400W CoolTube Question

rich2517x

Hi All,

Im planning my first hydro grow, I plan on doing it properly this time!

I want a 400w Digital Ballast CoolTube System - Complete 400w Digital Grow Light, HPS & MH Bulbs for Pros

My question is about the extraction from the Cooltube.

This system comes with an inline 5" Axial Fan. Does anyone know if these are really 'man enough' to extract the heat from the lamp and say down 3m of ducting?

If not would I be able to vent in the following order;

Carbon Filter - Ducting - CoolTube - Ducting - Hyperfan - Ducting - Atmosphere.

In other words, use my grow room extractor to pull through the cooltube, or is this asking for problems?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Rich,

Our growroom ventilation starts at a 400w cool tube inside of a tent, ducting, thru a 600w fixture inside of a hood, more ducting, 6" variable speed extraction fan, then 30 feet of ducting exiting thru the roof. We have no need for a carbon filter but this setup is working beautifully even with the fan on its lowest setting.

I have never used a cool tube with internal fan like yours but I've always felt skeptical of how effective the fan would be.

I once heard the grow boss say that hydro needs minimum of 600w in flower or you run short on light at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

My guess is maybe. I'll tell you why. I am currently running a 600 watt MH sealed hood with exhaust. I am moving the air with a 6" inline booster fan similar to the 5". My ballast is set at 50% so I'm running 300 watts when I turn the ballast up to 75% 450 watts after 2 hours my room is to hot and the fan is just not moving enough air to cool it down. I am picking up a Can Fan to move much more air so that I can run at higher watts.

In your setup it might work if your room temps stay low but watch out for temps to rise.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

Hi,

Yes im now looking into getting a 600w. For my tent size 400w is right on the minimum.

If I do a 600w, this reflector does not come with an inline fan, so I will hook it up to my speed/temp controlled Hyperfan.

I cant really see why it wouldnt work, i guess the Hyperfan would have to pull harder, but its well over spec'ed for the room. And as you say, you are pulling the air over two lights without heat issues.

Hi,

Yes im now looking into getting a 600w. For my tent size 400w is right on the minimum.

If I do a 600w, this reflector does not come with an inline fan, so I will hook it up to my speed/temp controlled Hyperfan.

I cant really see why it wouldnt work, i guess the Hyperfan would have to pull harder, but its well over spec'ed for the room. And as you say, you are pulling the air over two lights without heat issues.

Yep, the only thing I'd be cautious about is the specifics of your grow room. The room I described is in a nice cool basement area that I believe stays cool MUCH easier than a tent in a bedroom when the heat of HID lightning is concerned.

Hydro Guy Gets Dirty In MA

Back
Top Bottom