Have I overdone the lighting for a small grow?

pooloss

I think I might have overdone the lighting a bit... :cheesygrinsmiley:

I welded in a 2nd bracket to my cool-tube light to hold an extra bulb, so planning on running 1 x 600W MH + 1 x 600W HPS for my next grow (along with CO2, etc)

I'll be growing 4 plants in a 5 x 6 scrog net.

The only issue I have is that the room height isn't great. Any idea the minimum distance that this 1200W beast can be from the plants? Do you think 1 foot is too close? The cool-tube is circulating 23C air from air-con work space next door, so heat isn't an issue - just worried about bleaching the plants.

Any feedback is welcome.

how do pooloss nice secluded space. i dont think you can overdo lighting look at the big bulb in the sky. i think maybe you would want to keep plants as low as possible given the plant growth then the stretch once flowering begins. how many plants you thinking? regards

How do mate! Just concerned about bleaching the plants, really hoping a foot distance from the bulb to the plant will be OK.

I have a PAR meter coming tomorrow, so looking forward to take some readings.

I'm going 4 plants in a 5 x 6 scrog net. So hoping for maybe 25 colas / plant. 100 colas in total.

Fire up both bulbs to working temps, then hold your hand a foot from the light for a minute.... 1200 watts 12" from your plants will fry the tops.... You can cool the reflector, but that doesn't cut down much on the intensity of the radiated heat from the bulbs... You need more height, which you don't have...
Also, don't look at the big bulb in the sky too long...

I guess I'd need 2 foot of clearance, meaning the colas can be maximum 1 foot. I guess that's OK.

Otherwise, I will just have to use one bulb at a time, i.e. MH for Veg and HPS for Flower.

What's the height under the light and what kinda plants are you gonna grow? Just keep in mind the size of you plants at the end of the flower cycle. Indies average twice their size, while Sativa can triple. 1.5 feet of veg equals 3 feet finished. Can't wait to see your Scrog!

Hey Buddy. I have Northern Lights #5 here ready to go. Unfortunately height isn't that great - about 4 foot maximum. I'm going to train them for a bit to spread them out, then scrog them as low as possible before flicking to 12/12.

My last grow was Jack Herer and the stretch from them was insane, more than double the size, left me with 1 foot from the light (phew!)

Hey Buddy. I have Northern Lights #5 here ready to go. Unfortunately height isn't that great - about 4 foot maximum. I'm going to train them for a bit to spread them out, then scrog them as low as possible before flicking to 12/12.

My last grow was Jack Herer and the stretch from them was insane, more than double the size, left me with 1 foot from the light (phew!)

At least you've been there before and have an idea of what to expect. I'm going with the Mainline approach. I topped my babies today, tough to pull that trigger. Just snipped off a nice top and a couple of descent fan leaves. When are you gonna fire up the next session? :bong:

Hey Man. I'm keeping these babies as low as possible, I've ran out of space before on my first grow. I'll top them at the 2nd or 3rd node, then again at the 4th.

Seeds are germinating now.... :) Next grow will be a high CBD strain like Cannatonic. I also want to do Tora Bora - supposed to be a crazy strong strain.

Sounds like you've got everything lined up. I'm on my first grow in a long long time, but I remember the basics. I'm fortunate to have a home with an east and south facing window, as well as I'm able to work from home. As we roll into summer I can get my plants at least 10 hours of sunlight while still in the house. Not sure if I wanna do seed or not, seems kinda pricey to gamble on getting a male. Did I miss something? How do you know you've got female when you start from seed?

Back
Top Bottom