DIY Led Cob Build

lxstnr

Hey all, decided to jump on the led train and try my hand at a DIY cob.

Ive got the aluminum for the frame and a driver already but the cobs holders, and heatsinks are still in the mail.

I could not find a diy/ build section of the forum so i figured i would just do it here.

I have 5x clu048 (citizen 117.5w 3500k) and 5x clu048 (citizen 117.5 3000k) in the mail, don't intend to run them full power and will only be using 9, but buying 5 together is cheaper than 4 seperate.

DIY Led Cob build.

These are the tools I have for the build

420-magazine-mobile655350893.jpg

My big ol grinder

420-magazine-mobile695934204.jpg

My not so big milling machine

Also will be using hand tools like files, drills, hacksaw, etc.

420-magazine-mobile902404713.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1013701188.jpg

Here are my materials so far (just a bunch of 4 ft aluminum angle iron) and a hlg-240H-C1750

finally, here is my general plan for how the fixture will look

420-magazine-mobile1990286279.jpg

420-magazine-mobile430224087.jpg
l

First thing to do is to get my pieces size

so measure them out and cut them all with the hack saw

420-magazine-mobile1391185002.jpg

once im done with that ill go ahead and square them all up on my grinder

420-magazine-mobile1100665531.jpg

I just use a piece of wood, set it at a 90 degree angle from the belt and grind away, make sure if your working with aluminum and are creating dust to wear a respirator and get it all vacuumed up once your done.

I think they all look good bound together but running multiple lights from one driver means they all fail if that single driver does. I prefer a bit of room to manoeuvre

IMG_084338.JPG

I've never had a Meanwell HLG driver fail. I've had 2 out of 5 cheap Chinese eBay driver's fail though. One severely melted and almost caught fire.

I've never had a Meanwell HLG driver fail. I've had 2 out of 5 cheap Chinese eBay driver's fail though. One severely melted and almost caught fire.

To be truthful one of mine failed too, I just wasn't sure if it was my dodgy soldering. The rest are still going strong and probably will do for a few years :)

Unless I touch them while they're on lmfao

I think they all look good bound together but running multiple lights from one driver means they all fail if that single driver does. I prefer a bit of room to manoeuvre

IMG_084338.JPG

Yeah i was thinking about that, i think i may get another, run the more powerful one to the 4 lights on the corners and the less powerful to the 5 in the middle and edges.

IMG_084338.JPG

the way that I want to make them they will at some point be able to come apart into 3 seperate light bars, but until i get 2 more drivers they will be a unit

DIY Led Cob build.

whats the footprint of your light? and hows the penetration? red looks good, i was thinking gold, cuz well gold...

That particular light is a 9 (or 10) cob light built on the Vero 18 platform. It has 5 Vero 18 4000k and 5 Vero 18 1750k chips. Penetration is good for SCROG and micro grows up to 2 feet tall but I wouldn't use it for anything taller.
It's a 20x20" light designed for full wall to wall coverage in a 24x24 tent. Or use two together for a full coverage 2x4 tent.
Here's the video on the 1750k "Meatchip" Vero I made for my first flowering test. I'll be posting a follow up video in June for the full 10 cob array "start to finish" grow.
PAR Testing the BXRC-17E Vero 18. Tent test. - YouTube

DIY Led Cob build.

I'm working on it. I did a par test video of the Cree 6500k top bin DD series. Send me a CLU 048 1818 and I'll do a CXB vs CLU vs Vero
Lol

Back
Top Bottom