered building your own LED system?

Just yesterday I started looking into it... so yes. I don't know if I have the electronic skills to pull off such a task though. It seems a bit overwhelming. If I had my dad around I would definitely do it. I do have a decent set of tools because my dad keeps a collection. As I mentioned he is an aerospace engineer so their is engineer in my blood :) Another passion of mine is cars. Throughout college I worked for a classic and exotic care dealership. My first new car was a 2004 Pontiac GTO... I miss my big blocks here in Italy :( So I know my way around a motor... but electronic shit has always been beyond me. I am a carburetor kind of girl.

How much did you spend on your DIY and how many true watts do you get out of such expense? Do you think someone without soldering/electrician experience could undertake take on such a task successfully? I can install a new car stereo/speakers! That's about as far as my abilities have been tested. I have been reading that Cree is the way to go... other than that I have not absorbed enough information on the subject to speak in any educated manner.

Sorry I wrote a novel. I am answering calls this morning and typing between customers so ended up writing way more than necessary. I am a very chatty person if you haven't notice by now.

xxKitty
>^..^<

PS I fucking love the TARDIS entrance!!!! :circle-of-love:

We are very much the same type of people and share the same outlook on life. I've lived more, travelled more, and done more in my almost 60 years than most people could ever imagine. And like you, it takes a short story to cover it all! And you're still in your twenties! You're doing it right, girl. That career mentality isn't for everybody. The closest thing I've ever had to a career was ten years with UPS, right out of school with a brand new Electrical Engineering degree, and the only reason it worked was because I ran an airport operation that was fast paced enough to keep me interested, and I got to fly a wide range of equipment.

But then I started a very successful audio engineering company with a friend, sold it, started a residential home theater company, sold it, and in my spare time I became the head brewer for a craft brew company and started a body piercing business. Within a short time the body piercing pushed the other endeavors to the past, and for a few short years that's all I did. Then, not wanting all my eggs in one basket, I started a bail bond agency, crafted state legislation for the professionalization of fugitive recovery agents, became the first licensed recovery agent in the state, became the primary lethal/less-lethal instructor for that field (my original goal in shaping the laws), and returned thousands of skips back into custody all over the US (don't worry, Italy is out of my jurisdiction :) ). I'm back to just running the tattoo and piercing shop now.

And before all of that I spent eight years on the road with a band playing guitar. Even that got to be a drag. We were on a Japan tour but one night in a hotel room in Hawaii were were all sitting around and I asked the guys if it was fun any more or if it seemed like a real job. We pulled the plug. It had become a real job. LOL.

And before that I was a biker/surf bum and importer/distributor of small quantity high value commodities. I'm still a biker, hence my avatar.

And CARS! YES! They have always been a passion. My family drag raced boats so I cut my teeth on raw power and race fuel, but my enduring love is European cars. I haven't owned an American brand vehicle since I was a kid. I have two 2002 Saab Viggens, a 1989 Saab Turbo convertible, a '67 Land Rover 109, a Disco, and a Range Rover. I've had Triumphs and MGs (I can tune Stomberg and SU carbs in my sleep), VW squarebacks (perfect surfboard hauler), a Citroen DS21, and too many Saabs to count.

Passionate obsessions have driven my life.

It's awesome that you got clean, Kitty. I've been down that path and lost friends. And like you, the only way to escape it is a change of scenery. You definitely made the right choice. Besides, who wouldn't want a house near the sea in Italy? LOL

OK, back to the topic at hand. Building an LED system is a no brainer. Seriously... no brains are needed. Describe the space you want to cover and someone here will lay it out for you. No soldering skills are required. If you can drill a hole you're good to go. Reduced power usage, reduced heat output, natural white light, and given the cost of power in Italy, it too is a no brainer. I'd skip the used HIDs and stick with LEDs

I think I have about US$900 in my build. True watts? No idea. That'd be a question for Fanleaf. PM him. I'm relying on other's experience here. :)

Back
Top Bottom