Light issue

festus59

420 Member
I am using King Plus 800w Double Chips LED Grow Light Full Specturm for Greenhouse and Indoor Plant Flowering Growing (10w Leds)ing. Never used one before. Fan motors to cool light are producing an extreme amount of heat similar to HPS. Was under impression that low heat was one of the benefits of LED lighting. Again I want to make clear it is not the light making heat, but rather cooling fans. Did I get A bad one?

I also use the kin plus LED grow light. but I think it's a bad brand cos I bought one year ago and my garden's plants not have obviously grow up. I don't like and my garden also.

I am using King Plus 800w Double Chips LED Grow Light Full Specturm for Greenhouse and Indoor Plant Flowering Growing (10w Leds)ing. Never used one before. Fan motors to cool light are producing an extreme amount of heat similar to HPS. Was under impression that low heat was one of the benefits of LED lighting. Again I want to make clear it is not the light making heat, but rather cooling fans. Did I get A bad one?

Heat is the same for wattage used... so a 1000w HPS will add the same heat to a room as a 1000w LED.

LED's aren't cooler, but being that they use light more efficiently, you could generally replace a 1000w HPS with around 700w or LED to get similar yields, therefore because of the lower wattage the 700w LED would put out less heat than a 1000w HPS... but when wattage draw is equal, so is heat :)

Heat is the same for wattage used... so a 1000w HPS will add the same heat to a room as a 1000w LED.

LED's aren't cooler, but being that they use light more efficiently, you could generally replace a 1000w HPS with around 700w or LED to get similar yields, therefore because of the lower wattage the 700w LED would put out less heat than a 1000w HPS... but when wattage draw is equal, so is heat :)

I think you have mixed up your facts there icemud. When wattage is drawn from the wall it is converted into either light or heat, and the amount of light/heat will always equal the total amount of watts.
So for example a 1000w led at 55% efficiently will convert too 550 PAR watts the other 450watts is converted directly too heat.
1000w HPS at 40% efficiency would be pushing out 600 watts converted directly too heat.
1000w metal halide at 35% converts 650watts into heat.
1000w of cfl at 25% efficiency is going to be putting out 750w of heat.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I think you have mixed up your facts there icemud. When wattage is drawn from the wall it is converted into either light or heat, and the amount of light/heat will always equal the total amount of watts.
So for example a 1000w led at 55% efficiently will convert too 550 PAR watts the other 450watts is converted directly too heat.
1000w HPS at 40% efficiency would be pushing out 600 watts converted directly too heat.
1000w metal halide at 35% converts 650watts into heat.
1000w of cfl at 25% efficiency is going to be putting out 750w of heat.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

nope... actually I didn't... remember that photons (light) also create heat when they hit a surface and are absorbed. This is the same reason a bedroom goes dark immediately when you flip off the light switch. All the photons are absorbed.

for example 1000w hps with 40% efficiency upts out 600w of heat directly...and 40% heat is from when photons hit the surrounding surfaces... still equal to 100% of the total wattage. (the only very slight difference would be with live plants who store very small percentages of this a stored energy).

efficiency in this case doesn't matter.

heat is the lowest form of energy :)

also to note... LED"s can actually run hotter as most LED designs do not have a way to directly evacuate the heat out of the grow area...they blow it into the grow area. HPS with air cooled hoods actually can evacuate some of this heat therefore actually can run cooler even though the heat load is the same if the wattage is equal.

Environment can slightly alter this to the effects of what materials surround the grow area, and how they reflect, conduct and transfer heat outside the grow area. The physics behind what I am saying though is still correct that equal heat for equal wattage draw.

That makes complete sense too me Icemud, thanks for explaining that in depth!! I'm really enjoying this forum for the fact we can have constructive debates without people getting offended and actually offering constructive feedback! :) Just when I think I'm getting a grasp on the science of this I find out there is so much more too learn!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

LED"s can actually run hotter as most LED designs do not have a way to directly evacuate the heat out of the grow area...they blow it into the grow area.

So as you've mentioned here this is possibly the op's problem.
Fans and internal drivers/resistors are also producing heat from the lighting unit, possible solution would be to rig up some kind of extraction system too move the hot air from the unit to outside the grow area

That makes complete sense too me Icemud, thanks for explaining that in depth!! I'm really enjoying this forum for the fact we can have constructive debates without people getting offended and actually offering constructive feedback! :) Just when I think I'm getting a grasp on the science of this I find out there is so much more too learn!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine
I 420% agree with you about 420 Mag being a friendly place. Im a member on a couple other forums but hardly participate due to the same reason. Some forums you just say hello and have people attacking and talking trash.... I've always appreciated 420 magazine staff and members for keeping it a civil and friendly forum :)

I'm happy to help out and thank you for your kind words :) Happy Friday!

Back
Top Bottom